Anyone overfill the crankcase on purpose?

Some LS motors will starve at the full line under racing conditions, and the recommendation is to run a full extra quart. I always run mine 1/2 quart over.

On the other hand, the Hyundai takes about 1/3 quart less than the stated capacity to reach the full line even after running it to fill the new filter, and that's where I stop. I hope I can trust the dipstick ...

To follow up my previous post, my Camry calls for 4.6 or 4.7 qts. The dipstick was a about a 1/4 below the full mark from the factory and 1/4 below the full mark when I add the specified volume of oil. It's right at the full mark when I put in 5 qts. Seems like a miscommunication somewhere.

I've also heard of a revision to a crankcase capacity a few years after it was sold. Think it was the Corolla. They specified an extra quart than what's in the owner's manual and they'll sell you a new dipstick to show full where the original one showed a qt overfilled.

My 2013 Kia Optima 2.4 has the Orange oil dipstick (factory recall) which is marked higher up.

I forget what the specs are (4.6 quarts?) but I dump in the entire 5 quart jug, and it puts me on the full mark.

My OCD tries to go just a hair above the top dot knowing that it will drop by a hair when the filter gets full. On cars that you know it's going to burn a little oil, you can probably go a tad over the top dot and sleep easy.

Originally Posted by Leo99
To follow up my previous post, my Camry calls for 4.6 or 4.7 qts. The dipstick was a about a 1/4 below the full mark from the factory and 1/4 below the full mark when I add the specified volume of oil. It's right at the full mark when I put in 5 qts. Seems like a miscommunication somewhere.

I've also heard of a revision to a crankcase capacity a few years after it was sold. Think it was the Corolla. They specified an extra quart than what's in the owner's manual and they'll sell you a new dipstick to show full where the original one showed a qt overfilled.

What year and engine size is your camry?

What oil filter are you using?

No, I do not overfill a Toyota engine with a reputation for the same issues JohnG mentions with the Northstar. I pour in the specified volume, which puts the dipstick about 85% of the way up from low to add, checking it cold.

When the dipstick seems to disagree with the specified volume, who knows which to believe?

I just can't overfill, it drives me nuts. I keep the level like 1/16" under the full mark. I know a little over full won't hurt, it's just me though.

I am a exact kind of cat....

4 and 7/8. Goes into my Nissan Altima VQ with a total oil change and new oil filter...

That's all it gets. Not over that.

If I change the oil and leave the filter on there... 4 qts and anywhere from 8-16 ozs... To the top of the line.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by bachman
I'll add that I used to do my vehicle o/c myself quite a bit and it was simple and painless- even seemed worth the savings when oil and filter total were $12 to $15 and oci were the 3000 to 5000 range.
Now, it seems pointless to me in that I have dealer LOF I pre paid for on the Mazda and a good deal if you keep the car a few years..... the other one is a 5500 - 6000 mi oci I am comfortable with coming up once a year or at 11 months so far. I trust them, they stamp the book and my first o/c was with a coupon for 39.99 as prescribed full syn at VW. Our two cars combined miles annually is 12,000 - 14,000 so LOF costs might average $4 a month.

The one thing I always do is check the stick after the dealer service.

LOL. Why do you check the oil if you trust them?

Changing you own oil isn't about the money. It's to makes sure it's done right, look over the vehicle, work on machines, etc.

Yeah, you got me there.
laugh.gif

When I say "trust", take it to mean I'm pretty certain they put new oil in my car. Where it is on the stick isn't as much a mild fascination as it is visual verification ... lol
In my prior post, I mention I'd never overfill because I'd heard it could lead to trouble, yet over many years there were occasions where the stick was high on a fresh dealer o/c. Never to the point I went back to have it corrected though.

Originally Posted by hatt

The manufacturer wants the fill to be in range on the dipstick.

This makes it so simple too. Those ref marks are there by design and if you are overfilled, or low, really easy to spot. On my older cars, like an '88 3.8 Olds or the '77 403, I seem to recall the low mark being around a full quart from the top mark.

No because when the correct amount gets put in it's already a little over the full mark. All three of the GM 3800's I have owned have been like this no matter who changes it. I don't change my own oil so I make sure and only take in 4.5 quarts. My 5.7 is 5 quarts and is usually right on the full mark after an OC.

I've done it on purpose, but only slightly, like 1/4 quart, on my old Jeep 3.8, knowing it would drink it down within 300 miles or so. I've done it accidentally to the tune of probably 1/2 quart. I monitored closely, looking on the dipstick right after shutoff to see if there was any visual clue of a problem and all looked fine.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least room for 1 additional quart in most engines, as overfilling is probably a very common error.

I have always rounded up. My capacities range from 5.5 to 6.7. They all get either 6 or 7 qts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I'm about 500 miles away from servicing my wife's 2018 with a 2.0 Turbo GDI. I'm thinking about running a smart change box of Havoline Pro DS 5w30 for this OCI. The manual says the car holds 5.7 quarts while the box of oil has 6 quarts in it. It seems near impossible to get the oil perfectly filled to that amount so I'm thinking I'll just pour all 6 in it. I know it wouldn't normally hurt anything but with the direct injection causing fuel dilution I'm second guessing putting the oil up the stick to start with. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't make a habit of it. It just increases the crankcase pressure.

We changed a peugeot catalytic converter out recently and it had a nice ring of ash in there, wasn't even recommended to have mid or low saps oil.

Havoline is quality oil, just put the correct amount in and use the remaining for top-ups.

Which ProDS are you going for and what car is it going in?

Back