Compatibility (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may be beating a dead horse, and there's a sticky, but maybe someone can put it into simple terms. Here's my issue. I have a 6x12 utility trailer that I use to haul a Polaris Ranger. I use it once or twice a week 100 miles each way, mostly highway speeds. A couple of weeks ago, I had a bearing failure and lost the wheel, hub and all on one side. Long story short, the trailer was towed to a shop where a new axle was installed. The old axle was Dexter EZ lube. Not exactly sure about the new one, but it does have the zerk on it. I'm also not exactly sure what type of grease is in it now, other than it's red. I have the "Green Grease" from Autozone in the gun now and an extra tube on the shelf. Not sure if I should use that to add to it or not. I do know that I don't want to send another wheel skipping down the highway. I had been using Mobil 1, but switched to the Green because I got tired of the leaking.

I have a 6X12 and tow a Polaris RZR Turbo..

If you have a new axle and you see red grease.. its lubed.

Unless you see leaking you shouldnt have to add to it for a long while.

If you want to pump it full of grease just be careful not to blow the seals. I use Mystik JT6 in my rzr and my trailer.. its nearly impossible to wash off and is GC-LB rated for chassis and wheel bearings. Doesnt leak out of my gun either.

If i were you i would jack up your trailer every few hauls and test your wheel bearings for play.. your old failure was likely due to a worn out bearing that wasnt caught in time.

Originally Posted by CT8
I wondered what caused the failure?

Me too! I greased them regularly (every 2-3 months). Jacked up the trailer, and spun the wheel while greasing them. Not a fun day, that's for sure. Just glad nobody got hurt as the wheel passed me and crossed 4 lanes and launched into the woods somewhere. I was doing about 65 when it cut loose. (Also learned that day, that none of the roadside assistance that I have covers towing a trailer.)

Originally Posted by Dieselanddogs
Originally Posted by CT8
I wondered what caused the failure?

Me too! I greased them regularly (every 2-3 months). Jacked up the trailer, and spun the wheel while greasing them. Not a fun day, that's for sure. Just glad nobody got hurt as the wheel passed me and crossed 4 lanes and launched into the woods somewhere. I was doing about 65 when it cut loose. (Also learned that day, that none of the roadside assistance that I have covers towing a trailer.)

A lot of the quick lube / bearing buddy systems seem to ONLY lube the outer bearings from what I have seen.

Pull the hub off the axle. Clean all the grease out and use a moly based grease that is ropy/tacky to hand pack the bearings before re-assembly. Do this once a season on both sides. Buy a few extra seals and replace them once a year when you do this maintenance. I was under the impression that the zerk fittings on the hubs were for displacing water on trailers that get backed into lakes. You don't see them on any other applications such as front wheel bearing on cars etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back