QSUD 5W-30 no longer HTO-06 rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently bought a Lincoln MKC with the 2.0L turbo and was looking at oils with the HTO-06 spec. Not sure if the Honda spec is even relevant nowadays with modern oils, but noticed that QS no longer list it on their labels. Castrol and M1 still do.

45B5311E-0E31-4413-8880-1F769B1BB6BC.jpeg

Is that a direct injection only T-GDI engine?

I'd be looking for dexos 1 gen 2, api sn+ and other turbo engine certs such as jeep ms-13340.

Yeah strange they don't mention it while Castrol and Mobil 1 do...

Given the HTO-06 is a old test.... One would think given the increased presence of turbo boosted motors. HTO-06 would be a good test specification to pass.

The Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic oil I am running mentioned being HTO-06 approved.

Last edited:
Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic oil is probably a much more severe rating.

Don't know about the missing certification, but the marketing blather on that label is hilarious.

Originally Posted by wdn
Don't know about the missing certification, but the marketing blather on that label is hilarious.

Marketing WORKS (except with certain BITOG'ers)!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic oil is probably a much more severe rating.

That's my thinking as well.....not gona lose sleep worrying about it.
Thanks CT8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Just recently bought a Lincoln MKC with the 2.0L turbo and was looking at oils with the HTO-06 spec. Not sure if the Honda spec is even relevant nowadays with modern oils, but noticed that QS no longer list it on their labels. Castrol and M1 still do.

That's because Honda/Acura HTO-06 (hot-tube oxidation '06) is an obsolete spec that was introduced in 2006 before API SN Resource Conserving/ILSAC GF-5 that tests for turbocharger deposits was introduced in October 2010. dexos1 Gen 2 that was introduced later is a far more strict spec for turbocharger deposits, which is what HTO-06 is about.

Honda oil specs explained (PDF)

Actually I disagree...

The HTO-06 is actually a test that tests something Dexos Gen 2 does not.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Actually I disagree...

The HTO-06 is actually a test that tests something Dexos Gen 2 does not.

See the presentation I posted. The only thing HTO-06 checks for is turbocharger deposits.

Honda/Acura HTO-06 was introduced in 2006 (hence the "hot-tube oxidation '06" test) before API oils started checking for turbocharger deposits with ILSAC GF-5/API SN Resource Conserving in October 2010. It has now become obsolete -- no new turbocharged Honda/Acura engine specs HTO-06 as far as I know. In fact new Honda/Acura vehicles simply spec API SN oils, which seem to meet the turbocharger-deposit requirements of HTO-06 oils back then. dexos1 Gen 2 is even more strict than API SN Resource Conserving for turbocharger deposits, and it's certainly superior to HTO-06.

Honda oil specs explained (PDF)

And given turbos being a lot more on use now... Other then being a "old" test but still applicable today. More so than ten years ago...

Last edited:
I've been running QSUD 5W/30 in my Hemi Ram because it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec and it's about $5 less than Mobil 1 at Walmart.

Do you all think QSUD is equivalent to regular Mobil 1?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I've been running QSUD 5W/30 in my Hemi Ram because it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec and it's about $5 less than Mobil 1 at Walmart.

Do you all think QSUD is equivalent to regular Mobil 1?

Absolutely, for the buck QSUD is a very good oil

Good to hear as I just bought some for my daughters Honda CRV and my Lexus CT200H

Originally Posted by Richie
Good to hear as I just bought some for my daughters Honda CRV and my Lexus CT200H

I've used QS for over 30 years, never experienced an oil related issue. Not one

Originally Posted by kschachn
Has anyone on here ever documented an oil-related failure when using an appropriately rated oil?

Hmmmmm....I give up, you tell me

Originally Posted by Richie

I've used QS for over 30 years, never experienced an oil related issue. Not one

"Quaker State motors don't know when to quit"....

"The big Q means Quality... Always has... Always will."

Very good ad lines by QS back in the late 80s into early 90s...

Quaker state is a underrated oil in my opinion. I have run Quaker State high mileage 5w30 in my car. In fact just recently ran it in there again. QSHM is my semi synthetic oil of choice for my Nissan Altima VQ.

And the $28.99 QS ultimate durability oil change deal at AZ is really a decent deal with getting the XL filter with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back