2017 Subaru WRX Motul xclean EFE 5W-30 2 months 9457kms/5876 mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I have personally submitted. It was taken on my Brother In-Laws 2017 WRX. 127,221kms on odometer 9,457km OCI. Let's see if I read this correctly please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

The iron seems to be relatively low, being a boxer motor it is most likely wear metals from the crankshaft/thrust bearings.

Aluminum is more than likely Cylinder/piston materials and the copper is going to come from the cooler on this car.

Silicon would be dirt contamination, air filter was dirty and changed at this OCI.

OAI says TBN is slightly low; maybe, but it's not even half the value of the starting TBN. I say it's still well within specs.

I'm surprised they "estimated" the fuel dilution @ >1%. I thought this is where OAI/Polaris shines over Blackstone. This was also a point of interest for me as this engine has been known to be a fuel diluter in earlier years. He is however running a Cobb stage 1 map on the car, maybe the fuel mapping is improved there. Either way with the cST @ 11.4 it doesn't seem to me like fuel dilution is an issue.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the results. I'm thinking increasing the OCI to 15,000kms should not be an issue with normal driving (no track use).

Any input?

Last edited:
just call them and ask to do the test for fuel dilution. happened to me in the past - they won't do the test unless the viscosity is substantially low/high or out of grade. They keep a sample for a month so you can call them and request the test to be done.

Originally Posted by parshisa
just call them and ask to do the test for fuel dilution. happened to me in the past - they won't do the test unless the viscosity is substantially low/high or out of grade. They keep a sample for a month so you can call them and request the test to be done.

Do you think it's necessary looking at the viscosity?

Originally Posted by STIcandy

Yeah this, it's still on the thicker side of a 5W-30...

This was also a point of interest for me as this engine has been known to be a fuel diluter in earlier years. - to me it's not, but I though it is for you

just call them and ask to do the test for fuel dilution happened to me in the past - they won't do the test unless the viscosity is substantially low/high or out of grade. They keep a sample for a month so you can call them and request the test to be done.

This was also a point of interest for me as this engine has been known to be a fuel diluter in earlier years. - to me it's not, but I though it is for you

Sorry don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning you. I was more surprised they didn't properly test for fuel dilution without being asked but I'm not particularly concerned because the viscosity is still quite strong. I would be more inclined to contact them for an exact measurement if it appeared to be shearing.

Thanks for the heads up though. In the future, I will be sure to ask them for actual reading if I'm concerned.

Last edited:
just call them and ask to do the test for fuel dilution happened to me in the past - they won't do the test unless the viscosity is substantially low/high or out of grade. They keep a sample for a month so you can call them and request the test to be done.

Sorry don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning you. I was more surprised they didn't properly test for fuel dilution without being asked but I'm not particularly concerned because the viscosity is still quite strong. I would be more inclined to contact them for an exact measurement if it appeared to be shearing.

Thanks for the heads up though. In the future, I will be sure to ask them for actual reading if I'm concerned.

No worries mate. That's what i used to do - in a comment box on the submission form i'd specify to run fuel dilution test, that way I don't have to call them and ask again

TBN is fine IMO as this oil starts at 6.0. As parshisa mentioned, OAI doesn't automatically test fuel via GC unless the oil is out of grade. Viscosity is actually very good so don't read too much into their comments. I would just ask them to test fuel via GC if you're curious.

Is this a Cobb Off The Shelf tune or an e-tune/protune? Any other mods?

Originally Posted by bluesubie
TBN is fine IMO as this oil starts at 6.0. As parshisa mentioned, OAI doesn't automatically test fuel via GC unless the oil is out of grade. Viscosity is actually very good so don't read too much into their comments. I would just ask them to test fuel via GC if you're curious.

Is this a Cobb Off The Shelf tune or an e-tune/protune? Any other mods?

Completely stock other than the Cobb OTS stage 1 running petro 94 octane fuel. BTW what's GC?

Anybody have any reservations on bumping the OCI up another 5000 kms and retest? Seems like a waste to change the oil this soon.

Last edited:

No worries mate. That's what i used to do - in a comment box on the submission form i'd specify to run fuel dilution test, that way I don't have to call them and ask again

Good idea. I'll remember that going forward and request it on all my UOA's. Is there a technical term for the test I should request?

Good idea. I'll remember that going forward and request it on all my UOA's. Is there a technical term for the test I should request?

Fuel Dilution GC (gas chromatography) Test. They should know what it is anyway regardless how you call it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back