used rental car and warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was looking at hertz rental sales. lots of hyundais. i asked the sales guy about the hyundai warranty. hyundai is 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10/100 powertrain. the powertrain is good only for the original owner though. second owner only gets 5/60.

So the sales guy told me that Hertz is not considered the first owner and if i purchased it , i would be. Anyone ever hear of such a thing ?

Sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Whoever buys it is the second owner.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i was looking at hertz rental sales. lots of hyundais. i asked the sales guy about the hyundai warranty. hyundai is 5/60 bumper to bumper and 10/100 powertrain. the powertrain is good only for the original owner though. second owner only gets 5/60.

So the sales guy told me that Hertz is not considered the first owner and if i purchased it , i would be. Anyone ever hear of such a thing ?

Yes, we purchased my MIL a slightly used 2011 Sonata ex-rental (in 2012) from a local Hyundai dealership.
It was a year old and despite having 25kms and some wear and tear, the dealer backdated the vehicle's warranty to new when we purchased it.

So yes, I have heard of it. Not an uncommon practice either.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Yes, we purchased my MIL a slightly used 2011 Sonata ex-rental (in 2012) from a local Hyundai dealership.
It was a year old and despite having 25kms and some wear and tear, the dealer backdated the vehicle's warranty to new when we purchased it.

That "practice" is not normal nor acceptable by any automaker. The dealer can and should be held accountable for that dishonest act. If they, the dealer, wants to offer you the warranty extension on their dime - fine, but the automaker should not be footing this additional warranty period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy

That "practice" is not normal nor acceptable by any automaker. The dealer can and should be held accountable for that dishonest act. If they, the dealer, wants to offer you the warranty extension on their dime - fine, but the automaker should not be footing this additional warranty period.

If the vehicle is not titled and registered it's normal. Many times dealers use car albeit not rental and sell with warranty with warranty starting at mileage/date sold. Sheer guess it was not a rental but a loaner.

Was it a rental car, or was it a dealer demo/service loaner unit?

I can see them doing that if it was a true dealer demo/loaner unit, that had never been titled or issued license plates.. and had nothing but dealer tags on it until your MIL purchased it.

You know who I would trust for the most accurate answer ? Not the guy trying to sell you a car, not random people on the internet, but Hyundai. Call them - (800) 633-5151.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
You know who I would trust for the most accurate answer ? Not the guy trying to sell you a car, not random people on the internet, but Hyundai. Call them - (800) 633-5151.

An excellent suggestion, perhaps the manufacturer can email the OP some info on the details of their warranty program.

I have purchased 3 cars from Hertz and have been very satisfied overall.
The salesman, whom I liked, seemed like a reject from a Chevy dealership.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Happy repeat Hertz Kia/Hyundai buyer. The 60k warranty normally lasts longer than the Hertz 12k from purchase. I'd report that salesman, he's either untrained or lying. Hertz sales people don't normally try to close sales, they're busy handing out keys and starting paperwork.

Originally Posted by csandste
Hertz sales people don't normally try to close sales, they're busy handing out keys and starting paperwork.

I think Hertz has some dedicated sales locations or at least people who do in fact "sell" their cars.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Happy repeat Hertz Kia/Hyundai buyer. The 60k warranty normally lasts longer than the Hertz 12k from purchase. I'd report that salesman, he's either untrained or lying. Hertz sales people don't normally try to close sales, they're busy handing out keys and starting paperwork.

Ha! I guess I misrepresented how I felt about "Bobby", the Hertz used car salesman.
I like him a lot; he is just doing his job.
I make it my responsibility when I am buying cuz it's my money that I am spending.

Hertz regularly services their cars. Their prices are really good.
I have bought a Rogue, Sentra and Yaris. All were good for what they were.
All good.

Originally Posted by smc733
I would not be buying a Hyundai with a Theta II engine that saw rental use. That's just a recipe for disaster.

When Hertz buys cars, they plan on getting rid of them at (approximately) 38,000 miles. They're regularly serviced. Many dealer cars are also rental cars, you just pay more. If the car is three years old it's probably a lease. Do those people service as religiously as Hertz? Maybe not. If a car is five years old and it's unloaded to a dealership is there something that the former owner knows is getting ready to crap out? Maybe.

Family has bought several Hertz cars. Good experience every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Hertz sales people don't normally try to close sales, they're busy handing out keys and starting paperwork.

I think Hertz has some dedicated sales locations or at least people who do in fact "sell" their cars.

There's two kinds of Hertz sales, certified and rent to own. In St. Louis there's a single sales point for both kinds of sales, unlike Enterprise which has numerous locations (selling at a premium) and Avis, which here at least is rent to own from a rental point. When I've been there, there's a ton of customers and a couple of sales people on the floor. It's a mad house with lots of customers coming in and trying cars. Not like a typical used car buying experience at all. They'll get one or two cars pulled out for you to try (I usually email first) and will be juggling you with many other customers. No one tries to close on you, you'll be lucky if they have time to throw you another key. I much prefer this to a dealer type experience.

This location is about five miles from the airport. I bought a certified car. My girlfriend bought a rent to own Optima and we had to wait for them to bring the car from the airport (they have drivers for this), it did not have the certified check list and servicing, it was cleaned just like it was going out for another rent cycle. On their web site they will have rent to own cars showing up a week or so before they're going into the rent to own program. Certified cars cost more than the rent to own cars by a hundred bucks or so. The certified twelve month warranty is meaningless in a HyunKia because they have the 60K warranty and most cars are being sold with upper thirties mileage. Sometimes less, sometimes quite a bit more.

Last edited:
+1 If you have to buy an ex rental car I would get one from Hertz, they have more business clients then the others and they treat the cars better. The other option is a dealer loaner from Toyota, Volvo or Lexus or another brand with decent reliability where the avg customer drives like they just took a few Xanax.

My reason for getting Hertz is that Enterprise makes money on car sales while Hertz unloads them at wholesale. Hertz and Avid WAAY cheaper at least in Enterprise hq St Louis. Plus Enterprise makes big investment in retail outlets. Of course Enterprise is twice as big.

Last edited:
Not sure what the hate here is on rental cars. People who rent don't really have time or position to actually abuse them.

As for anything relating to warranty, make sure it is in writing, and make note of the fact that most manufacturers include a clause, "nobody has the authority to alter the terms of this warranty" in their own warranty documentation, ie: a dealer may very well offer their own private guarantee of a vehicle, but that's between you and that specific dealer, not between you and, for example, KIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back