School me on a Jeep Grand Cherokee!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
…On the latest model, specifically 2017-18 with V6; I barely know anything about it; so how good is it and what's the good and what's not so good about it
I really like the model but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please

I thank y'all for the constructive replies, suggestions and information!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by miden851
….....but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please!

Kinda setting the bar a little high........
laugh.gif

Transmission is solid, v6 is pretty solid (PUG has been out for 4 years now), oil filter housings known to crack and leak it over tightened.

36.gif

I had a 2015, I think they're solid vehicles. A couple little quirks, but nothing that every other vehicle doesn't have.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
….....but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please!

Kinda setting the bar a little high........
laugh.gif

I agree. Way too high 🥺

I have two FCA products. Only one has had a problem, and that's only because I'm putting far more power through the driveline than the transmission was rated for. Since being rebuilt with stronger internals, no issues. But even that was a Tremec, not an FCA part.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
JEEP= Just empty every pocket

Wow! Thought that up all by yourself?

You can forget 200k in a GC with out a lot of repairs. I'm sure there are a few who have, but they're the exception, not the norm. FCA's start falling apart long before that. A friend works for them and he drives Toyota's. What does that tell you? Lol. He even admits FCA sells eye candy and that's it.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
JEEP= Just empty every pocket

Compelling contribution there, bravo! Keep that data coming!

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
You can forget 200k in a GC with out a lot of repairs. I'm sure there are a few who have, but they're the exception, not the norm. FCA's start falling apart long before that. A friend works for them and he drives Toyota's. What does that tell you? Lol. He even admits FCA sells eye candy and that's it.

EL-OH-EL INDEED!
lol.gif

What's weird is that I don't know any mechanics that work at my local dealer that own Toyota products. Most of them own RAM trucks or Caravans except for the one young lad who came from a Honda dealer and loves his Civics. Now, that's of course a much larger sample size than the incredible example of 1 that you've presented, but please, don't let that dissuade you from contributing further.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Weird, I don't know any mechanics that work at my local dealer that own Toyota products. Most of them own RAM trucks or Caravans except for the one young lad who came from a Honda dealer and loves his Civics. Now, that's of course a much larger sample size than the incredible example of 1 that you've presented, but please, don't let that dissuade you from contributing further.

My neighbor has a friend that knows someone who works for Toyota that drives a RAM.

Wife drives a fully loaded 2014 GJ Overland 4x4 3.6L. Just turned 120k miles - ONLY issue we had is the leather dash wrinkling. BUT--- FCA is taking care of all these leather dashes back to 2011. So that is taking care of the customer!! We just got the recall notice in the mail last month. We have had NO other issues - the air suspension, motor, trans, t-case etc all still working fine. I am so impressed with this vehicle that it led me to purchase my RAM Limited truck which has also been trouble free for 64k miles. Yes work for GM and still own more GM than non-GM but I also am not stupid, I will buy what fits my needs and budget. GM makes NO comparable vehicle to the Jeep GJ and the RAM Limited beats the Denali (still have my old Denali) in luxury and features.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Wife drives a fully loaded 2014 GJ Overland 4x4 3.6L. Just turned 120k miles - ONLY issue we had is the leather dash wrinkling. BUT--- FCA is taking care of all these leather dashes back to 2011. So that is taking care of the customer!! We just got the recall notice in the mail last month. We have had NO other issues - the air suspension, motor, trans, t-case etc all still working fine. I am so impressed with this vehicle that it led me to purchase my RAM Limited truck which has also been trouble free for 64k miles. Yes work for GM and still own more GM than non-GM but I also am not stupid, I will buy what fits my needs and budget. GM makes NO comparable vehicle to the Jeep GJ and the RAM Limited beats the Denali (still have my old Denali) in luxury and features.

The Blazer and Acadia are *close* but I wish GM would come out with a RWD SUV, preferably with a 2 door option!
20.gif

…On the latest model, specifically 2017-18 with V6; I barely know anything about it; so how good is it and what's the good and what's not so good about it
I really like the model but how likely it will run over 200k miles mark without major $$$ please

I thank y'all for the constructive replies, suggestions and information!

I've owned 2x GC's in roughly the vintage you are considering here. As already noted by Nick1994, they are platform mates with the Durango but have a slightly shorter wheelbase and no option for the 3rd row seating.

My 2016 was not entirely problem-free, but I had no major issues with it that didn't stem from a very expensive ($12K) accident that it experienced where some work was performed less than ideally and well concealed. We also owned a 2016 Durango Limited with the powertrain you are interested in, with which our experience was also positive.

Pros:
- The platform is very mature at this juncture, having been in production for quite some time. It's very well sorted.
- Materials selection is excellent, fit-and-finish is typically good (at least in my 3x examples)
- UConnect is a nice interface, you are looking at ones new enough that they may have the updated Panasonic screens like my 2020, as I believe that happened for the 2018 MY. The UI is a bit faster on these
- The powertrain, like the platform, is quite mature at this point, and the AWD system is quite robust and shouldn't be a point of concern. The Pentastar is an excellent engine and The ZF 8spd is a fantastic gearbox; highly regarded.

Cons:
- On the 8spd, Chrysler's programming in earlier years wasn't as good as it could be. My 2020 has better shift programming than my 2016 did, and my 2016 SRT had better programming than our 2016 Durango. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2016 SRT programming, I thought it well-sorted, but the 2020 has shown me there was a bit of room for improvement.
- The only issue you may experience with the Pentastar is the oil filter housing cracking as mentioned by Skippy. This isn't a problem with the 5.7L that takes a traditional spin-on filter.
- The 5.7L doesn't get stellar gas mileage and even the Pentastar isn't class-leading.
- The headlights, if you don't get the HID's, aren't amazing. We had the halogen projectors in the Durango and while they were OK, the HID's in the Jeep blew them out of the water
- The back-up camera will get covered in road grime and be unusable. I have to clean it off very frequently during the winter
- No physical buttons for seat heat/cooling and wheel heat (which our truck has) means you are using the touch screen for those functions when required
- If the example you are looking at has the console mounted CD player, it takes up most of the usable space in the console (I specifically omitted it when I built my 2020)
- Cup holder placement relative to the shifter means if you've got a spilly drink, it ends up on the shifter boot.
- Earlier years had a single USB port in the dash and an SD card, not sure when they eliminated the SD Card slot, but my 2020 has dual USB's there now, which was a welcome change
- Glove box isn't huge, so don't expect to be able to keep much in there. I have a tire pressure gauge and a screwdriver.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any specific questions, please ask away!

EL-OH-EL INDEED!
lol.gif

What's weird is that I don't know any mechanics that work at my local dealer that own Toyota products. Most of them own RAM trucks or Caravans except for the one young lad who came from a Honda dealer and loves his Civics. Now, that's of course a much larger sample size than the incredible example of 1 that you've presented, but please, don't let that dissuade you from contributing further.

The truth hurts, doesn't it? Keep trolling that boat.
wink.gif

EL-OH-EL INDEED!
lol.gif

The truth hurts, doesn't it? Keep trolling that boat.
wink.gif

Pretty sure the muffin who is trolling is the guy with zero experience with the vehicle in question, stud.

Grow up, buddy. This isn't the first time you've accused me of being liar when it comes to FCA. it's obvious you're a FIAT fanboy by your vehicles in your signature. That's why you get your little feelings hurt when someone has facts that you don't agree with.

Out of all auto manufacturers, FCA is nowhere near the top in quality. Someday when you grow up you'll see the error of your ways. Have a great night!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back