Start up noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

Start up noise that quickly goes away due to the oil filter? .
2019 Mitsubishi Mirage . Currently 9500 miles . Dealer used Pennzoil synthetic and it's hard to see but it looks like a Pennzoil filter . Not sure if it was The platinum or ultra platinum . 0w20 .
Didn't notice it in warmer weather .
Going to start doing my own oil changes . Considering Wix XP , Purolator Boss , Motorcraft oil filters . 0W20
Oils I'm considering is Quaker State Ultimate , Pennzoil Ultra Platinum , Havoline DS .
Thanks

If the noise is approximately 2 seconds and happens primarily at cold start I would suspect a variable valve timing actuator. If it continues get it fixed while under warranty. It can stretch a timing chain over time. This problem is very common with quite a few manufacturers, most of which are Japanese companies.

The 4 cylinder Mitsubishi's I've worked on had vertically mounted filters. That shouldn't have anything to do with startup noise.

The Mirage is a 3 banger and the filter is horizontal. A silicone ADBV is essential. I've had good luck with just an orange Fram, but any of the 3 you listed should be fine.

No way to know , no gauge . thinking about getting the autool readout thing. Bought new.
Thanks

gj
I've never seen a stand-alone Mitsubishi Dealership. What other vehicle brands are part of this dealership?
I've also never met a Pennzoil oil filter that wore a silicone ADBV. Do your own oil changes and make sure the oil filter wears a red silicone ADBV.

Curious! What did the dealer charge you for the Pennzoil Synthetic Oil Change?

2 -3 seconds racket = normal and fine.

This is the time it takes for oil pressure to build.

ADBV do not maintain oil pressure!

My wifes crostrek sounds like the TC is sawing through the front cover for a minute - at least.

You want a smoother runnning engine with less racket? Drain out 1/2 qt and replace with GTX Magnetec 5W30.

Works wonders - like a magic elixir - even on super premium european real synthetic oils

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Drain out 1/2 qt and replace with GTX Magnetec 5W30. Works wonders - like a magic elixir - even on super premium european real synthetic oils

We agree to disagree.
3 seconds racket not normal
ADBV choices do racket-matter

Originally Posted by chainblu
The Mirage is a 3 banger and the filter is horizontal. A silicone ADBV is essential. I've had good luck with just an orange Fram, but any of the 3 you listed should be fine.

Thanks for the info, sincerely. My Mitsubishi knowledge is limited.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Drain out 1/2 qt and replace with GTX Magnetec 5W30. Works wonders - like a magic elixir - even on super premium european real synthetic oils

We agree to disagree.

So ever single one of my chain cars over the past 15 years was defective?

Not Buying it. A Lifetime of experience says otherwise

But Filter choice and Oil choice can make a big difference in engine startup and operation - I DO agree

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
The 4 cylinder Mitsubishi's I've worked on had vertically mounted filters. That shouldn't have anything to do with startup noise.

This is a myth. The engine galleries & hydraulic systems can drain back through the filter no matter which way it's facing. The only difference is whether the filter itself also drains.

My GTO has a vertical filter mounted on the bottom alongside the oil pan. It will clatter if the ADBV isn't working.

We agree to disagree.

On some engines it can be considered "normal", especially in cooler weather. It can take a few seconds to charge the tensioners. This is the case with my Kia and nearly 170k miles later I've still got the same OE T/C (knock on wood)... and the same start-up ruckus for a few seconds. I'll admit I was skeptical of Kia's explanation and "guarantee" it wouldn't adversely effect the t/c life but I gotta say, thus far they've been right. Like Arco.. the proof is in the pudding....

Last edited:
Tensioner noise on his Mitsubishi? Wonder if there's histories on it making noise cold, but not warm.

As soon as the OP mentioned jobber-like Pennzoil oil filter, I put the blame on it. That's the first place I'd look to see if a better filter quiets those cold startups.

Tensioner noise on his Mitsubishi? Wonder if there's histories on it making noise cold, but not warm.

As soon as the OP mentioned jobber-like Pennzoil oil filter, I put the blame on it. That's the first place I'd look to see if a better filter quiets those cold startups.

Possible.. you can never go wrong with an OE filter. I've got about a dozen or so aftermarkets, plus a couple OE's (just because), that I know work just fine and that's what I stick with for the most part. So I'm never without the "right" filter.

OP: I noticed in my 09 Camry that using a 5w20 and a quality filter with silicone ADBV; after sitting say 5 or more days I didnt have start up noise at all. Might be the thinner oil, but I'm not certain
smile.gif

First oil change was free. I think they charge right at $50 for a synthetic change .
I thought the oil changes would be free for life .
Must of misunderstood . State inspections are free at least .
Just got home from Advance Auto . Purchased 5 quarts of Castrol Edge 0W20 and Boss filter . See what that does .
Thanks .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back