Houses/condos and pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG-ers,

Since you got your un-word-ly lovable friends into your house, beside food and a pet bed/cage, did you had to do anything special for them?

-pet proof the house?
-build the ultimate toy/house/exercise thingy?
-etc etc etc

P.S. my friends got an 8 months old doggy and she started to chew a new wall patch + corner(calcium deficiency?)

My dog was a power chewer up until about 2 years. Chewed the walls. The baseboards. The furniture. My wallet. I'm so glad he's over that.

Nylabones are surprisingly durable, and made in USA. Puppies are going to get in to trouble when left unattended, that's one of their primary objectives.
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Exercise. A tired dog is a well behaved dog.
You have to be careful with over exercising especially when young. My sister brought her to the dog park all the time as she lived close to one and didn't really play with her. She limps around after running around at five years old because she was overexercised when she was young. A walk through a forest and a small amount of short distance fetch is usually pretty good, but having a second dog to play with is the best.

I have a tortoise, 60 gallon aquarium, and 3 cats. There is no such thing as cat proof, so they get to do what they want. Shelly stays in his enclosure/hibernates most of winter.

Blue here has eaten most of my other fish, so he may be getting some more aggressive tank mates soon.

I'll be building an outdoor enclosure for Shelly in the spring so he can spend some time outside... he may actually spend most of the summer out there.

[Linked Image]

Dogs sleep a lot. Using a crate for the time you are not home is reasonable. At some point they will stop chewing stuff. You want to come home and love your dog, not be [censored] off because they chewed something.

Dogs will end up thinking their crate is their cave and may go in their to sleep even if you are home, depending upon where the crate is.

Put the dog outside during the day or she should take it to a doggy daycare...Also, never bring a puppy to a dog park until the vet says it's safe to.

Dogs chew because they're bored. If the owner can't get home at lunch for a quick walk then I suggest crating the dog (w/food,water,toys) and then of course the standard play time and walk tailored for the breed whenever the owner gets home. I also suggest taking the dog everywhere possible during the weekends.

As others have said- if the puppy is going to be kept out, you need to cure the boredom. Give it something to play with. That said, leaving a puppy in a kennel/crate during the day is not a bad option either.

As for things you can do:
- Put clear packing tape on wall corners. Dogs like the resistance the corner provides their teeth and the tape will prevent the dog from experiencing this.
- Put away things that would make you said to lose- dogs inevitably will find the thing you care about the most to chew on.
- If needed, a water mixture containing cayenne pepper and lemon can be made to spray on things that you don't want your dog to chew on. There's a lot of things you can use, just google it.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise. Dogs do sleep a lot, but they also have a lot of natural energy.
- Get yourself a spray bottle. Instead of yelling at my dogs or spanking them in order to correct bad behavior, we've always bought water bottles and sprayed them in the face with a stern "No." and that has worked really well.

At the end of the day though, puppies will do puppy things. That's why they're so cute- something has to draw you in and put up with their destruction.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I have a tortoise, 60 gallon aquarium, and 3 cats. There is no such thing as cat proof, so they get to do what they want. Shelly stays in his enclosure/hibernates most of winter.

Blue here has eaten most of my other fish, so he may be getting some more aggressive tank mates soon.

I'll be building an outdoor enclosure for Shelly in the spring so he can spend some time outside... he may actually spend most of the summer out there.

[Linked Image]

How do fish eat in nature?

Originally Posted by CT8

Carefully..to avoid becoming lunch. ...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Nylabones are surprisingly durable, and made in USA. Puppies are going to get in to trouble when left unattended, that's one of their primary objectives.
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Exercise. A tired dog is a well behaved dog.
You have to be careful with over exercising especially when young. My sister brought her to the dog park all the time as she lived close to one and didn't really play with her. She limps around after running around at five years old because she was overexercised when she was young. A walk through a forest and a small amount of short distance fetch is usually pretty good, but having a second dog to play with is the best.

That dog was not damaged by running around the dog park. More likely genetic issues caused by the puppy mill, or the dog is overweight.

My cat has a bunch of catnip mice she loves. But her favorite thing is boxes. She has more fun with cardboard boxes than all the toys that I buy her.

My red eared slide turtles love attention and to be handled. They always want to be hand fed and held. When I let them out to walk around,my cat just stares at them haha.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by CT8

Carefully..to avoid becoming lunch. ...

crackmeup2.gif

I was feeding every other day, now I feed every day but he's still eating the others

Don't know about cats. But the most important thing for many breeds of dogs are the following three items. 1) - Excercise 2) - Excercise & 3) - Excercise.

Dogs want to be out and about on long walks or runs in a variety of outdoor settings. They are wonderful companions that will keep us in top notch shape if we do for them what (most breeds) want to do. Very simple if you take that attitude. If you want them to sit docile at home all day long while you go about your business you are likely to be disapointed at the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back