Anxiously awaiting analysis report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently found I was about 10-12oz or so low on coolant. Searched all over but could not find a leak. I began to think my 03 suburban was plagued by the dreaded cracked head which apparently leaks into an oil passage.?.

So I ordered a Blackstone kit with TBN confident they can let me know if I have glycol contamination in my oil.
The suspense was/is killin me, (currently waiting for the postman to deliver my sample to Blackstone) so I rented a coolant pressure tester. Took a while at 16lbs, but a small leak finally revealed itself on the DS radiator tank, drip,,,,,drip,,,,drip. Wohoo, I thought.

Then, OCD grabbed my mind and took me right down a rabbit hole, what if the radiator tank trans cooler was leaking too!?! So I ordered the Acustrip ATF Glycol test strips. (Coolest thing really) trans fluid does not appear to have glycol contamination according to the test strip reading. Wohoo,,, again.

So now, I'm awaiting the Blackstone results. Really hoping no contamination of oil.

Just had to share this with somebody who appreciates this sorta stuff.

Friends give me the deer in the headlight look
crazy2.gif

I'll keep that in mind. Great price!

I sent the Blackstone sample in their bottle. USPS said no problems when I dropped it off last Tuesday. However, it missed it's expected delivey of Friday. Tracking said it was on time, however, Saturday, USPS site still said on time Friday before 8PM delivery.
Now tracking just says DELAYED.

Maybe I should have put in a small box and paid for shipping myself.

Only a small percentage of 706 Castech casting heads were affected, I haven't seen a cracked one in a LONG time.

Your oil will have a brown tint to it if the castings were leaking!

Originally Posted by Cmobile
I'll keep that in mind. Great price!

I sent the Blackstone sample in their bottle. USPS said no problems when I dropped it off last Tuesday. However, it missed it's expected delivey of Friday. Tracking said it was on time, however, Saturday, USPS site still said on time Friday before 8PM delivery.
Now tracking just says DELAYED.

Maybe I should have put in a small box and paid for shipping myself.

I have found that mailing a sample to any company that handles UOA in the round container they provide delays it several weeks if not a month. It must sit on the postmasters desk while he thinks about how to cancel the postage stamps with a flat cancel rubber stamp. Even the tracking was never accurate.

I still do it if the UOA is for oil that has been changed and the UOA is for verification. But if I am waiting on UOA results for some reason then always put their container in a box or envelope.

Last edited:
Previous owner had water pump/T stat replaced, flush, head gasket, throttle body, intake gaskets, MAF, and a bunch of other things to the tune of $4k. I"m blessed to have the reciepts.
That was done Demenber of 2017.
The mileage was148k. Now at 163k. I bought it at 154k.
I didnt see any leaks at or near the water pump.
I hope the radiator leak I found was the only leak.

Update:
Got the radiator changed, replaced all hoses and plastic GM heater core fittings, coolant temp sensor and bled system. All seems good so far.

The glycol test strips indicating no coolant in the transmission, AND the Blackstone oil analasys I got back today stating no coolant in the engine oil is a huge relief.

I'm a self proclaimed member of the Junky Car Club of America (Google it), so I'm glad to not have to put a lot of money into this vehicle or purchase a newer one. (No pmts for me, thanks)

Here are the UOA

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back