In the Market for a Travel Vehicle Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Id go for a Camry with the 4 cylinder. They have enough power, past couple years they have 206 hp.. I have the V6 plant in my Venza.. granted its heavier than a Camry but gas mileage not its strong point.. im averaging 14.5 mpg in winter but thats with 90% short trips.. if you did all hwy with a venza v6 you would see about 24-26mpg. The 4cyl camry, with the 8 speed and 206 hp 4 cyl engine 2018 year up, should do 35 mpg pretty consistently... my rental camry a few years back (had the 178 hp 4 cylinder) got about 34 mpg going 80mph from Montreal right through Chicago and back.. That car kept up well and i never thought it was a slouch. Id opt for a 2018-2019 Camry in your situation. Will have ample space yet great mpg and very low maintenance costs. Good luck!

Hard to believe 35 MPG in a 2.5L Camry.

The fiancée and I take pretty frequent trips in her Civic HB 6MT 1.5T, and we aren't hitting 35 MPG. Usually around 33 MPG.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Id go for a Camry with the 4 cylinder. They have enough power, past couple years they have 206 hp.. I have the V6 plant in my Venza.. granted its heavier than a Camry but gas mileage not its strong point.. im averaging 14.5 mpg in winter but thats with 90% short trips.. if you did all hwy with a venza v6 you would see about 24-26mpg. The 4cyl camry, with the 8 speed and 206 hp 4 cyl engine 2018 year up, should do 35 mpg pretty consistently... my rental camry a few years back (had the 178 hp 4 cylinder) got about 34 mpg going 80mph from Montreal right through Chicago and back.. That car kept up well and i never thought it was a slouch. Id opt for a 2018-2019 Camry in your situation. Will have ample space yet great mpg and very low maintenance costs. Good luck!

The fiancée and I take pretty frequent trips in her Civic HB 6MT 1.5T, and we aren't hitting 35 MPG. Usually around 33 MPG.

Not hard to believe. My Camry can do 36-37 mpg on the highway
21.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994

21.gif

Maybe at 55 MPH on flat ground. But we usually cruise at 75-85 MPH.

Camry's are always my go to recommendation for a vehicle. But, IDK how large/small you are nor your comfort level in a vehicle. 2015-17 Camry LE 4 cyl should suffice.

Company pays mileage which may only cover fuel. I believe you can write off the other factors such as wear & tear and other maintenance items however, you'll have to exceed a certain amount of dollars in which you might do, IDK!

Last edited:
Unfortunately Ford Explorer is a fleet car for cops, rental companies etc. they throw some nice bits in to pass off as nice consumer vehicle too. The redesign apparently is awful too.

You sure you can handle the intense depreciation on Ford?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Camry's are always my go to recommendation for a vehicle. But, IDK how large/small you are nor your comfort level in a vehicle. 2015-17 Camry LE 4 cyl should suffice.

Company pays mileage which may only cover fuel. I believe you can write off the other factors such as wear & tear and other maintenance items however, you'll have to exceed a certain amount of dollars in which you might do, IDK!

I'm an older guy but young at heart, about 5'9" 180. I like comfort but not a luxury guy, although it would be nice. I agree that comfort is important here to some degree. Nobody wants to be squeezed into a can with insufficient power to get wound up on the highway and spend all day in there, week after week. Biggest travel days likely Monday and Friday. It'll be less travel once I relocate to the corporate office location. The Lincoln Town Car suggestion caught me off guard and they're nice, but when I told the wife about it, she turned her nose up. She associates those with blue hairs and I'm guilty of the same. She won't be going with me but after a couple years I'll settle into an office and whatever I buy will be a commuter or 2nd vehicle. I think mileage paid is equal to maximum write off per IRS, so it's pretty stout, not just gas money. I'll spend a fair amount of time on the phone and most cars can accommodate that well. Really like the wireless charger in the Avalon suggested. A lot of cars are geared toward Apple but I use Androids.

I'd been leaning toward Toyota, thinking Honda has great reliability but the Civic I had wasn't comfortable on long trips, but not sure about an Accord. Was wondering about the Hyundai and Kia but I'm basically unfamiliar. I've been avoiding Nissan just based on what I've heard about their reliability. Whatever it is would be low mileage as possible.

I had an 02 camry 4 cyl, 5 speed, got 32 MPG, and they only got better. I'd look for a camry hybrid or 4 cyl, the geezer version with 65 series tires, or a Fusion.

The hyundai 2.4 motors are blowing up left and right, maybe take a break on that brand until it clears up.

My Prius was lovely when I was getting 58 cents a mile for work, paid for itself, but it dips to 45 MPG on the open highway which is nearly achievable by conventional cars.

Originally Posted by riff1006
Was wondering about the Hyundai and Kia but I'm basically unfamiliar.

As was I before I purchased mine. I was always a domestic V8 guy, Ford modulars or Chevy LSX. First 4-banger I've ever owned. It is hands-down the best car I've owned. Affordable, reliable, simple, and ridiculously fuel efficient. No turbos, no DI, no LSPI, no timing belt, no cylinder deactivation, no nonsense. Just straight up old school reliability in a new school car. Bonus points for the stellar 6-speed auto trans that always knows what gear it wants. I can't recommend it enough. If it's totaled tomorrow, I will replace it with an identical one, no questions asked. It's only quirk is shared with almost all Hyundais: use an OEM or WIX/NG filter ONLY. All of the others make the engine sound like a lawnmower (rattle).

