Schaeffer 0W-40 for Mopar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the shop today to buy a Baldwin filter (B329) for my 392. While I was there I asked if they had any 0W-40 in stock. The owner called Schaeffer's directly to ask about it and he said it was just newly introduced into their line. Apparently the owner had recently purchased a Challenger and didn't have an oil which met it's spec, so............now there is!lol! It's my preferred oil and the only oil my engine builder fills his engines with(along with the Baldwin filters) regardless of make/model/displacement. I've always had good results with it as well...
banana2.gif

Off topic but I thought the B34 was the Baldwin that fit mopar. Do the new Challengers take the same filter as the Ford Fl820s?

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Off topic but I thought the B34 was the Baldwin that fit mopar. Do the new Challengers take the same filter as the Ford Fl820s?

Mine (2014, 2016, 2020) have all taken the XG2, which yes, crosses to the FL-820S.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th

Usually there are a few which will fit. The 329 is just a little bigger(maybe 1/4" longer) so I use it as they have those on the shelf at the shop. Works fine.

Is this 0W-40 low-calcium for use in GTDI engines as well? Any idea if it is Dexos2?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by metroplex
Is this 0W-40 low-calcium for use in GTDI engines as well? Any idea if it is Dexos2?

I do know but the shop owner and engine builder of 40 years owns and rebuilds VW diesels...and it's the only oil(not specifically the 0w-40) he's ever used in them. He's had at least one of them go 400k before he sold it. I don't think Schaeffers pays GM the money for a sticker. The people who know how well it works use it regardless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HiPowerShooter

I do know but the shop owner and engine builder of 40 years owns and rebuilds VW diesels...and it's the only oil he's ever used in them. He's had at least one of them go 400k before he sold it. I don't think Schaeffers pays GM the money for a sticker. The people who know how well it works use it regardless.

Only reason I ask about Dexos2 is that Dexos2 is supposed to have LSPI testing added, so the lower calcium would be part of the formulation.

I do know but the shop owner and engine builder of 40 years owns and rebuilds VW diesels...and it's the only oil he's ever used in them. He's had at least one of them go 400k before he sold it. I don't think Schaeffers pays GM the money for a sticker. The people who know how well it works use it regardless.

Only reason I ask about Dexos2 is that Dexos2 is supposed to have LSPI testing added, so the lower calcium would be part of the formulation.

You are confusing Dexos 2 with Dexos 1, Gen 2.

Only Chrysler specs given.

Meets and exceeds the following specifications and manufacturers' requirements:
• API Service Classification SN
• Chrysler MS-12633
• Chrysler MS-10850
• Chrysler MS-10725
Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 0W-40 is not recommended for use in those
applications that specify engine oil that meets JASO MA or MB.
Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic SAE 0W-40 meets the needs of Chrysler 6.1L, 6.2L Hellcat Supercharged
and 6.4L SRT engines, where Chrysler MS-12633 is specified. Supreme 9000 SAE 0W-40 may also be
used in SRT engines originally recommending Chrysler MS-10725 and MS-10850.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

You are confusing Dexos 2 with Dexos 1, Gen 2.

No I am not. I didn't have time to find something more official but there was a website that said Dexos2 will include LSPI testing towards the end of 2018/early 2019.

I only found this in a rush:
https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

Yes I know the difference between Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 2. Dexos2 0W-40 is what GM calls for the Corvette, while Dexos1 Gen 2 5W-30 is what GM calls out for its other applications (usually 5W-30, like with ATS-V).

No I am not. I didn't have time to find something more official but there was a website that said Dexos2 will include LSPI testing towards the end of 2018/early 2019.

I only found this in a rush:
https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

Yes I know the difference between Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 2. Dexos2 0W-40 is what GM calls for the Corvette, while Dexos1 Gen 2 5W-30 is what GM calls out for its other applications (usually 5W-30, like with ATS-V).

Dexos 2 is a mid/low saps spec, used mainly in diesel applications until recently. It's like comparing VW502/505 vs 504/507 or Mercedes 229.5 vs 229.51.

You seemed to single out Dexos 2 as if it had LSPI testing the other specs did not.

Also, IRT their "Moly EP"...my engine builder and I both use it in an oil can as assembly lube for everything but the camshaft(if new) while assembling new or rebuilt lumps. Works well enough to have probably seen at least 500 engines through their original startup and break in(first couple strokes are breaking it in, subsequent are wearing it out!lol!). Great all around lubricant as a stand alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back