2013 Toyota Highlander piston slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 110000 miles and I have seemed to have developed a "piston slap" noise. However is only occurs when engine is WARMED up.
In park is a real distinct metallic sound. Coming form the bottom the engine. UOA show aluminium going up. From 2 to 6 recently

Anyone else have this warmed up "piston slap" noise? Otherwise it runs perfectly. Still under warranty but researching before I bring it in.

Piston slap is usually more pronounced when the engine is cold due to clearances being wider, as the engine warms up and metals expand the sound lessens or goes away.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Piston slap is usually more pronounced when the engine is cold due to clearances being wider, as the engine warms up and metals expand the sound lessens or goes away.

This is true, I have piston slap in my 2.7 Tacoma during cold starts below 40F and it takes about 90 seconds of idling for the slap noise to completely stop.
The OP's engine noise goes away quickly, I'm assuming that means quicker than 90 seconds. A video from the OP would be very helpful here.

Just a hunch, but I wonder if the oil is becoming too thin once it's hot causing the piston slap ?

You dont have piston slap. Piston slap is more of a knock/tap noise. I dont mean to come off the wrong way but instead of focusing your energy on diagnosing for the shop especially when you have warranty, gather the best information you can on how the shop can replicate the issue and provide them with good info on how the issue can be replicated. Make an appointment with the shop to meet the mechanic when you take it in and get the vehicle to them while it's having the symptoms of whatever issue you have so he can see it first hand. Everyone wins in this situation and your car wont be in the shop for a week.

Thanks. Just gathering info. When I go to toyota I will make sure I can replicate the noise for them.
FYI the oil pan was damaged before I bought it. I didnt catch it until after the sale. Looks like someone jacked the car up on the oil pan. They replaced the oil pan but my theory it crimped the oil pickup tube and starved the lower end. Now I thinks its a crank bearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by millerbl00
Thanks. Just gathering info. When I go to toyota I will make sure I can replicate the noise for them.
FYI the oil pan was damaged before I bought it. I didnt catch it until after the sale. Looks like someone jacked the car up on the oil pan. They replaced the oil pan but my theory it crimped the oil pickup tube and starved the lower end. Now I thinks its a crank bearing.

Or they bottomed out/got high centered? 🤔 Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the pickup..

Toyotas are notorious for the VVT controller lock pin getting stuck at startup. You get a 3-4 second rattle until oil pressure builds enough to unlock the pin. Makes a distinct sound.

There is no noise at startup. Only when hot

Tested this morning. Makes more noise Warmed in Drive and reverse. Thinking now it might be the Transmission mount

Originally Posted by millerbl00
My mechanic is thinking flex plate.....

Back in the 90's I bought a perfectly looking Dodge (small 4 cylinder car I cant remember the model) that a customer brought in my shop with a "rod knock". I gave him $50 for the car which was probably worth $1k. I took a chance and won. Flex plate was loose and sounded exactly like a rod knock. Put some LockTite on the 3 bolts (yes 3!) and daily drove it for 4 years and then gave it to my daughter. Nice economical car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back