0w20 vs 0w30 ?

Higher HTHS protects against wear. It is a documented fact.

If the vehicle is always driven in normal service, there are no mechanical defects such as leaky injector or coolant leaks into the crankcase, no over heats. The 0w20 is fine. But the additional barrier of viscosity adds a layer of protection.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by CT8
0w-30 gives an added margin of protection.

How?

Last edited:
Thanks guys...
I heard that the higher last number is more suited for "aggressive driving " or for high speeds that's why many Euro pool ena cars run Xw40 weight !
True ?
It also said that Xw40 will protect better from sludge ....
Some say that Xw30 instead xw20 gives more advantage in high speed or driving in summer ? Is that true ?

0W-20 was more or less a way to meet CAFE but it also made tribologists think outside of the box when it came to formulating oil. I'd feel fine using 0W-20 in a car that specifies it - with the advent of dexos specs which seem to be tougher than API or ILSAC's specs you can't really pick a bad oil these days.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka

It also said that Xw40 will protect better from sludge ....
Some say that Xw30 instead xw20 gives more advantage in high speed or driving in summer ? Is that true ?

It's the add pack in your oil that prevents sludge. Changing your oil regularly and making sure the PCV system is working keeps sludge at bay. Even D1G2 or VW 50x/MB229.x specs can't override neglect. Sludge happens from neglect, varnish from the normal process of oil vapors getting oxidized and drying up on the valvetrain and crankcase is fine as long as it doesn't excessively build up.

For the second point there is some truth. A thicker oil won't hurt for sustained high-speed driving or track days which a Highlander will never see. Stick to a good 0W-20 and don't lose sleep over it.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Hi!
Seems like many cars using 0w20 weight ...
For example if car specs require 0w20 but I want to use 0w30 at summer will it protect the engine better??
What if the main difference 0w20 vs 0w30 ?
Does 0w20 flow better ? I heard that thicker oil like Xw40 prtotect better ? Is the true ?

I wouldn't hesitate to run 0W30 in the summer. In fact I'd run it all year.

The reason I go heavier is that I do a bit of towing with 4-6k pounds for a a couple of hundred miles, or I do extended highway driving in high temperatures Such as 75-80 mph in 95-110 degree temps for 5 hours straight.
I used to drive a lot of mountain roads..when I lived in Colorado. Those long climbs fully loaded as well as tooling around mountain trails in 4 lo for hours.

All of these make the engine turn faster, working It harder and creating more heat from engine speed.
The environmental conditions of high alttitude and/ or high ambient temps have an effect on cooling systems and oil sump temperatures.

I still have 0w20 in my stock. I use it in the vehicle getting more domestic in town use. If all I did was my 7 mile commute to work and in town errands..0w20would be used with confidence.
That's what's in the 4 runner right now because my wife drives it, never tows and rarely goes farther than 10-15 miles. when she does it is a congested interstate where the brakes work harder than the engine so 0w20 is fine.

Toyota still has the sustained high speed driving note in the owners manual suggesting a thicker oil may be better suited in certain cases.
Ambient Temperature and oil,grade charts are still relevant, as is service type.
Most people will be fine running the one grade, the driving styles of the majority of Americans is well documented.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Higher HTHS protects against wear. It is a documented fact.

Originally Posted by CT8
0w-30 gives an added margin of protection.

How?

Right. That's a given but he said 0W-30 blah blah. A 30 can have an HTHS close to a 20 and a 20 can have an HTHS close to 30. I don't think he was referring to HTHS. Just that a 0W-30 protects better.

Right. That's a given but he said 0W-30 blah blah. A 30 can have an HTHS close to a 20 and a 20 can have an HTHS close to 30. I don't think he was referring to HTHS. Just that a 0W-30 protects better.

As in a higher MOFT?

... Toyota still has the sustained high speed driving note in the owners manual suggesting a thicker oil may be better suited in certain cases.
Ambient Temperature and oil,grade charts are still relevant, as is service type.
Most people will be fine running the one grade, the driving styles of the majority of Americans is well documented.

They WANT to tell you to use thicker oil ...

But they aren't allowed to. CAFE says the oil grade you use to measure fuel economy with is the oil grade you spec for the engine. Period.

Read between the lines ...

I know.

Originally Posted by geeman789

... Toyota still has the sustained high speed driving note in the owners manual suggesting a thicker oil may be better suited in certain cases.

They WANT to tell you to use thicker oil ...

But they aren't allowed to. CAFE says the oil grade you use to measure fuel economy with is the oil grade you spec for the engine. Period.

Read between the lines ...

I guess I don't understand why it is such a big deal for some of you. If 0w20 works just as well, and it does---vehicles are getting over 100,000 on it with engines looking fantastic and have great UOA's AND you get better fuel economy, then why the fuss?

***I am not being snarky or anything...I really don't understand. I am not mechanically inclined. Please educate me.

Originally Posted by IMPALA08
How about mixing 0w30 and 0w40

Just run a 0w40 on the thinner side of the range. Works great for me.

Last edited:
100k is aiming low.
It's not just to get the engine to run a high mileage, it is to run it to a high mileage while maintaining the original performance.
Hydrodynamic lubrication is a virtually no wear state, higher film thickness or HTHS, will maintain hydrodynamic lubrications more often.

Originally Posted by Tundra73
I guess I don't understand why it is such a big deal for some of you. If 0w20 works just as well, and it does---vehicles are getting over 100,000 on it with engines looking fantastic and have great UOA's AND you get better fuel economy, then why the fuss?

***I am not being snarky or anything...I really don't understand. I am not mechanically inclined. Please educate me.

Just run the 0W 20 your car will be in the junkyard long before the engine wears out on it.

Last edited:
My 2020 Cayenne has the same engine as the S4 and is rated for Porsche C20 0w20. Pretty sure it's a CAFE thing because that same engine gets heavier weights outside of North America.

I think I am probably going to switch to a nice Porsche C30 oil 0w30 like Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 or M1 ESP 5w30. I do sometimes get on it after it's warmed up.

My 2020 Cayenne has the same engine as the S4 and is rated for Porsche C20 0w20. Pretty sure it's a CAFE thing because that same engine gets heavier weights outside of North America.

I think I am probably going to switch to a nice Porsche C30 oil 0w30 like Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 or M1 ESP 5w30. I do sometimes get on it after it's warmed up.
No, Porsche in Germany that has C20 standard use VAG 0w-20 and it is pretty cheap. €40 shipped for 5 L. Many oil analysis for VW engines that use 0w-20 so far are better in average than reported 5w-30. It may be related to the additives requirements for 0w-20 for VAG certified 508/509 and C20 are.

I really doubt you're going to get a noticeable wear difference on any of the engine components on a 20 vs 30 weight oil. However, where I would be inclined to use a heavier oil is I have a turbo engine known for timing chain stretch so I might go with a 0W40 to mitigate against that.

I really doubt you're going to get a noticeable wear difference on any of the engine components on a 20 vs 30 weight oil. However, where I would be inclined to use a heavier oil is I have a turbo engine known for timing chain stretch so I might go with a 0W40 to mitigate against that.
And you certainly aren't going to measure it through a UOA no matter what.

I just got my Blackstone lab report back an hour ago. I run 0W-20 in my 2020 3.0 "Mini-Max" Diesel. All wear metals were at or below the universal averages and although I usually run 5-6k OCI's they recommended 7500 and stated "This engine is doing very well from our point of view". That OCI included some towing and hauling as well as sub zero driving and start ups. My wife's 2016 Highlander also takes 0W20 and has great reports as well. Summer or winter...

Back