Any truth that a service dept will take care of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
YMMV

I've not had any problems having my cars serviced at a different dealer than the selling dealer.

However, back in the last millennium, my Dad did have an issue with the local AMC dealer who flat-out told him the since he bought his car at a different AMC dealer, he should take it back there for the warranty work the car needed done. One call to the Zone Manager and their attitude did a 180.

Some it won't matter where you bought your car from, but a lot of the euro luxo dealerships around me that have a car wash won't let you run your car through it unless you bought your car from them.

Originally Posted by mjk
Woman was in there for an oil change, the eagle eyed service tech noted the brake fluid was a bit dark. For the low price of 85.00, they would change it for her.

How many turkey basters and bottles of fluid would that buy? LOL.

Honda (the automaker, not random Honda dealers) recommends replacing the brake fluid every 2-3 years (can't remember which it is for sure) and for $85, that's a steal ! That's presuming they do a proper, full flush and not just remove and replace some fluid in the reservoir.

^ $85 seems about right while they already have the vehicle in the bay and administrative/logistics for a vehicle service no matter how much more service they sell, but I for one would find it disturbing that they're messing with my brake fluid reservoir and who knows what else when I just wanted an oil change, unless they had advertised it as a some kind of comprehensive vehicle inspection, which I'd politely decline. That is always something to keep in mind, that unless you tell them not to, they're probably looking for something to up-sell.

It helps that the brake flush is a quart of new fluid. = $ 85 - $ 6.99 = happy dealer happy mechanic. + it's gravy, already in the shop/on lift : )
Stuff's almost as cheap as gasoline!

Originally Posted by Pew
Some it won't matter where you bought your car from, but a lot of the euro luxo dealerships around me that have a car wash won't let you run your car through it unless you bought your car from them.

I stupidly forgot to pull the tape off a replacement battery that on a second key fob that I'd never tried. The dealer (on my Hertz Soul), pulled the tape and washed the car. I have bought a car there before. The rest of my cars may very well be Hertz purchases given my age and the good experience I had with the buy and the car, but I appreciated the good will and if a euro luxo dealership (not that I'll ever go to one), didn't do a five buck carwash because I hadn't bought there, I probably would NEVER buy there. Penny wise and pound foolish IMHO.

Originally Posted by vw7674
It helps that the brake flush is a quart of new fluid. = $ 85 - $ 6.99 = happy dealer happy mechanic. + it's gravy, already in the shop/on lift : )
Stuff's almost as cheap as gasoline!

Fluid is cheap. It's the cost of labor that runs up the price.

Case by case in my estimation. There is just no way a blanket statement like that could ever prove true IMO but that doesn't mean one shouldn't give the dealership involved a try or chance.
If I purchased the vehicle there and keep all my services there, I do think or hope they'll take good care of me and I won't be bashful if needing to step up my game to get things resolved. Social media and report cards or service surveys are big ways of rewarding good customer care but it works the other way too.

In my case, I've found the dealers work out fine thus far. My default is based on a Mazda purchased new 3 years ago and a VW purchased new 2 years ago. In these cases, service and warranty issues will go " by the book " at the related dealership. I am a shopper so any out of pocket situations are those I tend to shop or price check but otherwise I'm pretty loyal.
My Mazda LOF is a plan that I purchased ahead to secure the LT o/c at a favorable cost so that ties me in so-to-speak plus, they cater to my schedule very well so it's working good.
The thing I like about keeping things within the dealer is straightforward service records/history and the leverage one has if things get dicey on a service problem or warranty coverage issues.

Service problems or issues with vehicles can get quite tangled with the customer that was at Hank's Lube Shack last year, the corner garage for an LOF 7 months ago and now is now at a dealership for an LOF when they discover a leak, or a stripped thread on the drain plug or some other issue. Tracking down who did what or getting resolution can be simplified by how you manage these things IMO.

I know, from personal experience on multiple company vans, that Ford dealers will do almost anything to get out of warranty repairs. Up to & including risking a potential Ohio lemon law buyback situation!

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ $85 seems about right while they already have the vehicle in the bay and administrative/logistics for a vehicle service no matter how much more service they sell, but I for one would find it disturbing that they're messing with my brake fluid reservoir and who knows what else when I just wanted an oil change, unless they had advertised it as a some kind of comprehensive vehicle inspection, which I'd politely decline. That is always something to keep in mind, that unless you tell them not to, they're probably looking for something to up-sell.

Then you need to tell them to drain it,fill it and ship it out the door. Most shops will not perform an oil change without performing a check over of the vehicle. It can be a liability if a shop sends a car out with missing lug nuts or brakes metal to metal without advising the customer.

You'll probably get first priority for loaners and may get some assistance on goodwill* repairs.

*Dealer is authorized to obtain partial warranty reimbursement for vehicles which are just out of the factory warranty period.

...but I for one would find it disturbing that they're messing with my brake fluid reservoir and who knows what else when I just wanted an oil change...

Unless they're super busy, they're going to do their usual "inspection" and "topping off fluids" routine.

