2017 Toyota Tacoma maintenance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

My daughters boyfriend has a 2017 Toyota Tacoma with 60 K. He went to get the vehicle checked at the local Toyota dealer and they recommended the following as the vehicle was running a bit rough.

1. Cabin air filter ($56)
2. Air filter ($28)
3. AC refresher ($80) - have no idea what this is.
4. Induction system cleaning ($140) - have no idea what this is.
5. Fuel injection cleaning ($100)

Seems rather expensive as most can be done in my driveway including using some good fuel system cleaner.

Ideas,comments?

Then do it in your driveway.Since you said most, what would be left?

Just a money grab.

Check the engine air filter and cabin air filter, and buy new ones from walmart or wherever if dirty. The AC doesn't need anything unless it's not working right, in which case it should still be under warranty.

Induction cleaning and fuel system cleaning should really just be called wallet siphoning. Buy top tier gas and the D4S system will keep things clean.

IIRC the 2GR FKS calls for a 60k replacement interval on the spark plugs. Something they apparently didn't mention.

Tell him to find another Toyota dealer.

Last edited:
Googled AC refresher, it's stuff to clean evaporator and vents. Kit 00289ACRKT is about 35 bucks. Some dealers had it for quite a bit less.

Money grab.
Air filters need changing every 30,000 miles. Take a look. It's at 60,000 miles so, it probably needs an air filter.
Cabin air filters need changing every 20,000 miles. This won't affect the engine's performance.
At 60,000 miles, it probably needs a set of spark plugs.
If the A/C is functioning properly, it doesn't need any refrigerant.
Pour a bottle of Chevron Techron in the fuel tank and fill with 93 octane and run it. Do that after changing the plugs.

I buy the air filters from Aisin on ebay bout 1/3 less than the low Toyota price, same filters.

Originally Posted by dblshock
I buy the air filters from Aisin on ebay bout 1/3 less than the low Toyota price, same filters.

Aisin air filters?? Can you provide a link?

That stuff can be done in the driveway; I wonder if the throttle body needs a cleaning and/or new plugs. "Running rough"? Like poor idle, poor mpg or poor power?

Wow! Are there any other Toyota dealers near by? You are correct in you being able to do this in your driveway.

If the plugs are supposed to be replaced at 60K per owner's manual, I would do that.

I would also clean the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor. Make sure you use the appropriate cleaner as the MAF requires a special cleaner just for MAF's. YouTube it.

Start using a "top tier" gasoline and a few tanks of that will clean up the fuel system. If anxious, you could use a bottle of Techron or something similar. I would use the cleaner
before I changed the plugs. That's just me.

I only use Toyota OEM filters and plugs from a dealer. There are too many fakes. If I were to go online for purchase, I'd make sure they were coming from a Toyota/Lexus dealer.
Like on eBay, there is a Toyota dealer in Winston Salem NC, Modern Toyota and I know they are legit.

You can cause yourself problems if you get a cabin air filter that is more restrictive than the OEM. It "could" inhibit air flow circulation.

Is the Taco showing any codes?

Last edited:
At 60,000 miles it should be fine. The dealer is trying to get you to do some maintenance items. They figure when you come in that you are prepared to spend between $200-$500 dollars. No problem in asking for the sale. I would get you to rotate, oil change and alignment while you were there.

The spark plugs will be due soon. If they are iridium change about 100,000, regular plugs about 80,000. Tell him to drive the truck and enjoy it.

Three questions?

What are the stock plugs from the factory?

How long does it take to change the plugs? Is it a pain in the .....

What is the best gas tank additive currently available to clean the fuel system including the injectors?

They should be either Denso or NGK. These trucks are fairly easy to work on when you need to do maintenance. I use Iridium in my vehicles when I change it out either NGK or Denso. I don't believe you would have an issue with the fuel system. I would just keep using fuel from the stations that go through it quick such as Racetrak, Wawa, etc. If you are in Clermont that shouldn't be a problem. Fuel additives other than Stabil for storing the fuel are really not needed, especially if the vehicle is run consistently.

Originally Posted by 007
What are the stock plugs from the factory?

How long does it take to change the plugs? Is it a pain in the .....

What is the best gas tank additive currently available to clean the fuel system including the injectors?

Denso doesn't list any plugs for either the 4-cyl or 6-cylinder engine in Tacomas. NGK has a plug and calls it "OEM equivalent design", meaning they don't supply the OEM plugs (but you can 100% safe using NGK if you want). Odd that one or the other isn't the OEM supplier (or this is inaccurate info).

Need to know which engine it has. I'm sure it's super easy on the 4-cylinder and easy on the 6- cylinder. Just checked a video on the V6 and there's a crapload of stuff in the way.

No one can tell you which fuel additive is "best". They will give you their opinion, based on what they've used. Just go to Walmart or an auto parts store and get Techron or something.

Engine is the 3.5 V6. A video I saw on the plug replacement shows alot of crap to be removed to get to the plugs.

Toyota told me their factory plugs are Denso but they have a Toyota part number.

As far as the fuel system cleaner I was only looking for opinions as to what others have used that works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back