Looking at a 2020 Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to look at these. Never thought I would. But after not loving the new Tiguan and the terrain being pricey for what it is, I looked in some unconventional places and am impressed by the Forester, on paper.

Anyone have any insight? The good. The bad. The otherwise?

Hoping to go drive one soon but wanted to get your thoughts beforehand. Thanks.

Co-worker of mine has a brand new one. The fit and finish is nice, the safety features such as eye-sight are neat albeit a little distracting.

The biggest issue was lack of power and buzzyness due to the CVT. Don't get me wrong, it drove nice and was smooth, just felt dangerously slow especially merging on the highway etc.

I used to like Subaru's, when they went CVT that kind of killed my relationship with them.

I would consider a Outback XT as it has the turbo engine and beefier CVT but it's also close to $40K...

Check out a Mazda CX-5, really nice. Peppy and uses a standard 6 speed trans.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but when I hear folks complain that a car is too slow I question if they are willing to push the gas pedal to the floor when they want to get up and go. Modern 4 cylinder engines with the CVT will get up to the red line without too much fuss. I have a few tricky on-ramps by me where you have to wait for an opening while stopped and get up to speed super quickly. Most times I have to redline my 4 cylinder (a subaru outback), and have not had any close calls, knock on wood.

I suspect these folks are use to giving their more powerful car a half shot of the gas pedal because that is all it needs to get up to speed at a much lower RPM.

I dont know dude. I love my 17 OB. 72k right now and very happy. Looking at the 2020 line of engines I'd NOT buy another Subaru at this time. Sad to say it but it's my feeling.

Originally Posted by Huie83
Co-worker of mine has a brand new one. The fit and finish is nice, the safety features such as eye-sight are neat albeit a little distracting.

The biggest issue was lack of power and buzzyness due to the CVT. Don't get me wrong, it drove nice and was smooth, just felt dangerously slow especially merging on the highway etc.

I used to like Subaru's, when they went CVT that kind of killed my relationship with them.

I would consider a Outback XT as it has the turbo engine and beefier CVT but it's also close to $40K...

Check out a Mazda CX-5, really nice. Peppy and uses a standard 6 speed trans.

Little different with the 17 OB and 3.6 w CVT. It isn't powerful but it's fine here in upstate NY and NE hills are steep. CVT has been great so far albeit until 150k plus I wont be happy. The tech of Subby has been awesome. All of it works and works well. Same tech you get in some higher end vehicles like Audi and BMW. I find the fit n finish weaker as the tech takes the big cost. For the money a 17 OB Limited is hard to beat in my opinion.

My wife and I just bought a 2020 Forester Premium in January, to replace a 2013 CR-V AWD that was totaled. This is our first Subaru, and so far, we have thoroughly enjoyed it. I was apprehensive about the CVT at first, because of Nissan's problems, and experience with a Honda CVT in my parents' newer CR-V. However, I like the way the Subaru CVT acts in town and on the road, and the overall power seems adequate for us. Sure, we live in central Alabama, which is relatively flat, but we like to go to the mountains in north Alabama. Our Forester came with Preferred Package #1, which includes the Technology Package (keyless engine start/stop, extra USB ports, mirror compass, auto dimming mirrors, and approach lighting), and all-weather floor mats, rear cargo cover and mat, and cargo net, Crimson Red Pearl exterior paint, and two-tone gray and black interior.

So far, we have been getting better overall MPG with the Forester than we did with the CR-V. The Eyesight system seems okay; I joke around with my wife when I'm driving and it beeps, because sometimes it loses sight of lines on the edge or middle of the road, instead of her fussing about me staying in the lane properly. The adaptive cruise control is nice as well, as well as the vehicle status screens that can be toggled through on the displays.

Although we got a free 2 year / 24K miles maintenance plan, I bought an extended warranty to 100K miles, and have added the rear seatback protectors that complement the cargo mat. I may add mud guards and side door guards soon.

Good luck.

Manual transmissions are only preferred by 4% of the auto buying public, but they all seem to hang out here with Bob.

Looked at getting one in '18 when I ended up with a Civic. MT was sort of ropey and unrewarding, power wasn't all that great in NA form.

Per usual with Subaru though, lots of nice touches in the interior and utility was great.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Starting to look at these. Never thought I would. But after not loving the new Tiguan and the terrain being pricey for what it is, I looked in some unconventional places and am impressed by the Forester, on paper.

Anyone have any insight? The good. The bad. The otherwise?

Hoping to go drive one soon but wanted to get your thoughts beforehand. Thanks.

The bad: It's slow, boring, and has a CVT
The good: It retains its value well, and has one of the better CVTs.

I'd look at:

-CX5 GTR/SG
-RAV4 Prime

If I were currently in the market.

I love my 18 Forester. It's a great all around vehicle. The infotainment system is terrible, but that seems to have been resolved for the newer ones. The only real regret I have is getting a manual transmission. I really enjoy it and it's is a very good match to the engine, but there are times where I really don't want to have to shift in traffic and stuff.

I loved my base model 2016 Forester 2.5 CVT. Practicality, utility, comfort and the economics of them make them the most Subaru for your dollar in my opinion if you have your heart set on a Subaru.

I never found mine under powered compared to my legacy or crosstrek. You just have to get beyond their ugliness, which that sport model to me makes them even uglier if that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back