Should I replace the timing chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of help and advice from members here (thank you everyone), I am going to do some to me major repair work on my '06 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7L. It has a small coolant seepage from the timing cover and the radiator cracked. So I am going to replace the radiator and reseal the timing cover. Since I am removing the water pump, replace that too. My next question is since I will be staring right at the timing chain and my car has 170k miles on it, should I replace the chain too? The only issue is the oil pump is in the way and I think i need to fully remove the oil pan to do this.. Anyone replace the timing set on a HEMI without dropping the pan? Or since it is not causing any problems, just reseal the cover and forget about it?

Thanks.

I've seen this video, that is part what is giving me some of the confidence to do the job. The only problem, he doesnt show how he got the pump off. He took the bolts out, then next frame, its just removed. I read through the comments some and someone asked him if he was able to remove the pump without pulling the pan. He said he wasnt that lucky... So I still think I need to..

If it were an actual maintenance item (like timing belt) then yes. However its a "lifetime" part and its functioning nope.

Seems kinda early in life to change?

Can you check the tensioner and see if it is somehow indicating that the chain is worn?

If you've maintained the vehicle well with frequent oil changes and quality oil, it's quite likely the chain is fine. Chains prefer about a 30 viscosity oil, so keep that in mind if you've been using 0W-20 oil.

The 5.7 is a very long life engine and there are many who get 400K+ out of them without ever changing the chain. Can you take it apart and assess the situation? Then purchase parts if necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimzz
170k I would replace the full timing system.

And from looking at this video I don't think you need to remove the oil pan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iiry9jMG0s

Looks pretty simple and shouldn't be expensive to do. I'd change it since you're already going to be into the engine.

I feel the vehicle has been properly maintained since new. It was my fathers before I acquired it. According to the last oil analysis they say the same. I posted it here, and it said the engine is wearing remarkably well. I am not experiencing any issues with the car other than slight coolant seepage and the crack in the radiator. It was a simple since I'm there should I.. Or should I stop the bleeding since I am already throwing a lot of since I'm there parts in....

I normally wouldnt get involved but book time is only showing an additional 1.5 hours between timing cover and chains, so it doesnt seem like its a big job. They do say remove oil pan to take the pump off, which adds either 3.5 or 6 hours depending on AWD. If you can sneak it, and especially if theres wear, Id swap it out. However the pan job would definitely make me think. prokets are recommended in the book also, not sure if its a necessity or not. Looks like chain and sprockets come out together.

A timing chain on a pushrod engine lives an easier life than a OHC one - shorter and much more simple drive. The tensioner and guide rails are more of a concern than the chain itself. On some cars - more so German ones, timing chain, tensioner and rail replacement is a fact of life.

I'd take a look-see, see if there's irregular wear or cracks/chips on the guide rails, the tensioner appears to be in good shape with no oil leaks or hyperextension of the plunger or pushrod. If it makes you feel better, replace everything as a set.

Last edited:
If you are more than half way into what would be a timing job replacement, do it especially if you plan to keep it long term.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If it were an actual maintenance item (like timing belt) then yes. However its a "lifetime" part and its functioning nope.

I used to follow that logic and I didn't replace the primary chain and tensioner when I did the secondaries on my XTerra at approximately the same mileage as OP. A year later the primary tensioner failed and I had to open everything back up.

I would like to replace it.. I agree that since I am 95+ percent of the way there, I might as well... As long as I can get that pickup tube off! Is Cloyes a good brand to choose? Seems to be priced good enough, and has all the parts I am needing.

I'm an OEM guy for stuff like the timing drive - there might be some updates Mopar did. I've heard nothing bad about Cloyes, they've been around for a while but do beware that some of their stuff might be white-box.

I'd use OEM in this application if you are going to replace. Inspect what you have, if it warrants replacement, proceed. The mileage is high enough that there may be sufficient play that replacement makes sense.

Well, update time.... If anyone wants one... I got the car all torn down to the timing chain, took the four bolts out for the oil pump, it rotated enough to get the oil pickup off and the pump slid right off. Then I tired to rotate the engine to TDC to swap the old for the new. But I could not get the engine to get in time. The upper cam mark kept comming up a tooth off. So maybe Chrysler messed up from the factory? I got nervous and did not want to put it back together what seemed right but have it run bad... So since i didn't see any wear, I just left it.. Not my happiest choice, but currently still running good. Maybe next time.

I'm not sure if your Hemi has VVT or DOD(Chrysler calls it MDS, GM calls it AFM). If so, there might be a trick to timing the engine or adjusting the cam phaser to correlate with the cam without advance/retard.

As long as the car idles well, has power and no cam/crank correlation codes consider it a job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back