TBN D2896 vs D4739

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a VOA done by OAI/Polaris. The TBN was tested using the D4739 protocol and tested roughly 2 points lower than Motul tested with the D2896 protocol.

Reading on Polaris' own website it says that the D2896 protocol should be used for new oil samples and the latter for used oil.

My thinking is other that testing to see if the TBN from the manufacturer is correct, it really doesn't matter. In fact I would probably argue it's better to test the virgin and used samples in the same protocol in order to actually see the useful life of the engine oil and how long the TBN actually takes to diminish to the end of its serviceable life.

Would I be correct?

Did you contact OAI-Polaris to ask why they tested using the alleged wrong protocol? Amsoil, who are affiliated with Oil Analysers use D2896 to get their +12 tbn yet most VOA's don't show this number, they usually show mid 9's. Strange... Your question: I would agree if you start with one test method you should end with the same method. You were wondering how long the tbn would last but I don't think that's a cut and dried answer, too many variables to cover.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Did you contact OAI-Polaris to ask why they tested using the alleged wrong protocol? Amsoil, who are affiliated with Oil Analysers use D2896 to get their +12 tbn yet most VOA's don't show this number, they usually show mid 9's. Strange... Your question: I would agree if you start with one test method you should end with the same method. You were wondering how long the tbn would last but I don't think that's a cut and dried answer, too many variables to cover.

Yeah maybe I'll contact them tomorrow and see why the test it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back