ACDelco UPF48R Ultraguard failure: low oil pressure after about 6k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After about 6k miles I noticed my oil pressure would hold at about 22 PSI. I'm too busy to change the oil so I rolled with it until I changed the oil and about a week ago (1/29) and the oil pressure has been holding steady at 38-40 PSI. What is going on here? Why did I lose oil pressure after only 6k miles? I drive 130 miles roundtrip to work 7 days every two weeks. I'll try to post photos of the filter cut open as soon as I bring my cutter home from the hangar.

History:

1/22/2019 OIL CHANGE. Fill 6qt Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic, Wix filter 57060XP. 92,982
4/1/2019 OIL CHANGE. Fill 6qt Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic, ACDelco filter UPF48R. 99,210
7/9/2019 OIL CHANGE. Fill 6qt Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic, ACDelco filter UPF48R. 107,519
10/19/2019 OIL CHANGE. Fill 6qt ACDelco Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 Synthetic, ACDelco filter UPF48R. 116,663
1/29/2019 OIL CHANGE. Fill 6qt Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic, ACDelco filter UPF48R. 125,128

Hi, welcome to BITOG
smile.gif

I think it could be a viscosity drop causing the oil pressure to get down. Maybe fuel dilution or something else.

And you made a typo writing the last date

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chipdumper
After about 6k miles I noticed my oil pressure would hold at about 22 PSI. I'm too busy to change the oil so I rolled with it until I changed the oil and about a week ago (1/29) and the oil pressure has been holding steady at 38-40 PSI.

At idle? ... with the oil at the same exact temperature?

Thanks for the typo alert; i just fixed it in my overall spreadsheet. I bought it used on 1/21/2019 from the second owner (old man; retired Lineman) who bought it in 2011 from Enterprise rental when it had about 17k miles. Thats the PSI at cruise 63MPH. Due to the AFM issues I did the software AFM delete (via HP Tuners) and also installed a catch can. I trap a TON of water! About 3-4oz of water-oil emulsion every 1000 miles or so. If I let it sit for a few days the water separates from the oil and it drains clear for several seconds lol. I have to use a coffee can to catch it its so much and just installed a ball valve drain...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you see an emulsion in the oil filter you may have a coolant leak. Let us know. I take it you have a 5.3. The oil pressure gauge is at the top of the engine, driver's side. Any plugging of the oil filter will cause an oil pressure drop at the sensor until it's bad enough to open the bypass on the filter.

Last edited:
The oil pressure sensors in those years like to go out. They are ever so fun to replace. There is also a screen under the sensor.

Quick to blame the filter aren't we??

The only way to prove you theory is to hook up 2 pressure gauges & measure the Pressure delta across the filter, This also assumes the Bypass Valve in the filter failed as well.

1st pic....Pre filter tap. 2nd pic....Post filter tap.
The post filter tab is actually behind the block-off plate above the filter, I find it easier to find a extra block-off plate & drill/tap it to 1/8" NPT for the gauge whip.
Same for the pre filter tab.....Find an extra plug & drill/tap it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jhellwig
The oil pressure sensors in those years like to go out. They are ever so fun to replace. There is also a screen under the sensor.

Yes sir....The 3-wire, 5-volt referenced, Oil Pressure transducers are highly suspect, But the normal mode of failure is internal short to 5-volt making the gauge peg at max pressure. Scan data will read @140 psi with the key-on engine-off.

AFM engines have the screen.

I've installed hundreds of UPF48R filters over the years & have yet to have an issue with one.

Chris, What kind of LS-swap are you working on?

I do not recognize that red aftermarket K-member and the front suspension.

Those pic's are of my 2001 Camaro, During the 5.3L to 6.2L swap......Spohn is who fabricated the K-member, Car started life as a 3.8L V6 car hence the need for a V8 K-member. I actually wanted a stock one but couldn't find one in good shape.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Quick to blame the filter aren't we??

Well after I changed the oil and filter the low pressure problem went away so its either the UPF48R filter or the ACDelco Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 Synthetic oil. I'll cut open the filter and see if anything is obvious. I haven't seen such low pressure during the previous OCI's. I suppose it could get interesting in the next couple months; I drive about 3,000-3,300 miles a month. I'll report back.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If you see an emulsion in the oil filter you may have a coolant leak. Let us know. I take it you have a 5.3. The oil pressure gauge is at the top of the engine, driver's side. Any plugging of the oil filter will cause an oil pressure drop at the sensor until it's bad enough to open the bypass on the filter.

I do have the 5.3. The manufacture date code was a mere few weeks before GM made the change to the PCV input into the left valve cover (the incorporated a spray shield of sorts inside the valve cover). No coolant loss obvious on the dipstick or coolant reservoir tank. Engine runs excellent. I've never had any warning lights regarding the pressure; just a constant 20+ PSI noticed when at 60ish MPH on my way to work.

What is the engine temp? It looks like you need engine repair. Water in the oil would cause the oil pressure to drop. The previous owner had it stock and apparently everything was fine the 75k he drove it. So you read on the internet AFM has problems and assumed you have problems? It isn't the oil or filter you just proved it with the new change.

No engine problems at all. I've done a lot of research about the AFM drama and it's quite terrifying. GM has made several several design changes to improve AFM but my ‘09 was caught in the middle of AFM's birth. The only way to "fix" AFM is to replace the components with non-AFM parts ($1300ish).
I know that Crankcase moisture is normal activity for a reciprocating engine but mine seems to be excessive. Note that I didn't have any issues with water in the oil, that I noticed, before I installed the catch can system that was installed on 4/11/2019 at 99,930 miles.

He cut open a GM# 12694692.....I haven't seen that filter in quite a while & pretty sure any still for sale are old stock. 12626224 is the current part number & has a orange silicone anti drain back.

Almost made it to the halfway mark of a McDonalds Large 20oz coffee cup. I last drained it six days ago and have driven 415 miles (three 130 mile roundtrip to work plus 25 miles one way to where I filmed this). Oil was changed about 11 days ago and the current oil level is 3/4 on the hatched mark on the dipstick and the coolant level is full. Note that the video is only 46 seconds long but I let it drain for five minutes. This catch can system must be doing a decent job at catching the moisture. It would probably drain the oil faster if I installed a vent at the top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back