2017 Honda CR-V, Castrol Magnatec 0w-20, 3450 mi OCI, 1.5 liter T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel dilution continues. 15,753 on odo.

Sample taken Dec 14, 2018...almost 6 weeks for the container to be delivered to Blackstone. Anywho...plan is to change oil on Monday. Gonna run Magnatec this time as well then draw sample in May.

If only Honda would own up to this debacle. I told my friend frequent oil changes best defense unless Honda comes up with a fix that actually makes a difference. 5w-30 a likely consideration.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 122
Last edited:
My fiancee has a 2018 Civic HB with the 1.5T and 6MT. She bought it in Fall 2018 and it now has about 25,000 miles. I do the oil changes since she moved down here. So far I've done 2 - first was with Edge 0W-20 (6200-mile OCI - ran it a bit longer than I intended), and current fill is VME 0W-20. I did take a sample when I drained that Edge, and will send in next week. This current VME I'll change around 5K.

You obviously do have some fuel in your oil, but it doesn't look like it's causing a problem. At least, according to Blackstone, your wear numbers are at or below average.

Where are you located? Lots of short trips will make fuel dilution worse, as the oil needs to get up to full operating temp in order for fuel and moisture to evaporate and pass out the CV system, and cold temps make it worse, because the engine will be running extra-rich, and possibly not have the chance to lean out if the engine doesn't ever get to warm up. Suggest taking it out on some longer trips and driving it in a spirited fashion to get it nice and warm to help cook that fuel out of the oil.

Since my fiancee bought her Civic in Indiana, her factory powertrain warranty is being extended by one year, to a total of 6 years, with no mileage limit. But, only certain engine components are covered by the extension. I think it's the cams, rocker arms, and spark plugs. To my knowledge, this is only being offered to those in certain northern states. You can look up the details.

I'm not too worried about hers, as her commute is now about 12-13 miles, one way, and we use the car for out of town trips pretty frequently. And I'll stay on top of the oil changes and use a top-quality synthetic. It's only getting 0W-20 because it's still under warranty - after warranty period, I'll likely switch to something like PPPP 10W-30 - about as rock-solid stable of an oil as you can find (very low Noack volatility).

Hey OP, yes you have fuel in your oil.
While it's generally not desirable, can you state the specific problem that it is causing?

I am running 0w30 and 5w30 in my mazda , due to fuel dilution. I may pull another uoa as my wife now has shorter trips to work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
While it's generally not desirable, can you state the specific problem that it is causing?

I agree, less than 4% seems to be typical for these GDI engines...although the Honda 1.5l can be much worse.

I own a 2018 CRV, purchased new with the 1.5ll, 30k Mike's on it now. My wife drives it and loves it, but yes fuel dilution. For example when I change my oil at 3300 - 3500 miles I drain out 0.6 qts or so more than I put in, and fill capacity is 3.7 qts...don't need a UOA to figure fuel dilution, I can do it on a calculator. We live 10mi from town so no short trips, see it winter or summer. I use 0W30 vs the recommended 0W20 and change it at 3300 - 3500 miles, filter every other change.

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
[ I use 0W30 vs the recommended 0W20 and change it at 3300 - 3500 miles, filter every other change.

I think that is the key also, don't go long on the oci, unless you really do long trips regularly. I am going to pull another uoa after one of my wife's typical trips. If the 5w30 has too much viscosity loss, i will go to 0w-40.

Did you have any of the relevant PGM-FI TSBs performed?
Also what was the MM remaining % at time of sample?
Where was the oil level on the stick at the end of the OCI?

Why does Blackstone keep insisting 20-weight viscosities in the low 6s are still "in range"? Thought the real range bottom for this weight was 6.9 cSt.

John_pifer

Thanks for the reply. I am not overly concerned with it as of yet. Short trips is part of the problem...cold weather not so much. I did first OC June '19 and sampled Dec '19...this is not due to cold weather.

Only reason I got involved with this CR-V is my friend had a front end fender bender in June '19 and I offered to check fluids etc. The fumes from the dipstick were very noticeable.

Caught it in time so now we shorten OCI and run some more UOA's for documentation. I do take it for spirited drives occasionally but not often. It's destined to be a short tripper driven by a sedate driver.

I did get the oil/filter changed today. Magnatec 0w-20. Plan is to draw sample in May.

My friend also got the one extension of the warranty...but I figure it's best to come up with a plan to have OCI that make sense for this car based on a few UOA's.

What I know about LSPI I have learned from BITOG and other forums. Plan is to drive it and change the oil frequently until Honda comes up with a fix. After the UOA in May, I will approach the local dealer to see what they say.

Originally Posted by Imp4

Imp4

Never said it's causing a problem. Vehicle only has 16k on odo. This is a friend's CR-V and I just happened to stumble on this issue while checking fluids back in June '19...which is when I changed the oil for the first time. Dealer had done the previous two.

What I know about LSPI I have learned from BITOG and other forums. From what I gather.... excessive fuel in oil can cause issues if left in to the point of oil degradation.

Plan is to drive it, come up with a OCI which fits this engine n change oil on that interval.

Just trying to be proactive and learn a little about the potential issues and the current remedies from folks more knowledgeable then I on LSPI.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I am running 0w30 and 5w30 in my mazda , due to fuel dilution. I may pull another uoa as my wife now has shorter trips to work.

Spasm3

I've read going to 30 grade may help. Current plan is to run Magnatec 0w-20 one more OCI and get UOA. Just trying to set the baseline for this particular engine.

I managed to get oil/filter changed today w/Magnatec. We'll see what the UOA says in May.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Did you have any of the relevant PGM-FI TSBs performed?
Also what was the MM remaining % at time of sample?
Where was the oil level on the stick at the end of the OCI?

WagonWheel

Local dealer is pond scum and they say this issue isn't prevalent in this area (cold weather states) plus they never "saw" any issue when they did the first two oil changes. The dealer says this vehicle is within acceptable limits. Honda USA takes what a dealer says as gospel. The dealer says no go-honda says no go. Plan is to visit dealer in May after 2nd UOA and get the TSB's applied.

The Honda Maintenance Minder proudly states 50% life reminding. June '19 is when I got involved with this car. MM at that time advised 60% life reminding on oil with 1.8 % fd....after only 1400 miles.

Oil was ~3/8 inch above full mark.

Originally Posted by Danh
Why does Blackstone keep insisting 20-weight viscosities in the low 6s are still "in range"? Thought the real range bottom for this weight was 6.9 cSt.

Danh

That's for an oil guru to answer.

Best I could do is "Swami says". lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back