What fluid for Mazda MT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Mazda 3 from the sig. I see it needs to be 75w90 and GL4? I'm not up to speed with trans/diff specs. Someone help me out.

Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
Redline would be my choice. Go to their website and put in your vehicle info.

Yeah I see a ton of Redline being used online and in videos. I wonder why not mobil 1 or lucas, etc.?

I do a lot of racing and track events, and redline is a great racers oil. I have no first hand info on Lucas. I used 75W90 Mobil 1 in my 99 Miata LSD and it seemed fine. Note that your spec is 75W80, not 90.

If I want to shop around, is there a certain spec I'm looking for or is it just 75w80 and full synthetic and I'm good to go?

I'd rather keep what's in it than replace it with anything Lucas makes. Mobil doesn't make a GL4 75W90 that I'm aware of.

The best manual transmission fluid I've used is Motorocraft. It is very popular in the Miata community.
The Motorcraft fluid is made in Germany and is a true PAO synthetic. It's what's in a VW GTI I sold my brother that has at least 166K on it, using a diet of
Motorcraft XT-M5-QS since the 50K mark. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M5-QS-Synthetic-Transmission/dp/B000NUES82?th=1

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2013 Mazda 3 from the sig. I see it needs to be 75w90 and GL4? I'm not up to speed with trans/diff specs. Someone help me out.

The spec is for a 75W80 GL-4 MTF.

This is a list of dedicated MTF's in the SAE 75W80 category:

NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of GL-4 MTFs of the SAE 75W80 grade. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
3. BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
4. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 8.8 cSt
5. RAVENOL PSA (8.9 cSt)

D. The next higher viscosity MTL group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE 75W80):

1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
2. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.0 cSt
3. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTL's are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh's
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

Thanks for that list Mola. It seems to be up to the Redline MTL or The Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (which isn't actually on that list) Both are around $15/qt depending on where you buy from.

I wrote to Redline asking what to use in my 2016 Miata manual trans. They suggested MT-90. That's what I used. It's been shifting great!

If you have the money and time, you should pick a couple and try them. I've had Acura, Honda and Nissan MT's and they all liked different MTF's. I only used Redline or Amsoil. In one, the Redline shifted smoother and in another the Amsoil shifted smoother. The Redline seemed to last longer before I noticed a difference is shift quality. Molakule was my source of info.

From what I have read, I would definitely give that Ford XT M5... a shot.

Thanks for that list Mola. It seems to be up to the Redline MTL or The Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (which isn't actually on that list) Both are around $15/qt depending on where you buy from.

It is not on the list because it is not a 75W80 and doesn't fall into the OP's spec.

Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS has a viscosity of 14-15 cSt which makes it an SAE 75W90.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

It is not on the list because it is not a 75W80 and doesn't fall into the OP's spec.

Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS has a viscosity of 14-15 cSt which makes it an SAE 75W90.

I see, a bit heavier. What would be the downside to running a 75w90. Is it similar to someone with a 5w20 engine and using 5w30?

I bit on the redline btw. $15 a quart and I didn't see anything else that came close to that price that was in the same league...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281469206106

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

I see, a bit heavier. What would be the downside to running a 75w90. Is it similar to someone with a 5w20 engine and using 5w30?

I bit on the redline btw. $15 a quart and I didn't see anything else that came close to that price that was in the same league...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281469206106

No, not the same. It would be like shifting a Mack truck on the Arctic Circle.

It's the viscosities that differ but you will get the same additive package.

Last edited:
Someone reviewing Syncromesh on Autozone.com had a pretty helpful review...

[Linked Image]

Seems to run in line to what you're saying Mola. Like I said, I bit on the Redline MTL but I see now that I literally could have gone with any GL-4 75w80. Any performance differences from the synthetic vs non syn or is it just longevity?

...Any performance differences from the synthetic vs non syn or is it just longevity?

Synthetic would offer better shifting in higher and lower temperature extremes and would have a longer drain interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back