Used (2010) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

Just curious, with TVs being a essentially disposable product now, is there a used market for this? I am going to be going to a 50" soon, I absolutely love my Toshiba products....I've never had 1 issue with multiple TVs and Laptops.

This has the factory remote (which seems to be missing in some listings).

No idea what a fair price would be on CL, or if there would be interested in it. I have a feeling a pawn shop would throw out a ridiculous offer.

Is it worth, say 60-75 dollars. Condition - very good.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If it's so good...keep it as a spare, at least until you're sure the new one is okay. Someone who has "never had 1 issue" is too lucky where electronics are concerned. You never know when your luck will change.

I think 40" is semi-obsolete. Back in the 2010s flat screens were a lot more expensive then they are now, even in Canada you can get 50-60" for less than $1000. I think the refresh rate or something increased during the mid 2010s because modern TVs seem to look a lot smoother, making one that old less desirable.

Around the time that was released, that was the standard size that everyone had. I remember back in 2008 my buddy moved out and got a 42" Sony LCD and it was over $1000 IIRC. My dad got a 50" LG Plasma at that time on sale and it was around the same price.

They still make good computer monitors, my monitor right now is a 40" Sony LCD from 2013 or so.

Bedroom/basement/kitchen? If no need to keep, Id price it at 100$ and see what gives.

Last edited:
Sounds good.... thanks. Not a money issue, just no need in my living situation for a 2nd tv....

I'm not going to rush anything, just getting some ideas on options.

$50 and Toshiba doesn't make TVs any more, they just sell their name to be glued on cheap junk.

Originally Posted by dishdude
$50 and Toshiba doesn't make TVs any more, they just sell their name to be glued on cheap junk.

Yes, you are right on the pricing, after looking. Toshiba slaps their name on current TVs since 2015 (easily found), this era was still genuine Toshiba.

Joining the growing list of Japanese TV manufacturers that have found the U.S. market too competitive, Toshiba pulled the plug on its U.S. TV business in 2015, licensing its brand to Taiwanese manufacturer Compal. Then, in November 2017, Chinese TV manufacturer Hisense, which also licenses the Sharp brand in the U.S., purchased the Toshiba TV business.

Last edited:
$50 OBO, and I'd take $20 if someone offered, unless there is any chance you might need it.

It's not the size that devalues it as much as the age. There are many people that don't need a 50"+ TV in smaller rooms, but that's older than the expected lifespan of an LCD TV, including progressive CCFL tube backlighting degradation - no escaping that, and it is unlikely anyone would bother to do that kind of repair, while replacing a bad capacitor or two, "maybe".

$40 if you are interested in getting bites.

Your price if you are willing to deliver it.

Make sure your ad has a picture of it working as jerks are known to give away TV's or sell for $20 that are broken because they charge to recycle them.

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.
cheers3.gif

I would donate it. Unless you really need the cash, selling something like this wouldn't be worth the hassle, especially if the new owner has issues very soon after purchase and bugs you for info or their money back.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
A new 40" TV is as low as $180. Can't imagine a 10 year old one is worth much.

Originally Posted by Rand
42" 4k tv at sams for $199

Might be worth 40 on craigslist

Prices like those for brand new TVs (save the comments on the "quality" of them) are why no one should expect much for a 10-year old (used) TV. Ask $30-40 and if someone offers $20-30, take it. I don't think there will be many bites though.... If someone says they can come look at it, do not change your plans to accommodate them. Odds are far, far better that they'll be a no-show and no courtesy to tell you they can't come when they thought.

I see TVs at the curb almost every Monday morning in our neighborhood. I'm sure some are broken or dead but I'll bet plenty of them work just fine but the person got a new one and has no interest in the hassle of selling it or has no other use for it.

I would agree with the $40-50 price range depending on what others are selling.

I bought a used 65 Sharp LED (manufactured in 2008) back in November for $200. Guy was asking $250. Tv was in excellent condition. This is up in Canada so the cheapest 65 inch are the TCL from Costco are around $600-650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back