Coyote filter comparison and possible problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing these filters for my 2018 5.0 coyote. I typically use the Fram Ultra and have never had any issues with them. This time though I used some of my recent stash of Champions from rock auto's clearance sale. The issue comes from the gasket though. On these filters it's much thicker and wider then the other filters. I'm wondering if the gasket impedes on the oil opening as showed in the picture. My reasoning for this is that I've developed a leak after a cold snap. Leaving puddles where I park it. I swapped out the filter with another champion and the leak continued. Then I changed it out for a motorcraft which I don't like at all but I figured it might be going to the dealer anyways... well the leak stopped. The dealer wasn't able to find a leak after a dye test. Are these wide gaskets which are the same outside diameter but smaller inside diameter causing an issue being that close to that oil opening causing a leak? I'm baffled...

Weights on the filters for fun:
Fram Ultra 313 grams
Motorcraft 292 grams
Champion 343 grams

9084988A-30FD-45B3-B7D6-4F8FE846601D.jpeg

32C96FCB-2C57-434D-91CE-7E78B0193389.jpeg

21349EE2-3DE3-4E7D-83BA-BF13692B3DE3.jpeg

Originally Posted by Leo99
I'd stop using the Champion filters.

Yup, along with the mantra: "don't fall for sale prices on cheap filters from RockAuto" (they're on sale for a reason)

Originally Posted by Leo99
I'd stop using the Champion filters.

Whew !!! That was a tuff decision 🤔🤔🤔🥴🥴🤣🤣

Well that is disappointing. I had considered buying a few of those discounted Champion filters myself as they appeared to be decent filters from the dissection posts here about a year ago.

I would clean that whole area around the filter gasket imprint. Put a new oil filter on. Drive it 25'ish miles and recheck for leaks. Are those the oil cooler lines?

I had a leak on my Champion that i installed on my 5.3 chevy. I always tighten by hand only. I took an oil filter wrench and got another half turn that i wouldnt have gotten by hand.. leak gone.

I think I've sworn myself off of the champions. Though the one that was leaking on me to start with looked great when I cut it open. Very well constructed filter for the money. But I can't have them leaking on me. I tried to hand tighten it a little more. Still had drips so I changed the filter with another champion. Cleaned thoroughly and still had leaks for a few days before putting on a different kind of filter which seemed to stop the leak.

Those are cooler lines oldhp.

I'm going to be monitoring for usage/leaks over the next while and hopefully it's solved. If so I have a place to put the bulk of champions that I bought. Which sucks because they are such a nice looking filter. For me though they aren't cutting it. Back to Fram Ultras I think.

Maybe if I really torqued it on there it wouldn't leak, but it would be a pain to get it off when it's oil change time. I use the same moderate force that I always use when putting one on. But the gasket is a lot thicker and wider then other filters for this application, maybe they need brute force? I'm just chalking this up to a lesson learned and writing an apology letter to my Fram Ultra filters for cheating on them. I hope they take me back!

I wouldn't blame the Champion filters without more facts, but that's me. Federal Mogul, Fel Pro, knows how to make gaskets.

I really hate to lay the blame. But I tried two of them. Both left puddles where I parked. Changed to another brand and it's not leaking a drop. I really like their construction especially after cutting one open. But they aren't working for me. Maybe they need to be installed way tighter. Or looser... this is the only filter I've ever have to leak out of the gasket.

From the pictures it looks like the wider Champion gasket can lay over the oil feed hole on the right in your 3rd picture. The other filters gaskets are narrower and probably dont overlap that opening. Putting it on 'farmer tight' would probably fix the problem....It's a shame because as you said the Champion filters really do look first rate....just this compatibility problem. Luckily you have another 2 options there.

Originally Posted by advocate
I really hate to lay the blame. But I tried two of them. Both left puddles where I parked. Changed to another brand and it's not leaking a drop. I really like their construction especially after cutting one open. But they aren't working for me. Maybe they need to be installed way tighter. Or looser... this is the only filter I've ever have to leak out of the gasket.

How much are you tightening the filter after the base gasket makes first contact? 3/4 turn or ??

I wouldn't use the thicker gasket filters just because it does look like the thicker gasket goes over the filter mount oil feed hole some.

Once it really slows down I usually give a good 1/4-1/2 turn. I had first tried tightening the filter but the leak continued. So I swapped to another one and gave it a good 3/4 turn once snug. Still leaked. Keep in mind that this happened after a really cold couple of weeks. I had no leaks for 3000 kms on this interval. Then it started leaving puddles. With a different filter on now it hasn't dropped any on the ground. Maybe these just don't like the cold. I have a motorcraft on for the rest of this interval. Then I'll be using strictly fram ultras like I usually do.

Originally Posted by advocate
Once it really slows down I usually give a good 1/4-1/2 turn. I had first tried tightening the filter but the leak continued. So I swapped to another one and gave it a good 3/4 turn once snug. Still leaked. Keep in mind that this happened after a really cold couple of weeks. I had no leaks for 3000 kms on this interval. Then it started leaving puddles. With a different filter on now it hasn't dropped any on the ground. Maybe these just don't like the cold. I have a motorcraft on for the rest of this interval. Then I'll be using strictly fram ultras like I usually do.

Could also be the base seam leaking, not the rubber gasket.

The only fl500 sub i had issues with was a fram ultra that weeped, maybe a bad install but i am completely satisfied with the Royal purple filter.

Most filters I've bought over the past couple years have the tightness spec right on the box, and the lowest I ever remember seeing was 3/4 turn. I think my last Napa Gold showed 3/4-1 turn on it... so it's possible you definitely aren't getting it tight enough once the system is pressurized.

One thing to remember is psi.... that's per square inch. So it makes sense that a wider, thicker gasket will need a higher torque value because there's more area exposed to the full oil pressure, and more clamp force is needed to offset this. I haven't driven a coyote so you'll have to educate me, but the last Ram I drove had a digital oil readout on the dash. When cold, it would EASILY indicate 100psi of oil pressure... I'd say try it once more next filter change, and use a strap wrench if needed- get one full turn on it and see if it still drips.

sadly we do not have an actual oil pressure gauge. Just a dummy gauge. But I would imagine that pressures get quite high especially since this started leaking right after a cold snap that was -30 or so. I'm just worried about getting the filter off. I usually use a filter wrench on these to get them off. By hand I could not get the one off that was leaking badly. It was on quite tight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back