used rental car and warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I'll take the bus before purchasing a rental car.

And yet you can inspect the cars and purchase the one you want. They are generally priced accordingly. Some will have accident damage. All will have service records. Some won't drive well, some will.

My father loved purchasing used rental cars. All made it past 200K without problems.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I'll take the bus before purchasing a rental car.

And yet you can inspect the cars and purchase the one you want. They are generally priced accordingly. Some will have accident damage. All will have service records. Some won't drive well, some will.

My father loved purchasing used rental cars. All made it past 200K without problems.

The 3 I have purchased have been just fine.
The high mileage 2015 Altima has logged over 60K miles since we got it. It has 130K on the clock.
I think I paid around $10 or $11K out the door. Never seen the inside of a garage except when I have serviced it.
I just replaced the original battery yesterday. The Altima belongs to an old friend, "Dan the car killer".
All good.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by smc733
I would not be buying a Hyundai with a Theta II engine that saw rental use. That's just a recipe for disaster.

When Hertz buys cars, they plan on getting rid of them at (approximately) 38,000 miles. They're regularly serviced. Many dealer cars are also rental cars, you just pay more. If the car is three years old it's probably a lease. Do those people service as religiously as Hertz? Maybe not. If a car is five years old and it's unloaded to a dealership is there something that the former owner knows is getting ready to crap out? Maybe.

Family has bought several Hertz cars. Good experience every time.

You're missing my point. The Theta II is a notoriously picky engine with bad design. Non-OE oil filters and rental drivers driving hard could very well set the stage for turning into an oil burner by 60k, dead engine by 110k. TBH I wouldn't buy any car with a Theta II that I didn't maintain from new.

Originally Posted by csandste
I would not be buying a Hyundai with a Theta II engine that saw rental use. That's just a recipe for disaster.

When Hertz buys cars, they plan on getting rid of them at (approximately) 38,000 miles. They're regularly serviced. Many dealer cars are also rental cars, you just pay more. If the car is three years old it's probably a lease. Do those people service as religiously as Hertz? Maybe not. If a car is five years old and it's unloaded to a dealership is there something that the former owner knows is getting ready to crap out? Maybe.

Family has bought several Hertz cars. Good experience every time.

You're missing my point. The Theta II is a notoriously picky engine with bad design. Non-OE oil filters and rental drivers driving hard could very well set the stage for turning into an oil burner by 60k, dead engine by 110k. TBH I wouldn't buy any car with a Theta II that I didn't maintain from new.

Understand that. When they fail, they do so spectacularly. Whether that would make me want to pay an additional seven or eight grand up front is debatable. I don't intend to ever buy a new car again. If it's a GM car throwing a chain or a Ford or Nissan product tossing a transmission, the result is the same. Only other option is paying a Toyota tax of several thousand in order to get something bullet proof.

Last edited:
I was an immigrant 48+ years ago and now retired and I do social work such as helping buy cats without spending an entire day. My go to place is Hertz Car Sales. Never had any issue except on a Toyota Prius on which the bumper trim had to be reset. All car's come with leftover mfg warranty plus 12 months of Hertz warranty.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
I was an immigrant 48+ years ago and now retired and I do social work such as helping buy cats without spending an entire day. My go to place is Hertz Car Sales. Never had any issue except on a Toyota Prius on which the bumper trim had to be reset. All car's come with leftover mfg warranty plus 12 months of Hertz warranty.

Agreed. I kinda think those who wouldn't consider Hertz used cars have not considered Hertz used cars.
For a couple year old car, you can't touch their prices, and you know they were serviced.
Lotta inventory to check out in 1 place, at least here in Silicon Valley.

Per Hyundai (and sure Kia is the same):

[Linked Image]

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

Rentals are not supposed to even carry the remainder of the 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty.

Which is weird since my mom's Soul was a rental, yet was bought as a CPO from a Kia dealer that has the entire 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty remaining.

ive bought two ex hertz rentals, both two year old toyotas, 2004 corolla le and my current 2014 yaris l.

corolla in portland oregon on my return from korea in 2006, drove it year round all across the usa and in canada until 105k trouble free miles when sold it for $3500. just 10k m1 oil changes and 2 sets of walmart goodyear tires.

yaris, desert snowbird car to which i added a cruise control kit. unfortunately i learned that hertz self insures because its clean carfax didn't mention an accident that caused a front bumper replacement that was noticed to me by my oil change guys. regardless it drives absolutely great, during two long test drives, around town and at 75mph for 8 hr freeway trips. 3-4k kendall or valvoline semisyn oil changes.

sales process was fast and easy, same as carmax. an ex hertz toyota is a great plan.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by WhyMe
i was looking at hertz rental sales. lots of hyundais. i asked the sales guy about the hyundai warranty. hyundai is 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10/100 powertrain. the powertrain is good only for the original owner though. second owner only gets 5/60.

