Moms Car needs Tires..

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Accord LX 215/60/16 52000 miles.

Car is driven maybe 500 miles a year.. if that.

Will be due for state inspection in March. Tires currently on the car are Goodyear Viva 2 with a 2014 date code. Tires are dry rotted around the bead area and are starting to lose air and trip the sensors every 4 months.

I havent went to my local warehouse yet, i think he pushes sumitomos.. but in the meanwhile i have my eye on

COOPER EVOLUTION TOUR All-Season 215/60R16 95T Tire $62.36/tire at walmart. $1 cheaper on Amazon

On the other Hand.. I can get a set of Set of 4 (FOUR) MRF Wanderer Street Touring All-Season Radial Tires from Amazon for $187.93/free shipping.

Im not penny pinching but do you think its worth $20/tire for the coopers?

I got some MRF ZVTV tires last April for my prius, based on how cheap they were. Indian tire company branching out to the US.

They balanced, held air, had adequate grip, noise, harshness, and did everything I wanted until I sold the car.
lol.gif

I absolutely would get them again.

It is your Mom. 500 miles or 50,000 miles, it is you Mom. No Chinese tires for a loved one that not having a tire problem is most important.

No brainier...... Michelin. Get the best price on Michelin, and sleep good knowing you took care of your Mom.,

Originally Posted by GON
It is your Mom. 500 miles or 50,000 miles, it is you Mom. No Chinese tires for a loved one that not having a tire problem is most important.

No brainier...... Michelin. Get the best price on Michelin, and sleep good knowing you took care of your Mom.,

I disagree. Every Michelin I've come in contact with in the last 10 years has been changed due to dry rot and cracking, not necessarily mileage. It would be a waste to spend that money on something that sees 500 miles a year and might not even hold up as well as something cheaper.

Get something in the middle range price-wise with a decent mileage warranty, that way if they start cracking at lower mileage it might be covered. My two experiences with Michelin/cracking and warranties have been them telling customers to pound sand. Not worth the money like they used to be IME.

Either tire should be just fine, but for $20 more the Coopers aren't a bad deal if it helps you sleep at night.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Whew, good thing they're not Chinese.

Exactly they have been in china for years !

Just did a quick check on the MTF:

UTQG Treadwear: 360, Traction: A, Temperature: B

That is a very low treadwear number, and most average tires today gave a temperature rating of A.

In just got a set of four Starfire Solarus AS (made in USA by Cooper). In 215/75/15 they were $229, shipped, with taxes, from Amazon. They are plain, cheap tires, but appear to be better made than the most of the Walmart-specials. I will mount them and put them on my Jeep Cherokee tomorrow.

In 215/60/16, they appear to be about the same price
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FS1TLQF

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GON
Just did a quick check on the MTF:

UTQG Treadwear: 360, Traction: A, Temperature: B

That is a very low treadwear number, and most average tires today gave a temperature rating of A.

B is pretty standard for a T rated or lower tire. You normally only see A on higher speed rated tires like H V or Z. A of course would be better but then usually tire warranty is less on a higher speed rated tire.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by GON

I disagree. Every Michelin I've come in contact with in the last 10 years has been changed due to dry rot and cracking, not necessarily mileage. It would be a waste to spend that money on something that sees 500 miles a year and might not even hold up as well as something cheaper.

Get something in the middle range price-wise with a decent mileage warranty, that way if they start cracking at lower mileage it might be covered. My two experiences with Michelin/cracking and warranties have been them telling customers to pound sand. Not worth the money like they used to be IME.

Either tire should be just fine, but for $20 more the Coopers aren't a bad deal if it helps you sleep at night.

That may be your experience with Michelins... mine have been very different. My Son's 1998 S10, just retired, had Michelin LTXs on it, driving daily, for well over ten years. Michelin is the Lexus of tires. Not sexy, a little pricey, but very good quality and darn reliable.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Wait a minute, Moms driving 1.3 miles a day and she needs Michelins? Hey Mom, welcome to Walmart.

Yeah really. At 500 miles per year, I'm also wondering, just how much does she drive when it's raining, snowing, or otherwise something other than a really nice day.
21.gif
This sounds like a good case for low cost tires that not expected to have high mileage warranty--they will age out first.

OP, hard to say, but I probably would spring the extra coin. I wouldn't spend Michelin extra, but knowing me, I tend to go mid-range in general.

If you have that size on one of your cars put new ones on her car and swap them to your car in 2 years to use them up.

I will add to the story. My mom is on Oxygen and also has cataracts along with other health issues. She will most likely never drive again.. but she wants it parked in front of her house..just in case. Her caregiver takes her to appointments and to the store in it on occasion. Usually 10 miles every week or every other week. If its raining or bad weather the caregiver drives her car.. my mom wont let her drive her car in the rain or snow.

I have told her it would be cheaper to do an uber or taxi but she wants the security of her own car parked in her own driveway.

Originally Posted by dbias
If you have that size on one of your cars put new ones on her car and swap them to your car in 2 years to use them up.

I dont have that size tire on my vehicles.. and since they are losing air slowly.. and dry rotted i wouldnt feel safe myself..plus they wont pass WV inspection.. I will however sell them with disclaimers..and someone will use them up.

Walmart is having a rollback on the Cooper Evolution tires. Nice mid tier tire. Just ordered 4 for my Accord, they are about 15.00 less than simpletire.com right now

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
In just got a set of four Starfire Solarus AS (made in USA by Cooper). In 215/75/15 they were $229, shipped, with taxes, from Amazon. They are plain, cheap tires, but appear to be better made than the most of the Walmart-specials. I will mount them and put them on my Jeep Cherokee tomorrow.

In 215/60/16, they appear to be about the same price
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FS1TLQF

Girlfriend got these from Wally. Doesn't drive much but they're doing great. Very low price.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
General Altimax RT43 best tire under $100 period.

Maybe, but there are far better tires than that for $108. Vredestein Quatrac 5 for example. Is Mom worth an extra eight bucks? I think she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back