Pentosin Dot 4LV in a G37x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The left rear caliper has stuck on a few occasions after bad weather trips and both rears have pretty significant corrosion (base sliding cast iron calipers) so I ordered a pair of Raybestos R-line replacements, new Akebono ASP pads and 2L of the Pentosin Dot4 LV fluid based on the thinking the car might see -20f this winter but now I am a bit concerned I made a mistake going with a LV fluid for this application. Any insights would be appreciated.

DOT 4LV will work just fine. I have it in most of the cars I maintain. It's a must on newer cars calling for DOT 4LV, but since it's less viscous than regular DOT 3/4 it can translate to more transparent ABS operation.

I've noticed a change in the brake pedal for the better in one case.

Pentosin says it's fully backwards-compatible with regular DOT4 and DOT3 and can even be mixed. I have some myself that I planned to use to exchange the fluid in my wife's Fusion (which specs DOT4 LV) and was going to use it in my G35X as well.

Just to reassure you (more):

NOTE: Low viscosity brake fluid can be used in vehicles that do not require a low viscosity fluid; however, standard DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid should not be used for top off in vehicles that require a low viscosity brake fluid. This action will reduce the low temperature properties and decrease the safety performance of the fluid.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_brakefluid.asp

You did not make a mistake using LV
smile.gif

New parts installed and the LV fluid works great in the G at warm temps, improved pedal modulation and feel over 1 year old Valvoline 3/4. Thanks again to all that replied.

I use that in my Passat. Sure it is expensive but it is the same stuff the VW dealer sells relabeled. I am not sure if I could use non LV fluid but I am happy with my brakes the way they are anyhow and would not switch from using that. Unless you have a strange car that takes some weird special fluid you can use the LV. Some people might say using that is overkill but I have a feeling they are the ones who have a beat up old clunker that barely runs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back