What oil in the new 7.3 Ford gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked and looked online but cannot seem to find what viscosity motor oil for once used in this engine… Anyone have a clue or a link?

I would guess that it's 5W-30 but…

Filler cap says 5W-30.

This new engine is a towing monster.
20.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
8 quarts of 5W30 and a FL-820S (or equivalent) filter.

It's a Ford "family tradition!"

Hank Jr.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
8 quarts of 5W30 and a FL-820S (or equivalent) filter.

✅

Originally Posted by Vstrom
Wonder why they couldn't have made it 7.2 or 7.4? Gonna be lots of confusion with a million 7.3's already out there....
smirk.gif

I've heard from a ford engineer that it was at least partially for that reason, that they chose 7.3 as the displacement of the new gas engine. The old 7.3 Diesel engine ( in Powerstoke form) has a great reputation. Even if it wasn't a Ford engine, and is really a Navistar T444E.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Wonder why they couldn't have made it 7.2 or 7.4? Gonna be lots of confusion with a million 7.3's already out there....
smirk.gif

I've heard from a ford engineer that it was at least partially for that reason, that they chose 7.3 as the displacement of the new gas engine. The old 7.3 Diesel engine ( in Powerstoke form) has a great reputation. Even if it wasn't a Ford engine, and is really a Navistar T444E.

From everything I've read about the NEW engine, it will continue the great reputation. First Ford V8 I've been interested in in over 20 years. Simple push rod powerhouse. Good job FoMoCo.

smirk.gif

Do people confuse the Coyote 5.0 with the old 302/5.0 Ford? The 7.3 diesel hasn't been made in over 15 years. I doubt there will be confusion. Ford likes tradition. If I remember right the Coyote is actually 302 cubic inches and Ford did it on purpose. By some miracle they didn't carry on the 4 inch bore they loved for decades(289-400).

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Does everyone realize the new 7.3 is a pushrod engine (OHV)? It's the first pushrod engine Ford made since the 351 Windsor in the 1995 Mustang Cobra R.
laugh.gif

Nope
wink.gif
You forgot the 5.0L Explorer, which was produced until 2001.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Does everyone realize the new 7.3 is a pushrod engine (OHV)? It's the first pushrod engine Ford made since the 351 Windsor in the 1995 Mustang Cobra R.
laugh.gif

Nope
wink.gif

Yes, you are correct.
smile.gif

laugh.gif

Nope
wink.gif

Yes, you are correct.
smile.gif

Actually the Ford Falcon AU had a 5.0L, or 5.6L (347ci) in Tickford trim, through the 2002MY.
36.gif

Im sure it has a hydraulic roller cam with roller fulcrum rockers and standard tips, big bore, lots of low end torque to keep it out of the high rpm most of its life. Any good synthetic 5w30 should perform great in this motor. For those who dare to be different T6 5w40 would also be a great choice.

Originally Posted by sopususer
Originally Posted by 02SE
smirk.gif

From everything I've read about the NEW engine, it will continue the great reputation. First Ford V8 I've been interested in in over 20 years. Simple push rod powerhouse. Good job FoMoCo.

+1 And no DI. Nice!

laugh.gif

Nope
wink.gif

Yes, you are correct.
smile.gif

they also made the 460 up to 1997 maybe to 1998

also some 3.0 and 4.0's were pushrod engines into the 2000's

smirk.gif

I can hear the Autozone auto stoners now. The 7.3 doesn't have spark plugs! Ford never made at 7.3 gasser etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back