2014 Mini Cooper JCW recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a '14 Mini Cooper JCW convertible (so second generation). Looking for oil recs, surprised that I can't find much here.

Manual recommends 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-40, or 5W-30, BMW Longlife-01 / BMW Longlife-01 FE

Since these LL-01 seem to be a moving target, seeing what the latest recs are. I had been using Pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 or castrol edge 0w40/0w30 on my '01 BMW e46, which had similar specs for the oil.

As is the case when I spend too much time here, I'm going down a rabbit hole of different specs, tests, etc.

What's the TL;DR version for availability at my FLAPS or Wally world?

I recommend turning around and selling it before it drives you up the wall with shoddy build quality and insane repair costs.

If you're not a stickler for using exactly the spec in the book I'd probably go with Mobil 1 ESP (LL04). If you do want to stick with LL01 specs Mobil or Castrol 0w40 are good choices too, but I think they may have recently lost LL01 because it is not being approved anymore and the previous certification timed out. If you really want to stick to something that has LL01FE on the bottle I'd probably go with the Mini/BMW 0w30 (which is Shell/Pennzoil) which can be had for decent price online.

The B48 engine you have is good for everything from LL01 - LL14FE oil. Basically anything from 0w-20 to 5w-40.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...e-general-note/00-00-maintenance/1PSryV8

I have a 2016 JCW and run Castrol Edge 5w-40 because it has a cert and is still under warranty.

There is a guy on craigslist selling 6qt cases of Genuine MINI/BMW 0w-30 for $24/case as well.

Think you'll be good with anything you listed or is reco'd here.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I recommend turning around and selling it before it drives you up the wall with shoddy build quality and insane repair costs.

As usual, a question about a European car brings out the BITOG "read testers". You haven't even sat in one, I'd bet.

I run BMW TPT 0W-30, but any of the above recommended oils will work fine.

Are there other certs I should look for aside from LL-01? others that are "long life"?

Originally Posted by Nola_mike
Are there other certs I should look for aside from LL-01? others that are "long life"?

I'd just use an LL-01 or LL-01FE oil.

Right, that's what I was looking for, but the LL-01 that I had previously used (Castrol edge, m1, Pennzoil Platinum) are either no longer LL-01 or harder to find. I can't find a standard easy to find LL-01FE from one of the big guys. As usual probably overthinking. A "euro" 0w-30/40 like the Castrol is fine I'm sure even though it's no longer LL-01. I mean, my e46 has 230k miles using those oils, so...

BMW is letting the LL-01 fade away, so oils that are certified for it are harder to find. LL-01 suitable is not. If you are not trying to satisfy a warranty, any Euro oil that meets MB 229.5 will be more than sufficient.

Originally Posted by Nola_mike
Right, that's what I was looking for, but the LL-01 that I had previously used (Castrol edge, m1, Pennzoil Platinum) are either no longer LL-01 or harder to find. I can't find a standard easy to find LL-01FE from one of the big guys. As usual probably overthinking. A "euro" 0w-30/40 like the Castrol is fine I'm sure even though it's no longer LL-01. I mean, my e46 has 230k miles using those oils, so...

Your target should be MB229.5 as it is more stringent than LL01.
LL01FE is energy saving oil and in my case, will never find its way to any Euro car I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back