06 Acura TSX, 0-40WT Castrol Valvetrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally adjusted my valves, 135K miles. Exhaust Valves were out of spec at about .009 in. Spec is .010 to .012 in. The Exhaust Valves tighten over time on the K-Series so keep on top of the Adjustment interval. If you wait to long it can distroy your camshaft. The thick oil that I have always used in this engine is doing a fantastic job. Just look at the pictures.

IMG_20200201_115820799.jpg

IMG_20200201_115834178.jpg

IMG_20200201_115855236.jpg

IMG_20200201_115909020.jpg

IMG_20200201_115808765.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I remember the Castrol haters years back would say it couldn't keep an engine clean. That's clearly not the case here.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Nice, I remember the Castrol haters years back would say it couldn't keep an engine clean. That's clearly not the case here.

If that ain't the truth I don't know what is
grin2.gif

I'd leave the thick oil argument out of your clean engine results.
It's a great engine and I have 281k on mine. Same results and I use 0w20 for the most part.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by demarpaint

If that ain't the truth I don't know what is
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
It's a great engine and I have 281k on mine. Same results and I use 0w20 for the most part.

It's pretty much been shown that the engine type is more the root cause of terrible under-cover pics than the oil, if neglect is removed from the equation. Meaning, the Honda K engines will generally always look like this regardless of the oil used, and the VW/Audi 1.8s will always look horrible, regardless of the oil used. All of the Mazda MZR/Ford Duratecs have been spotless as well, at this mileage and more.

Thanks for pics, OP.

Looks good OP
smile.gif
. Do you do 4-5ocis or....?

Thanks for pics
smile.gif

I change the oil once a year or when the Minder hits 30%. If I let the Minder go down to 0% it is in the 4500-5000 mile range. I do not drive it much, I like driving the old Accord because the TSX does not have a single ding! owned it since 2008 with 30K on it. The Engine is a jewel and one of the last non-fuel economy tuned true V-TEC. V-Tec on both the Intake and Exhaust. Aluminum Intake manifold, Catalyst under the car, not bolted to the Exhaust port. The TSX also has the Highest Lift Cams of all the K-Series.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch

It's pretty much been shown that the engine type is more the root cause of terrible under-cover pics than the oil, if neglect is removed from the equation. Meaning, the Honda K engines will generally always look like this regardless of the oil used, and the VW/Audi 1.8s will always look horrible, regardless of the oil used. All of the Mazda MZR/Ford Duratecs have been spotless as well, at this mileage and more.

Thanks for pics, OP.

Not mine.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Did the the 0W40 make it feel sluggish at all?

I am not sure, started out with 0W30 GC and shifted to 0W40 when the GC was phased out. I can say that I have a set of Forged 17in Rays Wheels that I bought back in 2009 that weigh 690 Kilo Grams each and when I put the Stock Wheels back on the car it feels sluggish. Amazing the difference that un-sprung weight makes. As far as the thick oil debate goes this Engine was never switched down to the 20wt oils. 5W30 is stamped on the oil fill cap. I have seen pictures of galled camshafts on Accords with the K-24 and the suspicion is that using thin oil with long drain intervals is causing the wear. I am glad I have always used the thicker oil. I also have not had any problems with vtec solenoid leaks or actuation. The actuation process uses alot of small oil passages that can become clogged up if oil changes are not performed regularily.

Last edited:
Zmelli: do you have any pics of this car? Thank You

Just a quick shot.

IMG_20200203_101847874.jpg

IMG_20200203_101837085.jpg

IMG_20200203_101810362.jpg

IMG_20200203_101745312_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back