So the sales guy told me that Hertz is not considered the first owner and if i purchased it , i would be. Anyone ever hear of such a thing ?

Yes, we purchased my MIL a slightly used 2011 Sonata ex-rental (in 2012) from a local Hyundai dealership.
It was a year old and despite having 25kms and some wear and tear, the dealer backdated the vehicle's warranty to new when we purchased it.

So yes, I have heard of it. Not an uncommon practice either.

That "practice" is not normal nor acceptable by any automaker. The dealer can and should be held accountable for that dishonest act. If they, the dealer, wants to offer you the warranty extension on their dime - fine, but the automaker should not be footing this additional warranty period.

Hyundai CPO cars that are purchased at a Hyundai dealership have the 10/100 warranty on them as a feature of their CPO program.

Rental cars sold by the rental company do not quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Which is weird since my mom's Soul was a rental, yet was bought as a CPO from a Kia dealer that has the entire 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty remaining.

That's part of their CPO program. If the car was a taxi, rental, doesn't matter - if it's a Hyundai sold by a Hyundai dealer as a CPO, it has the remainder of the 10/100 warranty on it. Same thing for Kia.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Yes, we purchased my MIL a slightly used 2011 Sonata ex-rental (in 2012) from a local Hyundai dealership.
It was a year old and despite having 25kms and some wear and tear, the dealer backdated the vehicle's warranty to new when we purchased it.

So yes, I have heard of it. Not an uncommon practice either.

Was it a rental car, or was it a dealer demo/service loaner unit?

A true rental.
Heck, they had several to choose from all with similar mileage/features.
They made no attempt to hide the history of the car.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i was looking at hertz rental sales. lots of hyundais. i asked the sales guy about the hyundai warranty. hyundai is 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10/100 powertrain. the powertrain is good only for the original owner though. second owner only gets 5/60.

So the sales guy told me that Hertz is not considered the first owner and if i purchased it , i would be. Anyone ever hear of such a thing ?

Cool...so the car has never been tilted? Okay then...

Sales guy make a lie.

Originally Posted by Richie
My thoughts exactly

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Knowing what people do with/in rental cars I would never buy one.

Would you buy a used house or rent an older apartment? Same thing could be said of those.

Originally Posted by supton
My thoughts exactly

Would you buy a used house or rent an older apartment? Same thing could be said of those.

Neutral drop that house

Originally Posted by ad244
My thoughts exactly

Neutral drop that house

Losing the neutral is really bad, could cause fires and blow electrical stuff up.

Ya got people cooking meth and growing weed today, along with people who don't clean well and/or leave... fluids... in a house. And if one is superstitious, then you never know when someone died in a particular room, or met an unpleasant end...

Just wondering if people who would avoid a used car "just in case" someone "might have" abused it, if those same people would avoid a used house on the same criteria.

Rentals are not supposed to even carry the remainder of the 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty.

I hear you. That's weird and you can bet gives them some wiggle room to get out of warranty work if they choose to.

Off the top of my head, the only rental I ever owned that had some minor work done under the 3/36 or 5/60 was a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 LS 4x4 I owned years ago. I've also owned Hyundai and Nissan ex-rentals that made it past the 60K thing, but our 2016 Nissan Quest needed expensive rear A/C work at around 65-70K that was covered by the extended warranty contract I bought with it.

The other cool thing about buying ex-rentals is you can have some recourse though the rental company the vehicle came from. There was that thread here not too long ago with the 2017 Nissan Pathfinder owner, where the engine was so badly sludged at ~50k miles, it had issues and needed a new engine. The Nissan dealer denied coverage under 5/60 because of the visible sludge, but the guy contacted the rental co and they picked up the tab.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly

A used house is better than a new house.

Why?

-The foundation has already settled as much as it's likely to do so, 5 years or so in.
-An inspection done competently will reveal most issues, and many "teething issues" have already been fixed, or gotten so bad they are readily spotted during inspection.

Now, I have owned rental cars, and no problem at all. I used to work for a dealership, and the personally owned vehicles I took in on trade were far worse abused than most rentals.

Per Hyundai (and sure Kia is the same):

[Linked Image]

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

yeah this is an odd thing . the only time i ever bought a rental was a 1995 Windstar. took it to the ford dealer for a couple of issues and they took care of it no charge. i wonder if dealers have the ability to differentiate a rental or commercial used vehicle from just a private owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back