Crack above oil filter mount,Honda Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to chase down this oil leak on my Accord. I had it up on ramps, poking around with a flashlight and saw this. The area I'm referring to is that spiderweb looking "cracking" right above the oil filter mounting area (you can see the oil pooling up right below it). Is this in fact cracking or is it just cheap aluminum casting? Is this a removable part or is the the engine block? What's the possibility of this being cracks, causing the oil leak? I see no oil seepage from that spiderwebbing though. What would this repair entail,if in fact it does need repairing?
[Linked Image]

Looks like casting marks in the oil pan if the picture is upside down?. Leave it be unless you see leaks coming from it. If you do, replace the oil pan. It's sealed with hondabond.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Looks like casting marks in the oil pan if the picture is upside down?. Leave it be unless you see leaks coming from it. If you do, replace the oil pan. It's sealed with hondabond.

I took that picture from the top looking down,with the hood open.

That is a casting cold shut. Typically located at the farthest point from the casting pouring cup and sprue. Localized cooling of the metal results in a skin forming on the cast material. When the casting fills out and solidifies, the cold shut is visually detectable versus the rest of the casting. Use google to educate yourself further.

As long as the condition is not excessive or egregious, no harm or reduced performance will result. That is what you have in this case.

Carry on.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Did you post about this before ? I seem to recall posting a link to the replacement part previously. Remembering more now, I recall Googling about this and it's not an uncommon leak point with the gasket between this housing and the engine. Look here, https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda...;area=2&section=1&assembly=20325, at parts 14 and 21. (3) bolts hold this housing in place.

That said, those markings aren't anything to be concerned about as there's clearly no oil seeping out. The wall thickness on that part is probably 6-10 mm thick.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Did you post about this before ? I seem to recall posting a link to the replacement part previously. Remembering more now, I recall Googling about this and it's not an uncommon leak point with the gasket between this housing and the engine. Look here, https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda...;area=2&section=1&assembly=20325, at parts 14 and 21. (3) bolts hold this housing in place.

That said, those markings aren't anything to be concerned about as there's clearly no oil seeping out. The wall thickness on that part is probably 6-10 mm thick.

Yeah I'd posted about the oil filter mount,but this was the first time I've noticed those cracks in the aluminum and it freaked me out.

File the suspected crack just a little. If a crack it goes deeper than near the surface.

That "cracked" appearance is common on Honda blocks and it doesn't mean it is cracked.

If the oil is really coming out there (rather than running down from somewhere higher up, like the valve cover), you would replace the two o-ring style gaskets that seal the filter mount to the block.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2010Civic
If it isn't leaking I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that's the problem, he is trying to track down a leak.

Replace the 2 O-rings on the oil filter adapter, Just hope it's not the Bedplate that's leaking (The silicone seal right above the filter adapter) as it's major repair.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
File the suspected crack just a little. If a crack it goes deeper than near the surface.

NO! If it doesn't appear to be leaking leave such things alone. It's a common and not problematic result of metal casting in this case.

Yep, just casting flashing lines on the surface - no cracks. Quite common on aluminum engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back