Castrol Actevo 10W-40 M/C Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol ActEvo MC oil is an excellent motorcycle oil. Use it with confidence. Also, most motorcycle-specific oils on the market today are excellent oils. The most important thing is giving the bike regular maintenance following the owner's manual. Do that, and you can use any fluid that meets the required spec.

Bought 20w/50 Actevo 4t for an upcoming change in my 2007 Yamaha Roadliner. Will report back with shifting / clutch observations & oil analysis when available.

Reporting back on the 20w/50 Actevo, no oil analysis, but shifting not notchy & clutch has smooth release. Subjective observation, passes the muster.

Even though using a semi synthetic or a straight mineral oil will meet
and exceed my mileage expectations I disregard the semi synthetic oils
on the principle the oil company never discloses the percentile of
expense synthetic versus cheap mineral oil to solve my cost effective
question... For the 6.50 price I can always find excellent performing
100% synthetic...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Even though using a semi synthetic or a straight mineral oil will meet
and exceed my mileage expectations I disregard the semi synthetic oils
on the principle the oil company never discloses the percentile of
expense synthetic versus cheap mineral oil to solve my cost effective
question... For the 6.50 price I can always find excellent performing
100% synthetic...

For $6.50/qt, you're getting the cheap synthetic (group iii), not the expensive synthetic (iv/v)....

Discuss.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeff78

For $6.50/qt, you're getting the cheap synthetic (group iii), not the expensive synthetic (iv/v)....

Discuss.
lol.gif

What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

[Linked Image]

I know, right? Let me tell you, when formulating a motor oil MAN is it difficult to find detergents, dispersants, antiwear, viscosity modifiers, antioxidants, rust inhibitors, pour point depressants, antifoam and all the other additives that are the same "particle" size as the base oil. And what even is an "oil particle"?

Let's not forget that even in a full-synthetic oil blended only with PAO, there's a better-than-even chance that there are two PAOs in there, which renders the base oil a mixture of different-sized "particles". Not forgetting any ester needed for solubilising the additives.

I only have experience with the 20w50. It is fine hot but very stiff when cold, takes about 30 seconds for the beemer to fast idle smoothly and another 30 to ride off without stalling. Fine oil otherwise, no consumption. I dumped it and used M1 15w50. Cranks faster and no warm up needed

Rod

Last edited:
I got a few deals on Castrol 10W-30 (Amazon $4/qt) and 10W-40 (Walmart $4.50/qt) last year and figured I would give it a try. So far, so good. It's rated API SL and JASO-MA2, so I didn't expect any issues.

I ran the Castrol ActEvo 10W-40 last year in my Honda ST1300. I ran it 4000 miles of highway and twisties, heat and rain last summer touring from Michigan to the Ozarks (Missouri and Arkansas) and through Oklahoma and back. Some days my ambient air temp read over 100 degrees! Lots of burnt rubber smell on the freeways on those hot days. Bike ran great. No unusual noises. Shifted fine in the cool mornings and also during the scorching afternoon heat. Gas MPG was about the same as usual. The ST1300 is water-cooled, so the engine temperature gauge was steady in the middle (like any other normal day).

After the trip, I ran that same oil through the fall until I changed it for the winter slumber. Shifting was about the same as when I first put it in. No problems there. No oil consumption. Color of oil looked similar to the M1 4T I ran the previous summer on a similar trip. I changed the oil in November and put in 1 orphan quart of M1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and 3+ quarts of ActEvo 10W-40 for next season. It would have been 100% Castrol, but I found the quart of Mobil 1 (old API SG) when I cleaned my garage and wanted to use it up.

For a comparison, I ran Rotella T6 5W-40 a few times in the ST1300. Shifting started getting bad around 1500 to 2000 miles. I used it for 2000 miles one season and then 4000 miles the next, then gave away 2 gallons I had in the garage to a friend with a diesel truck. Won't use that again. It was crap at 4000 miles. I have previously used Valvoline synthetic 4T and Mobil1 4T and both performed well and seemed similar. No UOA, just personal observations.

Last November, I dumped the Honda GN4 out of my NC700X and filled it with Castrol ActEvo 10W-30. We'll see how this runs next summer. The NC700X is not high performance and ran quite fine on conventional Valvoline 10W-40 4T and conventional Honda GN4 10W-30 motorcycle oil the past few years. This bike is easy on oil. After 4000 miles the GN4 looked like I could pour it back in the bottle and sell it, so I left it in for two seasons to get more miles out of it. I'm confident the ActEvo will be just fine.

The next few years will be Valvoline full synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil for the ST1300 as I scored a great price for a case at Walmart last December that I couldn't pass up. I still have the rest of a case of ActEvo 10W-30 for the NC700X.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Anyone here ever use the Castro Actevo 10W40 motorcycle oil? It's a semi-synthetic blend. Meets JASO MA2, and can get it for about $6.50/qt.

I'm debating using either Valvoline 10W40 4-Stroke M/C or Castrol 10W40 Actevo. I've used the Valvoline M/C in the past and seems to work fine (non synthetic), but wondering if the Actevo's semi-synthetic blend might help a bit with making the transmission shift better. The Actevo sounds like it's kind of like Castrol's Magnatec as they say it has "Actibond Molecules" that cling for start-up wear protection.

I never used it but I would not for one second hesitate to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back