2 cars 2 oils what car would you put it in

Have a honda fit 2009 slow leak current valvoline full synthetic high mileage used only a half quart in 5000 miles when on mobil 5w-20 ep it used 1.5 quarts.

And a 2008 Odyssey, valvoline 5w-20 advanced synth. Used a quarter of a quart in 5000 miles.

I had some fuel dilution issues on the odyssey hence the short change intervals.

I like trying new things and pretty much all the oils now in days are great so I bought magnatec 0w-20 and quaker state ultimate durability 5w-20 thinking that I would put the castrol in my fit and the durability in my odyssey but then I thought it might be fun to see what you all think since there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Oil filter on both is the mobil 110a and is working well.

Currently have magnatec 5w-30 my 1997 crown and loving it.

Look forward to the discussion. Thanks

Last edited:
I just put Magnatec 5w20 in my mom's 2011 Fit 1.5L and the engine seems a tad bit quieter. I just bought it because it was cheap on Amazon, but it seems to be working pretty well.

12 year old vehicles that are basically grocery getters... I wouldnt chase EP or Advanced anything

5w30 Kirkland, Supertech or Havoline... whichever is cheapest.

Fram XG filters used 2X oil changes.

Why not keep using Valvoline full synthetic high mileage? You said it cut back your usage from 1.5 quarts to only a half quart in 5000 miles, if that is really true that is some amazing results!

Last edited:
If they were my cars I would put the Magnatec in the odyssey and the Quaker state 5w20 in the fit since it seems to be loosing a bit more oil. I own a 2003 fit with the L13A and that engine is really easy on oil.

Hondas don't seem to be picky on oil - you can go either way. I like SOPUS(QS or Pennzoil) in Hondas myself.

The VCM will hurt you more on the Ody, I'd get a VCMuzzler if the damage hasn't been done yet. The best thing you can do for a Honda are regular(ish) valve adjustments. Every 30K for pre-2000s models, 100K on post-2000 and V6 models.

The truth is after three years of having a ton of physical issues I haven't been able to do my own oil changes. Now that I can do them again I'm just experimenting and having fun. I've run pennzoil ultra and normal platinum in both some time in the past. I'll probably do another run of valvoline high mileage fs after this oil change.

The truth is after three years of having a ton of physical issues I haven't been able to do my own oil changes. Now that I can do them again I'm just experimenting and having fun. I've run pennzoil ultra and normal platinum in both some time in the past. I'll probably do another run of valvoline high mileage fs after this oil change.

Where did you get your vcmuzzler? And why are valve adjustments so important? I do them but I don't understand their significance..

I have 3 Hondas
... they all get the same medicine..

wink.gif

Originally Posted by Nyyt
Where did you get your vcmuzzler? And why are valve adjustments so important? I do them but I don't understand their significance..

Someone on odyclub/piloteers/DriveAccord sells them - you can google for it. The VCMuzzler fools the PCM that the engine isn't fully warmed up so the VCM system doesn't kick in. The VCM system on newer(2006-on) Honda V6s has been known to cause oil consumption and there is an extended warranty for certain Odysseys and Pilots about this. The theory is when the back 3 cylinders are disabled via the VCM system activating the lost motion pin to "float" the rocker arms keeping the valves closed. The rings let some oil through but it will eventually foul the plugs.

Honda is still using screw and jam nut rockers/followers on their engines. A simple design but doesn't hold its adjustment like shim and bucket or hydraulic lifters. Many Honda engines have died due to burned valves or dropped valve seats. It's a doable job on a cold engine, you need a 8 or 10mm wrench and a flathead screw driver or a special tool that does both the jam nut and adjustment screw and a pair of feeler gauges. Along with the usual tools to take off the valve covers/intake(on V6 models), new seals/gasket and some Hondabond/Permatex Ultra Gray.

Don't have much comment on the oils, what you're doing seems to be working. Any hope of fixing the slow oil leak?

Finally changed the oil on both. Decided to do a 50/50 mix in both cars. It quieted both down quite a bit. Just got back from doing 1k miles on the fit this last weekend and it burned no oil. Usually when going over passes or at high revs it burns a bit but none this time.

Haven't driven the van yet but what I have seen is its quieter and revs free.

So far so good.

Originally Posted by Nyyt

Valve adjustments are important because the valve cools when its sitting flat on the valve seat.

Over time the valves pound themselves up into the head and after a period of time they will no longer fully close but ride open on the base circle of the camshaft.

When this happens the valve will burn and the engine will run lose compression in that cylinder, run terrible, and get awful mileage, and fail to pass emissions.

If it goes this far you can only fix it by removing the head and doing a valve job.

UD

An update. A friend borrowed the van for a 800 mile trip. It did awesome, only a 1/4 quart if that was used, good number, topped it off with redline 5w-30 hoping the ester will continue to help clean up the stuck rings. Used redline fuel injector cleaner, seemed to help. The fit still no oil loss. Got new spark plugs, just waiting for a sunny do crank it out. Thank you all for your awesome comments.

Back