Use of N.C. Tag to bring in out of state car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can assure you all that some years ago, I went to DMV office and was told to get insurance, use tag of existing NC car to get out of state home. No doubt this was in the "good ole days", now long gone.

Was considering flying from NC to Detroit to buy a car. Something I wouldn't pay for in advance, thus wouldn't have proof to show NC in order to get tempo. Will look into other ways to do it.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
The state you are buying the vehicle in should offer a temp tag.

In many places you have to be a resident of that state to get a temp tag from there.

Many years ago-maybe '02ish-my dad bought a car(1998 Lincoln Continental-a great car) from one of my grandfather's neighbors in NC. He was and still is a KY resident.

We went down to the county DMV and walked out a few minutes later with a 3-day temp tag for about $5. I don't remember how the insurance worked in ti-he may have called the agent, added the car, and had them fax proof to the DMV, or he may have showed proof from the car we drove down along with the dated bill of sale to show that it was covered under the 30-day new purchase provision. Knowing him, I'd guess a faxed proof. That got us back to Kentucky, where he could then start with the even more arduous process of getting the title transferred and the car licensed in KY.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

If you're buying the car from a dealer, the dealer will issue you a tag from the state the dealer is located in.

In many places you have to be a resident of that state to get a temp tag from there.

It goes by the state the seller is in, not the buyer.

Wrong and wrong. I live in Maryland and can get a temp tag for a car I'm buying. If I'm selling a car to someone out of state, they would NOT be able to get a Maryland temp tag.

Interesting how one can research rules for all 50 states and make such an arbitrary declaration, especially in response to someone stating "many".

Some states are interested in money and convenience. Others, oppressing both their citizenry and/or "outsiders".

Originally Posted by tc1446
Some years back DMV told me I could use a tag off my existing car for up to 30days, to bring in an out of state car as long as it was insured.
Anyone know if this is still permitted?

Yes I know I can go to DMV and find out, just trying to avoil long wait lines.

Not in my state. The tag and the car VIN are tied to one another, so using a tag on another vehicle will get you a stiff ticket if you're caught. Same goes for plates...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back