Purolator PureOne Failure! 11k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolator PureOne from my brothers 3.6L Pentastar had a tear in it after 11k miles. UOA is pending, he runs Castrol GTX HM. The previous OFCI was 10.5k and the filter looked great, so I was surprised to see the failure here. I'll link the last filter from the previous OFCI. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rolator-pureone-10-560-miles#Post5179177

We're hoping the UOA will give some insight into how long it ran like this by comparing to the previous UOA's. I suggested he just run a cheaper filter and change it halfway through the OCI, does that sound good to you BITOG?

20200130_125037.jpg

20200130_125042.jpg

20200130_125052.jpg

20200130_125056.jpg

Originally Posted by spasm3
I would put a fram ultra on it. Or a Wix.

I'll second that, that's what I use for my 3.6L Wrangler. They've held up great.

I don't know why people are still using these. Fram Ultra cartridges have their problems also. Why not use OEM? Another solid choice for cartridges is Mahle or Mann.

10K-11K miles? That's amazing life out of one of those. I never go past the 3000-4000 mi with regular Purolators. I wouldn't run a cheap filter to 5K miles either. Why not just put a Fram ultra guard (or equivalent) on there for $9 and go 10K-12K miles with it?

Originally Posted by gregk24
I don't know why people are still using these. Fram Ultra cartridges have their problems also. Why not use OEM? Another solid choice for cartridges is Mahle or Mann.

I think OEM is Purolator. People have been saying good things about the Wix XP/NAPA Platinums, I wouldn't hesitate to use them, Ultras seem to sometimes be hit or miss on cartridge applications.

I'm going to bet the UOA probably won't give you any insight; it's been discussed at least once a week here that UOAs are NOT the proper tool to assess wear. Besides, it's like your brother is asking for problems: Purolator clearly states the filter is good to 10,000 miles. The last one was good at 10.5k and he got lucky; this time you're shocked at a failure at an even further distance? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but... did that extra 1k miles really save your brother much money compared to risking his engine?

[Linked Image]

^^^^haha on the filter in a bag. I once went to Walmart to buy a filter years ago. I opened the box before I checked out and someone had placed a SuperTech filter in the mobil1 filter box. Obviously they put the Mobil1 filter in the SuperTech box and paid the SuperTech price.

Originally Posted by gregk24

Mopar filters are Purolator

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'm going to bet the UOA probably won't give you any insight......
I agree. Been a fair number of standard UOAs done/posted with filters that had tears found on dissection, showed nothing remarkable. That being the case, I think any attempt at extrapolation to when tear may have occurred, highly subjective. And that if any significant difference noted at all.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I think any attempt at extrapolation to when tear may have occurred, highly subjective. And that if any significant difference noted at all.

Probably be the best looking UOA yet, since all the particulate likely settled out in the engine when it was shut off the last time, and not in the sump!

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
^^^^haha on the filter in a bag. I once went to Walmart to buy a filter years ago. I opened the box before I checked out and someone had placed a SuperTech filter in the mobil1 filter box. Obviously they put the Mobil1 filter in the SuperTech box and paid the SuperTech price.

Walmart policy has changed around here. For the past 2-3 years, the cashier always opens the filter box, to match the outer name & number with the inner name & number. So repackaging the cheap filter with an expensive one, doesn't fly anymore here.

Better off to use a quality filter, than to get back under the vehicle to change the filter at the halfway point of the OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
I would put a fram ultra on it. Or a Wix.

I had a torn FU in my BMW.

I think this is mostly from tightening the filter. I have to wonder if the tear occurs at the tightening stage, or perhaps only when unscrewed...

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Walmart policy has changed around here. For the past 2-3 years, the cashier always opens the filter box, to match the outer name & number with the inner name & number. So repackaging the cheap filter with an expensive one, doesn't fly anymore here.

Better off to use a quality filter, than to get back under the vehicle to change the filter at the halfway point of the OCI.

How exactly does that work when more and more checkouts are of the DIY variety?

Alright, I'll suggest a Fram Ultra or Napa Platinum for his next change, and do the OCI at 10k as to not push the Purolator he has in there currently. I suppose we won't see much difference in the UOA, but I'll post it when it comes in regardless.

I do love that he does extended OCIs, this is all very interesting. I do mine at 5k regardless of what lube/filter combo I used and don't get UOAs, but I drive my cars for as long as possible and he trades them in after he gets to around 130k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back