Mazda Cooking Up Novel Compact Inline-Six Engine, New Eight-Speed Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
Seems like a game changer.

+1

Always liked how their cars handled, they just seemed under powered.

I really like the direction that Mazda has been going in. I really like that fact that they are still using true automatic transmissions, none of the CVT junk.

The fantastic and durable engineering result in the Skyactiv engines makes me excited to see this.

they also offer manuals, the ONLY tranny i buy in any vehicle!! also using both direct + port injection would make knowlegeable buyers interested for sure!

Last edited:
Mazda has been killing it lately. I hope they keep it up for some Toyota/Honda competition which is great for the consumer.

Mazda sure seems to go against the grain with this one. But if they pull it off it might just be the ticket for establishing them as a more premium brand.
We have BMW, Mercedes and others abandoning six cylinder engines in favor of turbocharged four cylinder ones. Bringing back the smoothness of an I6, should be a breath of fresh air.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Mazda

Were there pictures of the engine in the link? All that showed on my computer was a blurry image of a car.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by tenderloin
Mazda

Were there pictures of the engine in the link? All that showed on my computer was a blurry image of a car.

Drawings of the exhaust manifolds. Each exhaust valve has it's own, albeit short run, combined into one run per cylinder, which is then further combined into one run per bank of 3 cylinders. Knowing the firing order and intake* side would be interesting.

*Will they use a system similar to BMW Valvtronic which omits the throttle plate?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
We have BMW, Mercedes and others abandoning six cylinder engines in favor of turbocharged four cylinder ones. Bringing back the smoothness of an I6, should be a breath of fresh air.

- Naw. Both just released a I6 within the last 2 yrs. If anything the V8 will disappear and the I6 will receive supplemental power via electric motor.

Last edited:
Mazda and Ford shared tech during the partnership/ownership period in the mid 2000's to 2011. The engine that was in the 2004-2006 Mazda Speed6 and CX7 turbo was distantly related to the ecoboost 4 cyl. Mazda called it a DISI turbo, and ownership experience with the engine was varied, some reported very few problems others had nothing but headaches.

Love Mazda. Small company turning out great looking and performing cars that look nice.

Will be interesting to see if Mazda manages to maintain the reliability as they continue to offer more and more luxury and engine options. I've been very impressed so far with the current Sky-active tech. If that 2020 Mazda 3 AWD Hatch or Sedan came with the turbo it would probably be my next car.

Hard to tell but I wonder if Mazda is trying to keep the scavenging effect of the exhaust on this six cylinder?

Toyota [censored] and moaned about the logistical nightmare to create their own I6 for the new Supra so they went BMW... Mazda: hold my beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back