Louvers VS Holes

It's the holy war
lol.gif

The one with the most area flows more. If louvers are barely opened up, then they won't flow as well. Always visually inspect louvers before buying. If louvers are opened up well, then there should be more flow area than the typical hole-y center tube

The ecore plastic cage
banana2.gif

It seems that louvers are harder to make properly than holes. There are many filters posted on BITOG where the louvers aren't completely opened up.

Hastings/Baldwin is the only one that seems to know how to properly make a slotted center tube, but their louvers are formed differently.So the Hastings/Baldwin louvers are better than round holes, but most other louvers are inferior.

They way I fixed mine was to cut it open - remove the media - flip over the tube and look into the well opened louvers from the other direction.

F1215840-084F-4D80-A815-0554009F5325.jpeg

FECB3DC9-4DB2-48C7-BAAA-041324038FE8.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to go to WM earlier today to pick up some meds. I rode over into the filter section to look at a M1 209 and 211. There were no 211's. The 209A had louvers compared to the filter I cut open, which had holes. Also,, I couldn't tell if the 209A had a base end bypass.
21.gif

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would argue they flow the same.

They will flow the same because of the PD oil pump.

But if louvers are closed up it can cause much more delta-p across the filter, which in turn can make the bypass valve open up. Ideally, you want a small delta-p as possible across the filter. When someone says it "flows better" when a PD pump is involved, it really means there's less delta-p due to flow.

Interesting thread.

Now you've got me curious about whether the Donaldsons I use have louvers or holes.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

But if louvers are closed up it can cause much more delta-p across the filter, which in turn can make the bypass valve open up. Ideally, you want a small delta-p as possible across the filter. When someone says it "flows better" when a PD pump is involved, it really means there's less delta-p due to flow.

But, how can you determine if the louvers are closed? I'm thinking an oil pressure gauge entering and leaving? But, how many people will have this set up? And, how many people stop to wonder if the louvers are closed? How many consumers know that an oil filter has louvers, holes, squares, triangles, etc., in an oil filter?
21.gif

They will flow the same because of the bypass valve.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

But, how can you determine if the louvers are closed? I'm thinking an oil pressure gauge entering and leaving? But, how many people will have this set up? And, how many people stop to wonder if the louvers are closed? How many consumers know that an oil filter has louvers, holes, squares, triangles, etc., in an oil filter?
21.gif

Use a flashlight and your eyes. There's been photos posted many times showing good vs bad formed louvers.

Originally Posted by CT8

They will flow the same because of the bypass valve.

Yeah, but do you really want the filter in bypass a lot of the time.

21.gif

Use a flashlight and your eyes. There's been photos posted many times showing good vs bad formed louvers.

What you're saying is, EVERY oil filter buying consumer, including me, must now bring a flashlight with them to stores, oil change outlets, etc., to check their oil filter before it's installed on their vehicle? Is this what you do in the store? What kind of flashlight do you recommend.
SMH!
smirk2.gif

What you're saying is, EVERY oil filter buying consumer, including me, must now bring a flashlight with them to stores, oil change outlets, etc., to check their oil filter before it's installed on their vehicle? Is this what you do in the store? What kind of flashlight do you recommend.
SMH!
smirk2.gif

Use the flashlight on your cell phone. Yes, I do inspect oil filters before buying them. If you think it's too much trouble to take 30 seconds to take a look, then just buy it and slap it on.
grin2.gif

Back