Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 0W-30/5W-30 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
$22 at Walmart

The Blackstone report highlights the difference between the 0W30 and the 5W30.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the post and for paying for the VOA. I have it in my Burb with a 6.0.
It does a cold start every afternoon using the remote starter. Lowest temp this January was -24 C. 5w30 would suffice, but this was a touch thinner at that temp.
smile.gif

I have several qts of this to use up in an 08 impala. Is the moly being so low a concern?

Originally Posted by D1dad
I have several qts of this to use up in an 08 impala. Is the moly being so low a concern?

If it carries a needed specification or approval, why would the composition be a concern?

Has anyone asked BS is they can test for the additives used in ACEA CX oils which are used in lieu of what is commonly found in ACEA Ax/Bx?

+1 on thanks for paying to do a VOA on this oil. I'm planning to switch to it next OCI.

Based on Blackstone's report, the KV@100*C is 12.38 which you could call 12.4 and flashpoint of 470*F or 243.3*C.

I don't see either of those value differences, compared to the PDF, as significant.

Originally Posted by andreigbs
Based on Blackstone's report, the KV@100*C is 12.38 which you could call 12.4 and flashpoint of 470*F or 243.3*C.

I don't see either of those value differences, compared to the PDF, as significant.

Yes, flashpoint determination is very subjective and has a high repeatability value per the ASTM procedure. It also doesn't have much relevancy for oil service.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by D1dad

If it carries a needed specification or approval, why would the composition be a concern?

Because moly...
Some people are just insistent on it. Which never really made any sense to me.
Why is it that this anti wear additive is the one that many people focus on?
My question is not pointed at D1dad in particular but this example just highlights the phenomenon.

For those out there that would make a comment like this, can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!!!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
What other specs does Euro meet over regular PP 5W30?
Is this for diesel engines?
I started seeing Euro L in local WM recently.

Yes, the Euro L applies to modern diesels as well as gas engines. Here are the relevant specs:

- BMW LL-04
- MB 229.31 and 229.51

Note that there is an additional product called Euro LX (a 0w30) which carries these specs:
- MB 229.31, 229.51, 229.52
- VW 504/507
- Porsche C30

Some might say the LX is an even better oil, it certainly is harder to find. You can generally find the Euro L on the shelf at Wal-mart.

At one time there were three flavors available:

Euro L 5w30 is Dexos2 but has no VW approvals.
Euro LX 0w30 is VW 504/507 but no Dexos 2
Euro AV 5w-30 is VW 502.00/505.01/505.00

Not sure what that's all about.

Ive seen different numbers published by Penzoil for the 5W30 like 12.1 and 13.0, but Blackstone came back with 12.38. In the past when I did VOAs I too would get different than the published numbers from Blackstone. It could be there is no way to hit an exacting viscosity number during the manufacturing process. It could also be variations in the equipment use. What type of equipment does Penzoil or Blackstone use and is it calibrated?

The various oil manufacturers quite obviously adjust the formulas without letting us know. They could adjust it 10 times in 5 years or 2 times in 5 years, but we would never know. If Penzoil did adjust the formula did they also adjust the data on the website.

Lastly the oil manufacturers might be fibbing on the numbers. They say its 13 when its really viscosity 12.5. They try to make it look more "stout" than it actually is...

The other thing I wanted to point out is the 0W30 version contains moly while the 5W30 pushes thickness.

Last edited:
The 504/507 Lx is impossible to find and goes for $10-12 a quart when you do. Low-mid ash and extended drain intervals with good cleaning characteristics. For that price you can buy Motul and other top end 100% synthetic European oils. The 0W-30 is also a little thinner than what the manual calls for, 5W30, but does meet the spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back