2019 Toyota Highlander LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just bought my wife a new 2019 Highlander LE. As we do not like all the new bells and whistles in new vehicles we jumped on the 19 as the 2020 did not impress the misses. We also opted for the base vehicle with the addition of the V6 and some minor extras. Wife loves this vehicle almost as much as she liked her 2008. We are Toyota people and always appreciated the quality of these vehicles, this one being no exception. So far, so good! It was met home by its siblings, a 2017, 2019 Tacoma and 2019 Rav 4. Anyone else have the 2019 Highlander?

Originally Posted by 007
Just bought my wife a new 2019 Highlander LE. As we do not like all the new bells and whistles in new vehicles we jumped on the 19 as the 2020 did not impress the misses. We also opted for the base vehicle with the addition of the V6 and some minor extras. Wife loves this vehicle almost as much as she liked her 2008. We are Toyota people and always appreciated the quality of these vehicles, this one being no exception. So far, so good! It was met home by its siblings, a 2017, 2019 Tacoma and 2019 Rav 4. Anyone else have the 2019 Highlander?

Pay attention on transmission. If you start having doubts whether it is working properly, go to dealership. That transmission is hit and miss in HL, and though for 2019 they supposed to resolve issues, there are still complaints.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 007

Pay attention on transmission. If you start having doubts whether it is working properly, go to dealership. That transmission is hit and miss in HL, and though for 2019 they supposed to resolve issues, there are still complaints.

Is that one of those Transmission you don't have a Dipstick to check the ATF?

I have a 2017 Tacoma that I bought new in 18. Transmission drives me nuts! Was told the one in the Highlander was different. Is it?

Got a 2019 SE in October. Brake pedal seems to have a lot of travel and climate control seems too hot. Need to get those checked out, otherwise no complaints.

Originally Posted by 007
I have a 2017 Tacoma that I bought new in 18. Transmission drives me nuts! Was told the one in the Highlander was different. Is it?

I can't recall the year of the one StevieC on here had briefly, but he couldn't handle the transmission programming and divested himself of it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 007

I can't recall the year of the one StevieC on here had briefly, but he couldn't handle the transmission programming and divested himself of it.

I think his was 2018 HL.

Originally Posted by 007

I think his was 2018 HL.

Yup, just found the thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...59838/all/my-2018-highlander-limited-awd

And why he got rid of it:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-ff-changed-in-the-new-dodge#Post4894663

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by 007

That does not have anything to do with these problems. Older 6 speed that I have in Sienna also does not have dipstick.
2017-2018 had some serious issues with AWD application. Apparently they fixed it for 2019.
Programming on other hand is not for everyone as it is maximizing MPG.

Originally Posted by 007

I think his was 2018 HL.

Yup, just found the thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...59838/all/my-2018-highlander-limited-awd

Yep, I purposely went with 2015 Sienna as I did not want AWD+8 speed in it.
I think there is another longer thread.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I ran the Highlander through some situations good and bad to see if the trans acted like my Tacoma and it came out looking fine. I guess time will tell! On that note I still have hope for my Tacoma because in my opinion it is better than anything else out there all things being equal. I can only hope!!!!!!!!

The Tacomas and other longitudinal engine trucks and SUVs use Aisin A series automatics, which is a completely different transmission than what is used in Highlanders, Siennas, and all the other transverse engine applications.
In transverse engine applications the 6-speed and 8-speed automatics are both members of the same Aisin U series transmission family being used since 1999 as a 4-speed. There isn't anything mechanically wrong with the U series transmissions, save for some early problems with the 8-speed in AWD V/6 applications traced to a defectively manufactured internal component identified and fixed by december 2018. All of the other complaints are shifting related and can be traced to the software/programming that Toyota has developed. Shifting complaints go all the way back to the first 5-speed automatic U series in 2002 where shifting and all the other transmission functions (as well as drive-by-wire throttle control) were entirely taken over by the computer, and it took until 2005 for Toyota to satisfactorily fix the software on the 5-speeds. It has been mentioned (but not confirmed by Toyota) that the shifting problems are related to Toyota's programming trying to squeeze the last little bit of fuel mileage out of the vehicles. I tend to agree with this thinking because the other auto manufacturers that are using this same transmission are not experiencing the same shifting complaints. The Aisin A series transmissions are also entirely computer controlled and also subject to the same shifting problems due to this kind of programming.
Some people are claiming that the shifting problems are being caused by Toyota's programming the transmission to skip up tp 3 gears on upshifts. To this I say... what's the point in having all of those speeds if they are not all being used? IMO they would have been better off just sticking with the less complicated 5 or 6 speed transmissions. These 8, 9, and now even 10 and 11 speed automatics offer nothing more than bragging rights as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by 007

