Appliance repair follies

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a gas stove she bought in 1985. She loves this antique and does not want a new one. Recently, the broiler burner quit working. The electric igniter would glow brightly but no flame. Checked igniter amp draw and resistance, all right on spec.I tried lighting the broiler with a barbeque lighter, and nothing. There is no gas flowing to the broiler burner. I found a really cool site called the samurai appliance repairman, where you can post questions about appliance problems for FREE, just by joining.

Turns out that vaporized oils and grease from baking can build up on the gas jet of the seldom used broiler and block it. One poke into the gas jet with a fine wire fixed the broiler instantly.

Just wanted to share info about this site and possibly save someone else frustration and profanity.

Kitchen renovated or not, you don't need 35 years to block a gas jet.

I saw it at 2-2.5 years.

Also, a small size sewing needle would have been good.

Search youtube for samurai appliance repairman, looks like a neat site.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Link to the website?

We had two burners on the stovetop that had weak flames. Like you said cleaning the orifice worked wonders. Not sure why they got bunged up being in use every day and having a ceramic cover over the flame ports. This after 17 years though.

Skyactiv, the kitchen was remodeled about 10 years ago, she kept the old stove. My wife has taken this thing with her through 3 moves to 2 different states. The stove is an old Tappan, no longer made but this one looks nearly new. No complaints since it never needed any maintenance till now!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
35 year range? When was the kitchen last remodeled?

My kitchen was built new about 15 years ago and I've got a 40" Maytag gas range that was probably built in the late 40s or early 50s. My wife was dubious about it when I suggested using it, but she now wouldn't have anything else.

We got a counter top convection oven and now use the oven in our range about 2x a year.

A repair man said to not get carried away with self cleaning the gas range. It shortens the life of the igniters.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by skyactiv
35 year range? When was the kitchen last remodeled?

My kitchen was built new about 15 years ago and I've got a 40" Maytag gas range that was probably built in the late 40s or early 50s. My wife was dubious about it when I suggested using it, but she now wouldn't have anything else.

Can we see it? I Love antiques, especially appliances like this. They truly don't make them like this anymore and people that appreciate good design and durability know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back