The girlfriend has a low-mileage 2013 Civic. I can't express what I'd like about it here, but let's just say it single-handedly turned me off of modern Hondas. Hate it. Especially that atrocity they call a 5-speed auto. Up, down, up, down, up, down...
mad.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
The hyundai 2.4 motors are blowing up left and right, maybe take a break on that brand until it clears up.

Correct and incorrect at the same time. Yes, the 2.4L (and some 2.0L, both the Theta II family) engines are not good. I'm referring to the Nu family engines, 1.8L specifically on the 2011-2016 Elantras. I've yet to see a single report of bearing (or any other) issues on these. Solid engines.

So correct, stay away from Hyundai 2.4L/2.0L engines. But incorrect, don't avoid Hyundai altogether. The rest are excellent cars.

The town car is a grampy car in my house,i have grand marquis. When there is a road trip the kids take the grand marquis,reliable,easy to drive,hiway mileage is over 20 and if you keep it at 70 it will get 25/26 mpg. All while you sitting on a couch. Town car is more creature comforts,you are living in this vehicle 🚗 might as well have room and reliability,whtever you get enjoy the scenery and look out for the bears

My only advice is to test drive at highway speeds. Some cars, like smaller Hondas can sound like a wind tunnel on the highway.

I recently took at test drive at CarMax (didn't buy) and the lady said their standard route was on city streets up to 45-50 MPH. Had to tell her that I'll take it on the freeway as well. She obliged.

21.gif

Absolutely you can. My '12 has averaged over 31 mpg over the past year and a half with considerable short trips and lots of winter driving.
I've had a number of tanks at 39+, and usually drive between 70 and 80 on the freeway, 60-65 on two-lanes.
Conditions are probably terrible if I can't pull 35 out of mine.

Originally Posted by wog
The town car is a grampy car in my house,i have grand marquis. When there is a road trip the kids take the grand marquis,reliable,easy to drive,hiway mileage is over 20 and if you keep it at 70 it will get 25/26 mpg. All while you sitting on a couch. Town car is more creature comforts,you are living in this vehicle 🚗 might as well have room and reliability,whtever you get enjoy the scenery and look out for the bears

This is what I would do. It would be far quieter and more comfortable than any of the other suggestions for long hours at the cost of more fuel. For me it would be the difference between arriving rested vs. cramped & sore. It's up to you whether it would be worth the extra fuel cost. Being able to buy one cheap would make up for it some.

Just a guesstimate on fuel cost, if you run 3k/month you're looking at about $300/month in gas for the Town Car vs. about $210 for something that gets 35 mpg.

I drive quite a few highway miles, mostly in rental cars. My shortest trip is 400 miles one way.

Believe it or not, I prefer the conventional 4 cylinder Altima. As long as it's not the low end model. The ones with adjustable leather seats are Sooooo comfy for me. They get 36MPG at fast highway speeds (let's just say fast enough to be very expensive if discovered) and they drive and corner very well, with a sporty feel.

Yes, I know the Nissan CVT can be a problem. That's what extended warranties are for. In my case, they are just rental cars, so I don't care. I really like 'em as a "whole package" kind of thing. Good MPG, comfy, quiet, roomy, inexpensive to rent/purchase.

A couple years ago my wife and I took a 3000 mile road trip with my daughter and her husband in their 2016 Impala.
We traveled over the Rocky mountains and the deserts and the car was flawless.
Cruising at 80-85 MPH it was whisper quiet and smooth as silk.
I just cant imagine a much better road car at any price.
I think a Camray would be a good choice.
Someone posted that an Elantra would also be good choice.
And there are several others.
Don't over think it and wind up with buyers remorse.

21.gif

Nah it's at 65 mph.

I had a 97' Camry with the 2.2L a few years back. I drove it up to Montana and back, floored in the mountains, 75 mph to usually 80 mph (drove straight through up there, 20 hours with a small break and stopping for gas). Got 32 mpg round trip and it's rated for 28.

Sioux Falls and western Nebraska scream "AWD" to me. If you end up doing any driving in winter, a 2wd will leave you wanting.

You'll also want a comfortable seat, because that's going to be a LOT of windshield time.

And I'd personally want a port injected NA engine, to be able to do extended OCIs--easily done and the smart choice with that amount of almost all highway driving.

You may want to consider a Dodge Charger or Toyota Highlander, both rated 27mpg highway, or maybe the Toyota Rav4 at 33mpg.

Rav4 would really struggle against the wind though. And it does blow hard across that area most of the time.

Last edited:

I rent a lot of cars. My most recent rental (last week) was a '19 Camry SE with the 2.5. I put 410 miles on that rental, in mixed driving city streets, and 75-80 mph on the highway. It used just over 10 gallons of gas, for an average of just over 40 mpg.

Considering that you may be driving in SD and Nebraska during the winter, I would also look at a Subaru Legacy. Highway mileage is decent, mid-30's and you are very unlikely to be stuck in a snow or ice storm. Bad weather hits hard and fast on the plains. They are also very comfortable and exceptionally smooth driving, and rides like a luxury car, especially when well equipped in the current or past generation.

For good mileage, current generation Camrys get around 45 mpg @ 75 mph, a little better overall with the hybrid version. Fusion Hybrid is anther good choice - reliable - and with similar mileage. The regular 2.5 Camry has a longer highway range because of the larger gas tank, around 700 mi.

The last generation Accord (pre-turbo) is another good option and also widely available.

Last edited:
The Toyota fans are real.
crazy2.gif

I was in the process of typing a novel asking what the Toyota hype is all about when it hit me...

The Camrys aren't supposed to compete with the Elantras. I forgot that Corollas even existed.

Nobody has mentioned a Corolla...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back