Good choice for a cool white bulb to use in DRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently purchased a 2011 Toyota Rav4 and want change the DRL bulbs. This Toyota uses the high beams for DRL's. I've changed out the low beams to LED's and want to switch out the highbeams/DRL to a simular light color as the LED's. I really don't want to pay $50 for silverstars. I've purchased two sets of the cool white halogens from ebay that are the same color as regular halogens. Any suggestions? Will HID's work with the reduced voltage when the DRL's are on? Thanks in advance,
Randy

Not to rag, but aftermarket LEDs were never engineered for a halogen housing and just cause glare. No HID headlamps will NOT work as the bulb uses an arc and halide salts to run. They are always the full brightness. You can go with hir or halogen infrared bulbs which are the brightest halogen bulbs produced.

Last edited:
I think having white DRLs and white headlamps is a very important part of owning a car. Nothing screams "I have a new car" like two pairs of white lights.

Our 2014 RAV4 uses the high beam bulb for DRL and I had short bulb life. Switched from the 9005s to 9011 HIR2 bulbs and quit using them as DRLs. Big difference in light output with the 9011s but not the cool white look. Wil LEDs run on reduced voltage?

I tried LED's and they wouldn't run on the reduced voltage. I want to keep DRL because I beleive they are a great safety feature. I wasn't aware of the HIR style bulbs. I may look into them for the light output and not worry about the cool white look. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen people run aftermarket LEDs as DRLs and they have a weird flicker/strobe light effect.

As far as 9011s - They'll probably have reduced life being on as DRLs all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back