Favorite Oil Analysis Provider ?

I have no experience with oil analysis providers - who do you like to use and why ?

I use Polaris Labs. Never tried Blackstone because there has been disagreements in the past with oil blenders about ZDDP content. Blackstone tends to read low on that.

Napa/Wix sells them... I Believe they are done by ALS . Don't have paperwork here in front of me but have used the a lot over the years.

I like Blackstone. Their commentary is typically more informative, IMO. I also get my results pretty quickly from them, since I'm not shipping far from their HQ.

Last I looked, their price was less than Polaris. What are they charging now?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I like Blackstone. Their commentary is typically more informative, IMO. I also get my results pretty quickly from them, since I'm not shipping far from their HQ.

I don't pay attention to the comments on UOAs. The report is usually pretty self-explanatory. Blackstone once made a fuss in the comments about having 300+ ppm lead, claiming abnormal bearing wear, and completely ignoring where I noted that the engine used leaded race fuel.
smirk2.gif

The price for Blackstone doesn't include TBN. That's $10 extra. (I think) Polaris includes TBN, oxidation, and nitration at no additional charge.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by IndyFan

I don't pay attention to the comments on UOAs. The report is usually pretty self-explanatory. Blackstone once made a fuss in the comments about having 300+ ppm lead, claiming abnormal bearing wear, and completely ignoring where I noted that the engine used leaded race fuel.
smirk2.gif

The price for Blackstone doesn't include TBN. That's $10 extra. (I think) Polaris includes TBN, oxidation, and nitration at no additional charge.

I've never had anything like that happen. I also don't need TBN. My OCI's are not long enough to worry about that with the oil I'm running. Even on my Ecoboost, which gets 10k OCI's on Mobil 1 5w30 EP, hasn't pushed the TBN to a low enough number to worry. I did a couple UOA's with TBN and they came back fine, so I don't need it. That is a nice feature of Polaris, though. if TBN is needed.

So what's the Polaris price? Last I checked it was a few bucks more than Blackstone. If you don't need TBN, then it can't be said Polaris is cheaper.

I've also many times emailed Blackstone with questions and they respond very quickly and with very thorough answers and explanations.

I like Terry Dyson at dysonanalysis.com. The fact that he includes a .wav file explaining the PDF report in detail is really nice.

NAPA is $16 and WIX is a little cheaper and they include TBN. You don't need to pay the prices Blackstone charges.

Polaris is only reasonable is you buy a 10 pack of their test kits. OAI uses Polaris and is fine but a little high priced.

I would pay extra to not get the Blackstone comments. They are annoying. But I don't use Blackstone.

*Now $22 ... I believe I will try the NAPA kit (I mile away) for $15 ... I appreciate the replies !
Originally Posted by discountdon
WIX Oil Analysis Kit for $12.47 - both NAPA & WIX use ALS Labs:

amazon link here

04.gif

Originally Posted by discountdon
WIX Oil Analysis Kit for $12.47 - both NAPA & WIX use ALS Labs:

amazon link here

04.gif

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Now $22 ... I believe I will try the NAPA kit (I mile away) for $15 ... I appreciate the replies !

when I snagged two last week both amazon fulfillment & this amazon seller had over a dozen in stock at that quoted price:

Froedge Machine & Supply, Inc.

direct link here to their page

$9.58 + shipping - they also have an additional 10% discount code ( REORDER10 )
20.gif

for those who can wait until they get inventory that is...

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I have no experience with oil analysis providers - who do you like to use and why ?

I have used Blackstone for many years and a number of vehicles and I love them. What I love is the fact that they keep your vehicle on file and when you get a new report done, the output they give you shows the history of the prior reports you had made on that vehicle....as well as the "averages" for similar vehicles. I like to be able to see the "trending" of the measurements over time and miles....it helps me see the affects of some of the modifications I might have made.....which start with stretching of miles between oil changes.

I never tried the other companies people suggested here....they may well be great too.

BTW: here is a video they did on their oil analysis reports describing what is contained and what it means:

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to DysonAnalysis? The site seems to be no longer registered and not a lot has been mentioned about Terry's site in a long time at at enthusiast site.

Just bought some NAPA kits are just under $16 each. Used one to send off an oil sample from a boat I am looking to buy. I sent it Express mail which costs more than the kit did.

I have been using NAPA for several years. I used Polaris before but NAPA is the same quality at less cost and easy to go to a NAPA store and pick up a few kits. (May need to wait a day for NAPA to get it to the store from warehouse).

Back