heavy guage wire strippers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do they have wire strippers that will strip the jacket off of a cable? Say like 16 gauge all the way to 8 gauge? SO and SJT rated cable? I know a lot of people take a razor blade and cut around it carefully, but I find it hard to believe an electrician would do this.

Then once you get the jacket off just use regular wire strippers to strip the smaller wires.

Search for cable sheath stripper/cutter. The tool scores the outside jacket so it can be pulled off.

On large cable it's very common to cut carefully with scissors or a knife-- this is why experts are paid big bucks.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I know a lot of people take a razor blade and cut around it carefully, but I find it hard to believe an electrician would do this.
I've seen more than one electrician strip wires with an Olfa but the appropriate tool is a cable knife.

Klein yellow strippers can strip pretty thick stuff, no? If not, you can always just strip them with a smaller gauge stripper if you are careful.

Even with a stripper, it is not so straightforward to get the outer sheath off if it has multiple conductors because the # of them and type of insulation used, determines the total outer diameter. A stripper is just intended for a single conductor of gauge X.

You can still get a user-adjustable cable stripper tool, but then have to pay attention to how you adjust it for each particular task, and in the gauges you're talking about, will usually still need a more traditional stripper tool to do the individual conductors. Here's a video showing the basic principle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgl_pUSVes

Might as well just use a pipe cutter. lol I was doing it with a razor blade cutting half of it then bending it to rip it open some then cutting the other half from the inside out (so I don't cut the conductors) to cut the rest of it off.

As you said, a razor blade. More specifically, a utility knife with a fresh razor blade. Under 14 AWG, I use these:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

And I often use the next larger stop in order to prevent cutting any wire. I have strippers of every other style, and this cheap little thing is my favourite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
As you said, a razor blade. More specifically, a utility knife with a fresh razor blade. Under 14 AWG, I use these:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

And I often use the next larger stop in order to prevent cutting any wire. I have strippers of every other style, and this cheap little thing is my favourite.

yep I have one of those myself, my go to almost always

If you want to strip SO or SJO, use a sharp razor knife and lightly score the outside rubber jacket and bend it till it cracks. If the first cut is not deep enough, do it again lightly until it detaches, then remove the outside jacket. Then use a pair of wire strippers to trim the stranded conductors, they usually go up to #10 AWG. These go down to #8 AWG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002RI4U4/ref=twister_B06WGR5WDC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back