Harvest King 10W-30 syn, 10k mi. on oil, 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 w/ 250k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
10,085 miles and 5 months to the day on Harvest King 10W-30 syn with a Bosch Premium 3422 filter.

2002 Ford Ranger, 3.0L Vulcan V6, right at 250k miles. Holds 5 quarts of oil. Added 0.5 quarts during this OCI.

This was my third run on the same oil/filter combination, last two OCIs were 7.5k and I decided to try 10k. I may step up to 12k but we will see.

Clearly, anything less than 10k in my application is overkill.

My driving was about 70% highway and 30% around town.

This is the Warren-sourced HK syn. Has been discussed extensively here, suffice it to say it is by far the cheapest SN+/D1G2 syn available in my area.

[Linked Image]

Wow, Nice report, 10k miles and only 13 ppm iron wear, with a retained TBN of 3.3 says there is life left in the oil, and at KV100 = 10.2 it's still in grade. Those 10W30's are shear stable and have low Noack volatility, shame it's not an allowable Dexos1 viscosity grade. Still it's a full synthetic API SN-Plus oil, so it's doing everything asked of it very nicely.

Nice little slug of Moly too (50 ppm)

Silicon is a tad high, may want to check your air filter is sealed OK.

Good report

I'm probably most responsible for declaring this Warren Oil (not WPP) based on history (it was pre Citgo) and bottle, however the 5w30 has a Dexos number that doesn't show on the licensing web page. I've contacted the distributor and hopefully will get a definitive answer. If not I'll contact Warren. Glad to see it's holding up so well.

Last edited:
Currently running the same 10W30 in our Frontier. No complaints whatsoever. Unfortunately we don't have a RK near us so I ordered some of the Havoline synthetic 10W30 in the box from Walmart for the next few OCIs. I think I'll load upon the RK 10W30 syn when I get back up to my sister's some time this year since I plan on using it in both the Frontier and Sierra going forward.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Nice report.. keep running that HK, your engine seems to like it. ðŸ‘

+1, nice report!

Wish I could get HK where I live.

The Vulcan is one of the better wearing engines Ford's ever made. They are generally very reliable and can run seemingly forever. The good results here are not unexpected from just about any lube. Low contamination, very low wear, etc. Easily 12k miles is in sight; probably can get to 15k miles.

Your Ranger is likely to rot before it quits running.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Low contamination, very low wear, etc. Easily 12k miles is in sight; probably can get to 15k miles.

Your Ranger is likely to rot before it quits running.

Agreed and agreed...ðŸ‘

Boy on a V6 and with a so called down line oil that impresses me. But I'll bet you wouldn't have felt better or you car wore less with $50 a Jug oil.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Boy on a V6 and with a so called down line oil that impresses me. But I'll bet you wouldn't have felt better or you car wore less with $50 a Jug oil.

But on the upside, you get to post that you use $50 oil..so there's that. ...

My its hard to drink that first cup of Columbian Supremo while you are laughing your behind off.

My its hard to drink that first cup of Columbian Supremo while you are laughing your behind off.

but.....but.....but Great Value Supreme coffee has the same certs as that crafty, schmancy, fancy Columbian Supremo.
wink.gif

Harvest King really rocked here. All the fill station additive & base oil faucets were turned on high, when that empty jug made it's way down the conveyor belt line.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

but.....but.....but Great Value Supreme coffee has the same certs as that crafty, schmancy, fancy Columbian Supremo.
wink.gif

Harvest King really rocked here. All the fill station additive & base oil faucets were turned on high, when that empty jug made it's way down the conveyor belt line.

True but it doesn't cost three time as much as the other brands.

But I'll bet you wouldn't have felt better or you car wore less with $50 a Jug oil.

I would have felt the same, except my wallet would be $40 lighter. I'm certain that pretty much any oil of the same grade and specs would have yielded the same results, whether it was SuperTech or Red Line. Almost anything available today is vastly superior to the API SL specification that my 2002 model year engine calls for, which tells me that in my application, anything more than the cheapest I can find is a waste.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
wink.gif

I think HK performed much better than most would expect from an oil that usually sells for $2-3/quart. To me, just proof that marketing works.

If you were told you had a cup of Columbian Supremo but in fact had a cup of Great Value Supreme, would you taste the difference? Perhaps, but I'd wager that at least 90% of people wouldn't know the difference.

Same principle here. I have no doubt that in some applications, some specialty oil has clear advantages. But in most cars on the road today? No advantage at all, except perhaps making the uninformed owner feel a little better.

That SOHC Vulcan isn't picky on oil I have been running syn blend oil in my daughters car with great labs from Blackstone and she is in a severe service interval as she short trips 80%of her driving and commuting ,Warren and citgo have been a staple in this engine for the last 6 years

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nitronoise
That SOHC Vulcan isn't picky on oil

@Nitronoise

Are you sure you're thinking of the Vulcan? The 3.0L Vulcan is a pushrod engine, no overhead cams.

Alternatively, the 3.0L Duratec, which replaced the Vulcan in some passenger car applications, is a DOHC engine. You may be thinking of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back