2018 Grand Caravan GT 1 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought about this ex rental about this time last year, put about 12k on it since then, now at 57,500.

The good: Stow n go is amazing. This thing has storage FOR DAYS! No one told me the middle row could slide forward and backward, which was mind blowing to me. Don't even get me started on the truly gigantic center console.

Love the Pentastar engine. Plenty of power always on tap. The 62TE trans shifts nicely and quickly if you leave the "eco" mode button off. Just runs nice and smooth. Exhaust has a nice sound to it in the cabin as well.

Feels nice and stable at 75-80mph on the highway.

All the controls are logically laid out, and easily within reach of both the driver and passenger. Love love love the heated steering wheel.

Been averaging 20-25mpg in it.

The bad: It's kind of loud in the cabin when flying down the highway, but I'm used to how quiet the 300 is. I feel like I have to crank the radio up louder to overcome it. At lower speeds it's not noticeable.

Has the same stereo my 2011 Durango had, the 9 speaker amplified system with the old 6.5" Uconnect... and it has some of the same exact quirks. All the inputs have different levels of sound quality. FM sounds okay, on SiriusXM each and every channel has a different level of quality, or lack thereof. Getting Bluetooth streaming to work is a lesson in patience. At least Bluetooth quality is decent in this, it was truly horrendous in my Durango.

I drive in a more... spirited manner. Van doesn't like that, though I can't really knock it because that's not it's intended purpose
lol.gif

I wish it had a little more leg room, but I'm 6'2" or 6'3" and built like a line backer.

Glad you are liking your GT. My SXT has been pretty good. I've owned it for 4 1/2 years. Only issue I've had was a bad gas cap and the spring to the oil filter cap came loose. I'll need to change that for my next oil change.

Yes, stow and go is simply the best, provided adults don't have to sit in the second raw for extended periods of time. For families with child seats, like mine, there is nothing else on the market that can beat this clever system.

I hear the new Pacifica is quieter and more sporty feeling, but it also costs more.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I drive in a more... spirited manner. Van doesn't like that, though I can't really knock it because that's not it's intended purpose
lol.gif

Can you explain?
My experience is an '08, so other generation, but for the 2 days I had it, driving (loaded with boxes) 'burb to Downtown CHI and back, it had no problem when you step on it.
I was actually surprised and it had a nice grrrrr.
My experience seeing the neighbors minivans, they had the stock OEM tires, so they always had problems in snow or rain...
Re: legroom. It happened to me in my Mazda5. Most it was the switch back and forth between wife and my seat setting. Find the one you like and memorize what and where.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Skippy722
lol.gif

Can you explain?
My experience is an '08, so other generation, but for the 2 days I had it, driving (loaded with boxes) 'burb to Downtown CHI and back, it had no problem when you step on it.
I was actually surprised and it had a nice grrrrr.
My experience seeing the neighbors minivans, they had the stock OEM tires, so they always had problems in snow or rain...
Re: legroom. It happened to me in my Mazda5. Most it was the switch back and forth between wife and my seat setting. Find the one you like and memorize what and where.

I like going "fast" around corners, van has quite a bit of body roll with relatively skinny tires with a taller sidewall, 225 65r17. Keep in mind I daily the 300, which is on 245 45r20's and closer to the ground. Like the curves with 45mph advisory speeds that I can do at 60 in my 300 and barely feel it induce quite a bit of body roll in the van.

As for the seat, all the way back and lean it back a bit, my wife can't reach the pedals after I drive!

Also, obligatory picture of them lol

[Linked Image]

Adjust the pedals up for the wife. I have a '14 and it is plenty powerful. I've had to change the oil pressure sender and I capped off and deleted, for now, the rear A.C. because the evaporator sprung a leak. On the freeway @80mph with 4 passengers, luggage and A.C. on it returns 23-27 mpg. In town a relatively poor 14-17 mpg. Not a better vehicle for vacationing or hauling stuff and at a relative bargain price . I have the 30th anniversary edition so it has the blackout interior which I like. I could have had the oil sender fixed under warranty but i don't let those clowns touch my vehicles unless I have to.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Adjust the pedals up for the wife. I have a '14 and it is plenty powerful. I've had to change the oil pressure sender and I capped off and deleted, for now, the rear A.C. because the evaporator sprung a leak. On the freeway @80mph with 4 passengers, luggage and A.C. on it returns 23-27 mpg. In town a relatively poor 14-17 mpg. Not a better vehicle for vacationing or hauling stuff and at a relative bargain price . I have the 30th anniversary edition so it has the blackout interior which I like. I could have had the oil sender fixed under warranty but i don't let those clowns touch my vehicles unless I have to.

Love the black leather with red stitching, but we don't have adjustable pedals. She just puts the seat up and she finds that perfect, I only drive it if we're going on a drive longer than ~15 minutes, I start getting car sick after that point otherwise.

I also don't like taking it in for anything, not that we've had to though *knock on wood* I do my own oil changes because I know the filter housings are known to crack and leak. Nice having cars that take identical filters and oil! It is CPO, so the drivetrain is covered to 100k, which is nice should anything I can't handle pop up.

This reminded me of my college roommates mom. She bought a new Caravan, and went to leave when the transmission fell out. Literally, no exaggeration, fell out and onto the driveway, lol! I'm glad yours is doing considerably better.

Originally Posted by Ws6
This reminded me of my college roommates mom. She bought a new Caravan, and went to leave when the transmission fell out. Literally, no exaggeration, fell out and onto the driveway, lol! I'm glad yours is doing considerably better.

Cool story, bro.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Ws6

Cool story, bro.

Lol, not for her.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I capped off and deleted, for now, the rear A.C. because the evaporator sprung a leak.

Wow on a 2014 it already leaked? I bought my 2015 with Front AC only. My 1998 Sienna had a rear leak and I tried to fix it with new rear lines and it failed within 2 years. I capped off the rear lines on that as well, but when I bought the 2015 from the Dealer, I liked the fact that it had front AC only. It works fine on a hot day once I open the windows to get the hot air out and let the AC run for 5 mins.

Good review and I agree with your plus and minuses, other than we had the basic head unit in ours.

Our 2013 Grand Caravan SE model was my favorite of all the make/model minivans we owned over the years. My bride always thought it was loud and uncomfortable for her, but for what ever reason that didn't bother her in the 2007 Honda Odyssey.

Our 2016 Nissan Quest was the most silent and floaty MV we owned.

I agree with your assessment. I have had my 18 Grand Caravan SE for a year and a half. I find it corners good for a van and easy to over drive the tires. One thing about the transmission is it's self learning. I ran with eco mode and without with eco mode winning in my book. I drive mostly 45 and under so without eco mode lots of shifts with higher rpms so less fuel mileage. I am sitting at 20.5 mpg average over the 11k I have put on it. I have to say the most versatile vehicle I have owned. Haul siding one day then haul 7 people the next all total takes less than a couple of minutes to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back