Are there any left today that have a dipstick? I think 62TE has a "port" that is sealed and can be used for the purpose, but it doesn't ship with a dipstick.

Originally Posted by wag123

Some people are claiming that the shifting problems are being caused by Toyota's programming the transmission to skip up tp 3 gears on upshifts. To this I say... what's the point in having all of those speeds if they are not all being used? IMO they would have been better off just sticking with the less complicated 5 or 6 speed transmissions. These 8, 9, and now even 10 and 11 speed automatics offer nothing more than bragging rights as far as I am concerned.

Fair question. Reason is, downshifts. Instead of a "big" jump in rpm when a slight hill is encountered, a "small" bump in rpm can be obtained. Better FE (perhaps) but probably better NVH (less rpm, less motor noise).

Although I do tend to agree that it's about bragging rights and that any real benefit is getting into the noise floor...

I'm not sure how complicated they are; the real question I'd have is, just how expensive are they to rebuild or replace? Make enough of a particular model and they should be cheap to swap in and out.

Originally Posted by supton

Fair question. Reason is, downshifts. Instead of a "big" jump in rpm when a slight hill is encountered, a "small" bump in rpm can be obtained. Better FE (perhaps) but probably better NVH (less rpm, less motor noise).
Maybe the other manufacturers program their 8-10 speed transmissions to act this way, but not Toyota. Besides the upshifts skipping gears, they have the transmission shifting programed in such a way that getting the transmission to downshift at all is also problematic. A little added throttle to accelerate... no downshift (not even 1 gear), a little more throttle... still no downshift, even more throttle... still no downshift, a LOT more throttle... THEN it will downshift, but not 1 or 2 gears, more like 3 or 4 gears with a lurch and a LOT of engine noise. I am not a fan of the way that they are programming the transmission shifting now days, it is irritating, even dangerous if you are trying to change lanes into faster traffic. It isn't just Toyota owners who are complaining about this either, Ford owners are complaining about their 10 speed's shifting.

Originally Posted by supton

Maybe the other manufacturers program their 8-10 speed transmissions to act this way, but not Toyota. Besides the upshifts skipping gears, they have the transmission shifting programed in such a way that getting the transmission to downshift at all is also problematic. A little added throttle to accelerate... no downshift (not even 1 gear), a little more throttle... still no downshift, even more throttle... still no downshift, a LOT more throttle... THEN it will downshift, but not 1 or 2 gears, more like 3 or 4 gears with a lurch and a LOT of engine noise. I am not a fan of the way that they are programming the transmission shifting now days, it is irritating, even dangerous if you are trying to change lanes into faster traffic. It isn't just Toyota owners who are complaining about this either, Ford owners are complaining about their 10 speed's shifting.

Programming does seem to up commonly here. FWIW I still often control shifting in my autos, one is 6AT and one is 4AT, I guess I still wouldn't be happy with the newer stuff. I very often will just click down a gear (or 3) if I know I want it to do that (passing, driving up a hill, whatever).

I've tried to tell my wife how to manually lock out gears in my truck. She refuses to do so. Her belief is, if we paid for an automatic transmission, then it should do its job--automatically. And when it doesn't she automatically complains about it.
smile.gif
As a result, she rarely drives my vehicles... not sure but that might compensate for me being stuck with automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back