Moms Car needs Tires..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had horrible experience with Michelin as they tends to not grip that well. They seems to be more fuel efficient but aren't really that good IMO, certainly not worth the premium over say Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. Them Chinese Wynstar Phaser R23 seems to do very well for me, as do the Kumhos. I'd say go with a somewhat reputable brand that's good price and call it a day. If you want good grip go for some with higher traction (AA) and lower UTQG instead of just looking for Michelin.

I'd go all season ultra high performance: Kumho Ecsta PA51

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
In just got a set of four Starfire Solarus AS (made in USA by Cooper). In 215/75/15 they were $229, shipped, with taxes, from Amazon. They are plain, cheap tires, but appear to be better made than the most of the Walmart-specials. I will mount them and put them on my Jeep Cherokee tomorrow.

In 215/60/16, they appear to be about the same price
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FS1TLQF

Starfire Solarus AS were just recalled six weeks ago. Owners notified on 1/2/2020. Looks like you dodged a bullet the recalled one is 17". But still.

https://www.arfc.org/tires/starfire/solarus_as/recalls/000101207004271721000000302/recall.aspx

Less than 500 miles a year and not driven in bad weather. I would probably get the Coopers for $62. Cheap but a name brand. I think if you sold the car having a name brand tire on it will pay for itself.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
In just got a set of four Starfire Solarus AS (made in USA by Cooper). In 215/75/15 they were $229, shipped, with taxes, from Amazon. They are plain, cheap tires, but appear to be better made than the most of the Walmart-specials. I will mount them and put them on my Jeep Cherokee tomorrow.

In 215/60/16, they appear to be about the same price
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FS1TLQF

Starfire Solarus AS were just recalled six weeks ago. Owners notified on 1/2/2020. Looks like you dodged a bullet the recalled one is 17". But still.

https://www.arfc.org/tires/starfire/solarus_as/recalls/000101207004271721000000302/recall.aspx

It is good that they recalled them so quickly.
My tires were all manufactured 4619. Pretty fresh!

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
General Altimax RT43 best tire under $100 period.

This

Originally Posted by walterjay
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
General Altimax RT43 best tire under $100 period.

This

+1 if your not super set on the coopers.

Grab the Cooper's. They are good tires. Especially at the current price tag. I about purchased a couple for myself but found a good deal on some General Exclaims. I usually recommend the Hankook 737s but they are overkill in this situation.

Pirelli P4 or P7 or similar if fitment and size is corresponding.
Continental has some nice tires, sport contact etc...
Many good choices and I agree to Not go super low end or cheap.

Michelin prices typically set records and rate good or great on just a few of their tires. No reason to be victimized by something that pricey unless you know of a great rated tire by them on sale or even competitive.
The only thing worse that paying too much for tires is dividing that as cost-per-mile on a car that goes 500 a year.

Last edited:
Check my other thread. While my requirement is not the same as yours, I do not want to spend a ton of money either as this car goes less than 4K miles a year, all local errands.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...the-door-205-55-16-nyc-region-which-ones

I would not use MRF tires. They are good for summer type season but WV weather, those few days of sleet, snow, and ice, I wouldn't jeopardize her caregiver and her.

Put the Cooper Evolutions on it and call it done. They'll do everything that you need them to do, safely, and at a good price.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Put the Cooper Evolutions on it and call it done. They'll do everything that you need them to do, safely, and at a good price.

So far thats where im at.

I will try to call my local warehouse, i have a commercial account there. He mostly deals with Sumitomo and Hercules which i think is an offspin of Coopers?

If its within $10 i will probably just go with the coopers. I will report back what a commercial account means if anything as far as prices compared to walmart.

Originally Posted by GON
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by GON
It is your Mom. 500 miles or 50,000 miles, it is you Mom. No Chinese tires for a loved one that not having a tire problem is most important.

No brainier...... Michelin. Get the best price on Michelin, and sleep good knowing you took care of your Mom.,

I disagree. Every Michelin I've come in contact with in the last 10 years has been changed due to dry rot and cracking, not necessarily mileage. It would be a waste to spend that money on something that sees 500 miles a year and might not even hold up as well as something cheaper.

Get something in the middle range price-wise with a decent mileage warranty, that way if they start cracking at lower mileage it might be covered. My two experiences with Michelin/cracking and warranties have been them telling customers to pound sand. Not worth the money like they used to be IME.

Either tire should be just fine, but for $20 more the Coopers aren't a bad deal if it helps you sleep at night.

That may be your experience with Michelins... mine have been very different. My Son's 1998 S10, just retired, had Michelin LTXs on it, driving daily, for well over ten years. Michelin is the Lexus of tires. Not sexy, a little pricey, but very good quality and darn reliable.

Unfortunately a lot has changed quality-wise in the last 10 years it seems.
frown.gif

Called the warehouse..things have changed not worth the hassle.

So

Mastercraft SRT Touring 215/60R16 95 T Tire 65K treadwear $65.33/walmart

COOPER EVOLUTION TOUR All-Season 215/60R16 95T 65K treadwear $62.36/walmart

Is anything about the mastercraft worth $3 more I would think it would be cheaper.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by GON
It is your Mom. 500 miles or 50,000 miles, it is you Mom. No Chinese tires for a loved one that not having a tire problem is most important.

No brainier...... Michelin. Get the best price on Michelin, and sleep good knowing you took care of your Mom.,

I disagree. Every Michelin I've come in contact with in the last 10 years has been changed due to dry rot and cracking, not necessarily mileage. It would be a waste to spend that money on something that sees 500 miles a year and might not even hold up as well as something cheaper.

Get something in the middle range price-wise with a decent mileage warranty, that way if they start cracking at lower mileage it might be covered. My two experiences with Michelin/cracking and warranties have been them telling customers to pound sand. Not worth the money like they used to be IME.

Either tire should be just fine, but for $20 more the Coopers aren't a bad deal if it helps you sleep at night.

This. Michelins for me = never again.
Three year old set on the Odyssey with 22K on them started to dry rot.
Michelin did nothing.
Plenty of other makes of tires available.
Some even stand behind their product.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Called the warehouse..things have changed not worth the hassle.

So

Is anything about the mastercraft worth $3 more I would think it would be cheaper.

For the usage that you have outlined, the Cooper will be more than sufficient.

COOPER EVOLUTION TOUR All-Season is the replacement for the CS4 which had very good reviews for it's time and price.

I had it for about 2k miles on an '04 Hyundai Elantra base and experienced both rain and snow and it amazed me. Just no go on shining ice.

Heard good about Cooper, seems like a stronger brand than the other you list.
My comfort zone is with brand recognition and typically, that's where you will get more info and ratings by others per reputation and piece of mind.
$60 bucks a tire is in my dreams for tire cost !! Do IT !
One of my recent cars was costing me a tad over $200 per.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Mastercrafts are generally made by Cooper(if the DOT code starts with U9). Go with the Cooper - MAstercraft is a brand for indie tire shops to carry, mostly to compete against Chinese tires and Toyo/Nitto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back