RA key fob for me?

I recently broke the rim of the key fob for my highlander, where it connects to my key chain. It still functions just fine, locking & unlocking the doors.

I found this on Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...%2BsZZwW9Rf7Lq7jKhEUTR1PruQBjtmyyLF%2BPV

Now all I need to do is get a new case--the battery & the insides are working just fine. So will this do what I want? Or would I still have to take it somewhere to get it programmed for my car?

Please keep in mind I have never transferred the innards of one fob to another; I'm assuming this can be easily done by a newbie. If this isn't the case, let me know.

Last edited:
I would look around my office for a very thick paperclip, or a round clasp type paper binder, or roam a hardware store for a metal loop even if it's just a little stainless steel washer. Come to think of it, I probably have some spare lanyards lying around, like those that used to come with USB flash drives, etc, with a little metal loop on the end that would be ideal, or off a mini maglite flashlight or some other keychain widget.

I'd use an abrasion/sanding tool, like sandpaper or a file or a bench grinder, to grind away the keyloop portion still attached to the casing, and then make slots in the keyfob casing in that area to slip in the replacement metal loop. Making sure I didn't cause a fit issue with the circuit board inside, I'd secure the loop in place with epoxy on the inside, after cleaning the case and loop with alcohol.

Last edited:
Those have worked for me as well, to replace the original Toyota cases that broke. Nothing to it.

Those break too, only a little sooner, but they are a lot less $$ than buying from Toyota.

To save $5???!! Or as a project?

Originally Posted by Dave9
I would look around my office for a very thick paperclip, or a round clasp type paper binder, or roam a hardware store for a metal loop even if it's just a little stainless steel washer. Come to think of it, I probably have some spare lanyards lying around, like those that used to come with USB flash drives, etc, with a little metal loop on the end that would be ideal, or off a mini maglite flashlight or some other keychain widget.

I'd use an abrasion/sanding tool, like sandpaper or a file or a bench grinder, to grind away the keyloop portion still attached to the casing, and then make slots in the keyfob casing in that area to slip in the replacement metal loop. Making sure I didn't cause a fit issue with the circuit board inside, I'd secure the loop in place with epoxy on the inside, after cleaning the case and loop with alcohol.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Bench grinder lol. Alcohol prep
thumbsup2.gif

Just arrived today and old innards are currently inside new RA key fob with new lithium battery. Working fine. Thanks for the replies.

Just to see how much I could save, I called the local Toyota dealer and I was quoted over $100 for a new key fob, plus whatever the service dept would charge to program it. But to his credit, the guy on the phone advised me to just get an aftermarket unit like I did.

Last edited:
Back