Is premium better for Skyactiv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this subject has probably been debated many times on here, but there is still many diffrent opinions on this.

I drive a 2018 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 Skyactiv engine, automatic 6 speed.

Is there any advantange using premium for maybe a better fuel economy, maybe a bit more power? Or to keep the direct injection system working properly for a long time.

I did not find any official documentation from Mazda Canada other than my manual. Theu just mention regular OR higher. But why OR HIGHER? They dont say if its better or not, its confusing.

Please share you opinions.

Thanks!

premium is .50/gal more than regular in my area; if fuel economy is defined as cost / mile driven then no way are you going to get ROI

Last edited:
You will gain power and fuel economy - and of course the possible higher level of detergents. In my experience the mpg gain does not quite amount to the price difference, but as said there are power and detergent benefits.

Use what the car calls for and don't spend a penny more. There have been cases that higher octane than required will give you worse mpg. I have a 2.0L skyactiv btw and it runs well on regular 87 octane (what it's called for).

Last edited:
I don't like it but I use it. I don't get better power or fuel economy but I get considerable less pinging. On 87 I can press the case peddle and it sounds like chains clanking from the engine. With 93 that goes away

I think it is a case of the car will run on regular unleaded but it is a sly way for them to say you really ought to be using premium gasoline. Once the sale is made it doesn't cost Mazda anything.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I don't like it but I use it. I don't get better power or fuel economy but I get considerable less pinging. On 87 I can press the case peddle and it sounds like chains clanking from the engine. With 93 that goes away

with your mazda 6 ?

Regular used in 2 Skyactiv 1998cc (2.0l) daily drivers with good results.

If I knew I was going to be driving rolling hills with any pep at all I'd dose the tank with a little 'spark advance' fuel.

Of course I have no idea what goes on in the hot zone.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
You will gain power and fuel economy - and of course the possible higher level of detergents. In my experience the mpg gain does not quite amount to the price difference, but as said there are power and detergent benefits.

This is not true. Higher compression engines yes but itd be specified in the user manual. If it states 87, its 99% likely to be a waste. Ive never noticed any difference on any of my vehicles. Same mpg and power.

I dont know if i buy intothe detergent benefits..regular having the minimum standards, ive never had any fuel system issues, as most others, so hard to prove those detergents change anything.

Not without the turbo, in my opinion. I ran 87 in mine. What finally killed the car was the HPFP and the FPR going out at the same time. I blame that on gas quality, as it happened 5min after a fill-up, and they both died at that moment. Very odd. Nothing to do with octane, though. I tried higher octanes and got no difference in power or mpg.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
These engines have a slightly high compression ratio.

91 octane

It honestly never mattered. I tried it to no benefit. Mazda did some amazing tuning and engineering.

Last edited:
This is another subjective matter. But you should try it out for yourself and be the judge. It is your car anyways.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
These engines have a slightly high compression ratio.

91 octane

It's one of the magic of direct injection engines: higher compression without requiring higher octane. Ignition is more precise, so the engine doesn't ping or knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back