'96 Saturn SC2 fuel pump stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 month old Bosch fuel pump, I believe. Only about 3 hours run time. i have it parked at work. The last time that I let it sit, I banged the tank a little and the pump loosened. This time I let it sit for a few months and It stuck. I banged the tank a lot and nothing. I 'm guessing the gas gummed up the rotor. Can I add a strong dose of an additive to loosen up pump? I don't want to go through the hassle of dropping tank again. Thanks.

Ethanol-laced gas gummed up the pump from sitting, pump damaged itself internally (by trying to turn when it was stuck) and is now suspect. Replace the pump and Stabil/Startron the fuel when the vehicle is going to sit, or better yet start and drive it every week.

^AK & I agree on something! Take it back & get another one under warranty-you did the job once already, you should know all the shortcuts to changing it. If you keep the gas tank full, there'll be less condensation to cause problems.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You got a defective pump. The gas had nothing to do with it. Cars sit a lot longer without having fuel pump problems. Get a new one under warranty.

I have seen aftermarket pumps get gummed up after sitting just a couple months - it depends on how much fuel was in the tank, etc.

Either way - if it wasn't defective before, it is now and it has to be replaced.

You got a defective pump. The gas had nothing to do with it. Cars sit a lot longer without having fuel pump problems. Get a new one under warranty.

I let a car sit for 3 years, fuel pump and everything else was fine.

Originally Posted by Anduril

I let a car sit for 3 years, fuel pump and everything else was fine.

Same here for much longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back