Originally Posted by ediamiam
It helps that the brake flush is a quart of new fluid. = $ 85 - $ 6.99 = happy dealer happy mechanic. + it's gravy, already in the shop/on lift

Amazing how people forget that. Not everyone is the DIY type.

Originally Posted by cb_13
It can be a liability if a shop sends a car out with missing lug nuts or brakes metal to metal without advising the customer.

Any real validity to this or is it just a scare tactic that repair shops try to claim ? In all seriousness, if I have a shop do an oil change -- and an oil change only, not touching anything else -- how can they possibly be liable for "missing lug nuts or brakes metal to metal" if they never looked at or touched ? I don't buy it.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I know, from personal experience on multiple company vans, that Ford dealers will do almost anything to get out of warranty repairs. Up to & including risking a potential Ohio lemon law buyback situation!

I ran into that with Interstate Ford in Miamisburg for recall work. I called them to see about having the door latch recall done on our Fusion and they told me "we don't have the parts yet, check back in a month or two". This was after everyone had rec'd the 'final' letter from Ford announcing that the work is ready, all dealers have been supplied parts, and so on. So I called the parts department and asked about the parts.... the ones they told me they've had for weeks for the recall.

The only issue I hit with our 2018 VW Tiguan at 13k was slight water leakage into vehicle near seatbelts.

The dealer goodwilled(Tiguan 5months old) the clean of drains which VW does not cover excessive pollen. It really was.

Of interest though is a few months back VW had a TSB dealer did to fix clogged of drains
smile.gif
(surprise, surprise although it was a crazy pollen year when they clogged).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...but I for one would find it disturbing that they're messing with my brake fluid reservoir and who knows what else when I just wanted an oil change...

Unless they're super busy, they're going to do their usual "inspection" and "topping off fluids" routine.

Originally Posted by ediamiam
It helps that the brake flush is a quart of new fluid. = $ 85 - $ 6.99 = happy dealer happy mechanic. + it's gravy, already in the shop/on lift

Amazing how people forget that. Not everyone is the DIY type.

Originally Posted by cb_13
It can be a liability if a shop sends a car out with missing lug nuts or brakes metal to metal without advising the customer.

Any real validity to this or is it just a scare tactic that repair shops try to claim ? In all seriousness, if I have a shop do an oil change -- and an oil change only, not touching anything else -- how can they possibly be liable for "missing lug nuts or brakes metal to metal" if they never looked at or touched ? I don't buy it.

If it is in writing that the customer requests to not do anything but drain and fill the oil I do not see how it could come back on the shop. I also don't know for sure that a customer would win trying to sue for overlooked issues but I've been told we were going to be sued over all kinds of stuff. I even had one customer say he was going to sue me personally for not having his Takata air bag in stock.

I know at the last dealership I worked at the service manager would only offer after warranty assistance to customers who purchased their vehicles there.

It does not take a Rocket Surgeon degree to see that you will be treated based on the relationship you have with the dealer. Whether it is transparent will vary.

While a dealer maybe contractually obligated per their franchise agreement with the automaker to take in any warranty work regardless of where bought, do not be surprised if paid non-warranty work and bought there warranty work customer to take priority.

Also, in those rare occasions where help with a "goodwill fix" for something that is outside the margins of warranty coverage, the dealership is not going to go out of their way for customers that bought elsewhere and/or does not have history of paid schedule maintenance done by said dealership.

I am sure the Outhouse internet lawyers will tell you that the dealership cannot do this or that and they have to do this or that, but the decision making is not always done in transparency and they will not be there hoofing the legal bill for you to make the dealership do otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by WhyMe
Better if you purchased the vehicle there?
I have read before that a service dept will take care of you better if you bought the car there.
Any truth to this? What's your experience ? Did you ever have a situation where the purchasing dealer service dept went above and beyond because you bought the car there?

Yes, or at least at some dealerships. Years ago, I worked at a dealership where I personally heard the owner tell us techs that "this car was not purchased here, so........"
You fill in the blank. That dealership also had the customers get free car washes after any oil change or after they had work service done to the car....IF you purchased it there.

Same. And I can't tell you how many times I heard...guy bought it here, let's see if we can take care of him. Happened all the time with warranty repairs, diagnosing a problem...IF he serviced his car there. So if you buy it there and get it serviced there? Yes they will try to help you a little bit. I'm not saying it's worth the extra cost of paying dealer maintenance prices, but it could potentially help you with a serious warranty issue down the road.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I ran into that with Interstate Ford in Miamisburg for recall work. I called them to see about having the door latch recall done on our Fusion and they told me "we don't have the parts yet, check back in a month or two". This was after everyone had rec'd the 'final' letter from Ford announcing that the work is ready, all dealers have been supplied parts, and so on. So I called the parts department and asked about the parts.... the ones they told me they've had for weeks for the recall.

I've had one dealer email me and tell me that the parts I wanted were in stock. When I made a special trip to the dealership the guy at the counter told me the parts were out of stock and that I should have called them because "Those email guys are always wrong."

In the case of lexus - yes.

Loyalty to my lexus guy gets me freebies and things like a new dash and installation on a (at that time) 10 year old vehicle, and way more off specific items ad procedures.

Everyone else - not so much.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back