Selling GM Card earning???

I've got about $3500 in GM card earnings, plus another $1000 bonus they just sent me. I'm not going to be using them anytime soon and was thinking about selling them.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or advice you could give me?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
How exactly does your card work? How did you earn so much?

At least the GM card I have you earn 5% cash back up to $500 per year to a total of $3,500 in 7 years max. So you have to wait 7 years to get the full $3,500, the extra $1k is what GM might offer on top of it to get you in to purchase a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
We've tried to just give ours to other family members. No dice. They weren't transferable.
Thanks. I read something about adding the person who was buying them as an authorized user and it would work, but was unsure if that would be wise.

How exactly does your card work? How did you earn so much?

I earn 5% up to $500 per year for 7 years. I'm into the 8th year now and I'm starting to loose what I earned. For example, I'll loose what I earned in January 2013 at the end of this month.

I passed about $1000 to my sister in laws family years ago. It could only be passed to a family member (extended was fine) and I had to sign her up for a card on my account before they could be used. I still get a card for her when the expiry date comes around but I just cut it up. I don't think selling it to a stranger would work.

Last edited:
I sold my GM card earnings to a friend back in August. He put them towards the purchase of a new Colorado. All I had to do was add him as an authorized user and wait a few days for Capital One to update the required information on their end.

Originally Posted by alchargo
I sold my GM card earnings to a friend back in August. He put them towards the purchase of a new Colorado. All I had to do was add him as an authorized user and wait a few days for Capital One to update the required information on their end.

Thanks!

Have you since changed to a different card with more practical cash-back options?

I've got a few. The GM was the best % return. We just didn't like the start-stop on the Blazer and the Equinox wasn't very comfortable.

Back