used Caddy XTS????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!

my lease is up this summer.

I am thinking to get a USED Cadillac XTS. like 2016-2019

there are some at Caddy dealers with low mileage.

I loved my 2008DTS, gave me troubles around 75,000 miles

dumb questions:

1. might the dealer have all maintenance records?

2. should I worry that I am not the one that carefully broke in the new car? On my new cars, I change the oil at 500 miles and 2000 miles, mobil one full synthetic. I also did transmission fluid, all fluids, etc.

my goal: pay $28,000 instead of $53,000. i just retired.

my goal: get something like a 2018 or so, drive 3 years, then get another used one.

thanks so much for any ideas! I am willing to hear any ideas outside the box.

have a great day!
Bob

They won't cost you anywhere near that much.

Very good long-term reliability as well. One of my best friends owned a repair shop for over 25 years and just retired. He bought one.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Cadillac_XTS.html

GM does a lot of fleet business and these models are actually dropping like stones due to full-sized vehicles becoming as unpopular as station wagons were back in the 1990s. If you want to buy one, I tend to find them quite frequently.

https://www.facebook.com/48-Hours-And-A-Used-Car-327864380887174/

I'm not a Caddy guy, but I buy all my cars at 1 to 3 years old and drive them past 200k. I've never, ever, had a an oil or other fluid related issue.

I wouldn't count on getting service records, and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Just think of the ~$25k in your pocket over buying new. If you get a lemon, (you probably won't) then sell it and buy another.

By the way... By the time you drive a brand new car home, you are the proud owner of a nice low-mileage used car. My friend's dad bought a brand new truck, drove it home from the dealer, and died a month later without ever driving it again. My friend asked the dealer what they could do for him, and they offered the trade-in value. So buy the used Caddy and don't look back!

THANK YOU! makes me feel better about getting a used car!!! good to hear you got 200,000 miles out of them.

simply- what do you do for maintenance?
oil changes every 4000? transmission fluid? coolant? brake fluid? etc etc

very helpful!

best,

Bob

I change the oil every 6,000 to 7,500k with synthetic oil that meets manufacturers specs. (Usually either Super Tech or Mobil1 when the rebate is on) I stock up on M1 during the rebate for the S60 because it requires ACEA A5/B5. Any oil meeting Dexos1 gen 2 will be fine for a Caddy. Transmission service whenever the manual calls for it give or take a few thousand. Coolant every 150k or 5 years, per the manual. Brake fluid whenever the brakes are serviced. I've never worried too much about P/S fluid. I changed it once on my Colorado because a line rusted through. I replaced the lines and flushed all the fluid at the same time.

They are nice. They are also built on the same platform as the Impala. So best bang for the buck would be a high end Impala.
But prices of the XTS have dropped a lot since they were discontinued as well.

smile.gif

Thanks guys! sounds like i should have good luck! Just follow the owners manual. I DID do all fluids in my caddy pretty often. It sold in about 5 days for $8,000 cash, because of my maintenance records. the dealer offered me $2500!!!! car was running great.

In Massachusetts we have to watch for rust. my wife 2012 Accord is not rusted yet.

thanks so much

bob

Nice cars on a pretty sorted platform, might even be able to find a 17+ with bumper to bumper remaining and extend it to 100k miles for under $3k or so if it makes you feel better. You are still paying about 45-55% for a car with 90% of the usable life left.

1. Dealer will have records if serviced there. CarFax if serviced by dealers will list it. Ask for either. If glove box was full of them dealers cleaning crew tosses them out.
2. Break in no longer applicable to modern cars. Don't worry about it especially with 3 year even 5 year ownership periods.

I think it'd be worth taking to a mechanic to take a look-see down inside the oil filler neck. It's baffled, so you can't see directly down into the head without a scope (or at least both my 3.6s were / are). Look for sludge. If it's sparkling clean, you might be alright on the timing chain front. If you see black, walk away.

If you're retired, how many miles will you put on it in 3 years? Probably, not that many. 36000 miles? It doesn't take special fluid changes or maintenance to get a car with 50k miles to 90k miles. If you're looking at a 4 year old car with low mileage, it will have it factory fill fluids everywhere except the oil. And no one broke it in gently.

The XTS are pretty sharp cars. Especially the rear ends on the newer ones.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I think it'd be worth taking to a mechanic to take a look-see down inside the oil filler neck. It's baffled, so you can't see directly down into the head without a scope (or at least both my 3.6s were / are). Look for sludge. If it's sparkling clean, you might be alright on the timing chain front. If you see black, walk away.

The other thing I'd do is take it to a body shop for review. Body shop work nowadays is good enough that a layman (like me) can't see that a fender has been repainted. But if it has, there's a reason and the fender will deteriorate before original body and paint. Ask me how I know.

When you're looking for something that's fairly easy to find, I'd suggest you be super picky.

I did similar. I'm a retiree and bought a low-mileage '15 LaCrosse off a lease two years ago this month. Similar to XTS, of course. Body and engine of both cars pretty much the same. Paid half of what a new LaCrosse costs. (Make my last car payment this week.) Been a nice car for me. Good highway vehicle. Wife has some physical problems, and the LaCrosse front passenger seat (highly adjustable) accommodates her requirements. Before I bought the car I got underneath the front end. Had the body shop at the dealership buff out some scratches. Also, because of that, I was able to get the floor manager to knock $200 off the purchase price. I think one gets a lot of bang for the buck buying higher-end sedans coming off a lease.

Nice cars, only issue WILL be the CUE system screen. They ALL go bad in ALL Cadillac models. The touch screen goes bad where it won't respond to your finger presses. It usually starts in one part of the screen and gets worse from there. So - touch everything on the screen to be sure it works. I have changed about 7-8 XTS screens alone. Don't pay the $1200 from the dealer for new one....I get mine remaufactured for around $600 with a warranty or you can pay somebody local about 250-400 range for screen replacement. It takes about an hour to remove and replace the unit - it is the entire unit you have to remove.

I was thinking of one too, I was looking at the XTS V-sport with the turbo V6 - nice!

Oh - The only other issues I have seen are the air box to intake hose will crack and split causing a lean misfire - replaced 2 of these and they run $100. The other issue is the trans cooler lines will weep oil and you will see it from under the hood as a fine oil mist coating. The lines are cheap and about an hour to replace.

AND the last problem, IF your car as the magnetic ride shocks, the front struts will sieze up. Did 3 of these at $500 a strut.

So -nice car, cheap to buy but a few COMMON issues they have.

I would still buy one because I do my own repairs and have the equipment. If you don't plan some side money for these repairs.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

in retirement, i drive 10,000 miles a year. If I get a 2018 with 30,000 miles, i should get 3-5 years out of it-or more! prices were about $28,000
thanks so much to everybody

it seems like a used car is a good value!

i have 2 good mechanics, independent, that i trust.

best regards,

Bob
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back